Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone remove there motor in there garage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

first thing i disconnect is driveshaft, then unplug all wiring, put front end on the parts store plastic ramps. remove rad.,lid, front stuff, etc.
i always pull engine with trans, i found that it saves me more time over trying to remove bh bolts. i use a regular hoist, and 2 ramps. dont even unbolt hood or remve bumper, never damaged anything til date. have removed both lt and ls engines. around 25-30 total just in my driveway. alone usually. also i guarantee u will save a significant amount of time if have any more mods such as clutch, tc. whatever. since the engine is alredy out,
mite as well replace springs, rod bolts, clutch. i tend to get carried away
Old 05-28-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Really very easy to come out the bottum. Take out the DS, torque arm, and Y pipe. Disconnect all electrical connectors. Unbolt AC ompressor from motor. un hook 2 from brake lines from ABS block. disconnect steering shaft.

Then it is a matterof the 4 bolts on Trans crossmember and 6 bolts on the k member.

Hood stays on Radiator stays in the car. Very simple. Headers and all accesories can stay on the motor. Like I said before if I do it at work on a lift I can have the motor out of the car in 1 hour. At home on the floor with a cherry picker I can have it out of the car in under 3 hours.
agreed its not to much work to take it out at all.. with a lift its like a max of 3 hours... installing takes a bit longer if your like me and take your time and be patient
Old 05-28-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a hydraulic scissors lift that takes the car about 28 inches off the floor. Would that be high enough for a bottom removal?
Old 05-28-2009, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BadgeZ28
I have a hydraulic scissors lift that takes the car about 28 inches off the floor. Would that be high enough for a bottom removal?

I don't think that will be high enough. measure from the floor to the top
if the intake. you need to get the car that high. assuming whatever you set the cradle on doesn't sit any higher than that.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Teching In

your saving time/headache on the reassembly (prime power steering, bleed brakes, getting an alignment, aligning the k-member, etc...)...........it may take you longer to get the motor out the car (technically) by the top method but if you add up all the time you take accessories off (bottom way) the motor when its out the car its the equivalent if you were to pull from top..............subtract this time from the top method and your motor is out very quickly, if not faster than if you were to drop out bottom
Old 05-28-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

if you do it correct.. your alignment wont be to far out of wack, the k-member isnt to big of a deal. and none of the power steering lines get unhooked.. and the 5 minutes to bleed your brakes? out of the bottom is my preference.. its more "convenient". to each his own
Old 05-28-2009, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by A_Cool_Name
your saving time/headache on the reassembly (prime power steering, bleed brakes, getting an alignment, aligning the k-member, etc...)...........it may take you longer to get the motor out the car (technically) by the top method but if you add up all the time you take accessories off (bottom way) the motor when its out the car its the equivalent if you were to pull from top..............subtract this time from the top method and your motor is out very quickly, if not faster than if you were to drop out bottom

Well I have never had to prime the power steering since I never break that system open. Also there isb't much to aligning the k member and I have never had to do an alignment after having the k member out since I never unbolt the rack from it or take any suspension apart. also the K member has aligning pins that go into the body so it is always in the same place.

The only extra is bleeding the front brakes and that is simple.

Lets look at it this way. I did a motor sway for a friend of mine. I did it at work using a lift so I had that going for me. Motor was a long block. had front and rear covers and valve covers on it no pan. I drove the car in the shop and drove it back out of the shop in 5.5 hours droping everything out the bottum, bleeding brakes swaping clutch parts, oil pan accesories everything. I would like to see someone do that pulling the motor out of the top. Even if I would have done this at home with no lift I could of had it done in under 8 hours.

Have you ever dropped the motor out of the bottum. I think if you did it once you would see that it really is easy.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A_Cool_Name
take it out the top, a lot less work...........don't have to worry about holding your car up with a cherry picker
Im swaping the K member, thats why im doing it......
Old 05-29-2009, 06:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Really very easy to come out the bottum. Take out the DS, torque arm, and Y pipe. Disconnect all electrical connectors. Unbolt AC ompressor from motor. un hook 2 from brake lines from ABS block. disconnect steering shaft.

Then it is a matterof the 4 bolts on Trans crossmember and 6 bolts on the k member.

Hood stays on Radiator stays in the car. Very simple. Headers and all accesories can stay on the motor. Like I said before if I do it at work on a lift I can have the motor out of the car in 1 hour. At home on the floor with a cherry picker I can have it out of the car in under 3 hours.
its true...seen it myself
Old 05-29-2009, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSdreamz
its true...seen it myself
yup , yup.

out the bottom !!
Old 05-31-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

5.5 hours wow...it took me just under 5 hours to take out just my transmission..and I thought everything went smooth
Old 05-31-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

appreciate all the feedback I believe I will go thru the bottomasim going to tryand get a tubular crossmember done the same time I swap motors.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NemeSS
first thing i disconnect is driveshaft, then unplug all wiring, put front end on the parts store plastic ramps. remove rad.,lid, front stuff, etc.
i always pull engine with trans, i found that it saves me more time over trying to remove bh bolts. i use a regular hoist, and 2 ramps. dont even unbolt hood or remve bumper, never damaged anything til date. have removed both lt and ls engines. around 25-30 total just in my driveway. alone usually. also i guarantee u will save a significant amount of time if have any more mods such as clutch, tc. whatever. since the engine is alredy out,
mite as well replace springs, rod bolts, clutch. i tend to get carried away
its doable but i would atleast remove the hood and personally i would remove the bumper because if the hoist shifts forward as you lift you may end up with a scratch.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

I have done both way many times, And to me I feel the top is easy if you are working by yourself. If you go out the bottom, you might want an extra hand just in case to help get the k-member, trans., and engine out from under the car!
I had a problem on my VERY 1st time taking it out the bottom. My hoist was wanting to tip over when I had the car in the air. I had to reposition it and everything went smooth. But then the hoist was in my way when I wanted to pull it out from under the car. NOW I know where to hook up the hoist and how to position it and it's all a piece of cake! I will tell you that for your fist time taking it out the bottom, your going to get frustrated. But your 2nd time around is a piece of cake!
Good Luck and if you want to look at some detailed pics, Check out my F-Quick page... http://www.fquick.com/LT1Formula007
And go to my pics of the white 1998 Z28! I have tons of pictures of my progress with the car!

James
Old 06-07-2009, 04:57 PM
10 Second Club

Bottom, ive got a pic or two......

Old 06-07-2009, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

i did all of mine and didnt put a single scratch or scuff on the car, ive helped my friends with their motor installs so this was my 4th time doing this. it definatly gets easier and quicker the more you do.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cape T/A
i did all of mine and didnt put a single scratch or scuff on the car, ive helped my friends with their motor installs so this was my 4th time doing this. it definatly gets easier and quicker the more you do.
Clean car man. Looks great
Old 06-07-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a couple of buds that will be helping with the removal I'm wondering with help is the bottom better? From what I'm told the top is easier. Gotta make a decision by this coming Saturday.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by maxgee
I have a couple of buds that will be helping with the removal I'm wondering with help is the bottom better? From what I'm told the top is easier. Gotta make a decision by this coming Saturday.
I've seen the motor come out of the top, it may be easier if your not worried about scratches. But it usually takes some banging arround to get it out the top, espically if you take the trans with it. The way i see it is that it was put in the bottom from the factory so thats the way i would do it. Just get some wheel dollies to put under the engine and the tranny and roll it out.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

ITS ALOT EASIER COMING OUT THE BOTTOM THAN THE TOP! unless you like being frustrated id take it out the bottom. cape ta and others helped on mine and other friends cars and its the easiest route.