Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any data on the Darton MID block setups?

Old 11-07-2003, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any data on the Darton MID block setups?

I know some shops are moving toward these now, the Darton Modular Integrated Deck. Anyone have any data on how this setup is fairing over-all? Pros/Cons?
Old 11-07-2003, 10:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It works great we have used a couple of them. They are very strong and relyable. I would rec. them to anyone going big bore.

Nate
Old 11-08-2003, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

What can go wrong with one of these setups?
Old 11-08-2003, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for slightly jacking your thread here Cannibal, but maybe if somebody in the know responds here, they can answer this too...

On the Darton page they mention that your "local machine shop" can do the machine work needed to fit the sleeves. Do these sleeves still require a CNC machine to fit them?
Old 11-08-2003, 11:02 AM
9 Second Club

I did a lot of research on this before deciding to have TSP build me a 383 stroker. Here's what I have found:

The Darton block takes several months to get (from Darton).

They have had o-ring problems in the past.

Scouring the Internet, I could only find two LS1's that actually have had them and put some miles on them. One of them has blown-up (don't know if it's block related). The other is on this board and has had some issues smoking based on his recent posts (again I don't know if it's block related). There may be several out there without any issues. I just haven't been able to find them in my quest for information.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I still really can't sway myself from buying the C5R block. It's the only fool-proof way to go for big cubes, IMO. Yes, it does cost $6125 shipped to my door but that's far worth it to me for never having to worry about sleeves, etc.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

MMS is putting a Darton wet sleeved 427 in my car. Should be up and running by the end of next week. It did take them about 8 months to get the block from Darton. It has the new "revised" sleeves. The outside of the sleeves have ridges so the coolant can travel between the overlapping portions of the sleeves. The ridges also create more surface area to help keep everything cool. It better be pretty darn strong to handle all the extra air we're giving it! Here are some pics (bigger ones are on my website).

Old 11-08-2003, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Who does the work is probably the most important part of how well a sleeved motor holds up. my .02
Old 11-08-2003, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am also having a Darton wet sleeve 427 being built. I guess like the post goes, everyone is just getting theres now, or still in the process. Just to make all of you feel better about waiting, I waited for my block also. I got it after about 4 months. I am 99% sure that Darton themselves sleeved my block. If not then I wasnt told by JPR who was putting the sleeves IN the block. Regardless I was told by JPR that he block had a 6 moth warranty. I dont think that will help me much since I will get the motor back end Nov, then spend Dec, Jan, Feb, and March waiting aroung to race. If a problem happens before I even Start racing, then I would be pissed. I cant really contribute much else. Lets hope this works for ALL our sakes. TTT
Old 11-08-2003, 09:17 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
I still really can't sway myself from buying the C5R block. It's the only fool-proof way to go for big cubes, IMO. Yes, it does cost $6125 shipped to my door but that's far worth it to me for never having to worry about sleeves, etc.
Is there something wrong with your MTI block?If not why would you blow 6 grand on a new block.I'm a little confused here.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 422 SS
Is there something wrong with your MTI block?If not why would you blow 6 grand on a new block.I'm a little confused here.
Piece of mind baby, pice of mind. $6000 will go a long way towards that easy sleep at night. He doesnt want this to happen to his dry sleeve
Old 11-08-2003, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

LEVI,

If your going to go for it i don't see how you could wrong with LPE's Darton Sleeve as you know they have r&d the crap out of their new darton set up and they are offering it for sale now with a warranty, etc. for aobut 1/2 the price of the C5r block. That would seem like a real logical decsion to me and a choice that was not available to me a couple of months ago when i decided to go with the C5R block which is WAY TO EXPENSIVE in my honest opinion!
Old 11-09-2003, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bear
Piece of mind baby, pice of mind. $6000 will go a long way towards that easy sleep at night. He doesnt want this to happen to his dry sleeve
Bear hit it on the head
Old 11-09-2003, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MTI 427 C5 Roadster
LEVI,

If your going to go for it i don't see how you could wrong with LPE's Darton Sleeve as you know they have r&d the crap out of their new darton set up and they are offering it for sale now with a warranty, etc. for aobut 1/2 the price of the C5r block. That would seem like a real logical decsion to me and a choice that was not available to me a couple of months ago when i decided to go with the C5R block which is WAY TO EXPENSIVE in my honest opinion!
Is their sleeve setup the MID one or just the Darton dry sleeves? BTW, where is the info for LPEs process?

Last edited by CANNIBAL; 11-09-2003 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:53 AM
Restricted User

How many big bore people are actually running with no issues. Just about everyone I know of that has a resleeved block has had problems. The shops are taking care of the problems but no one will talk about it because they are afraid that they won't get their issues resolved. I feel bad for the people because no one wants to talk about it. I seriously doubt that if you have a big bore 427 and you haven't had any problems, you would go spend $6,000 + the cost of a rebuild so you could sleep at night. Get real... I am not lashing out at anyone so please don't take this wrong, but it is wrong no one will say the real issues here. I am so glad I listened to a certain person and did a Stroker instead. What gets me is that GM can produce a block with sleeves and have no issues with dropped sleeves. Maybe they should produce an optional LS6 4.100 bore block.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

2001, I drive mine every day and no issues so far. I've just heard of others having issues and I don't want that happening to me.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:20 AM
7 Second Club

Cannibal I doubt you will drop a sleeve out of the nowhere.When they fail it happens quickly.If you want to sell that perfectly good big-bore block let me know.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Launching!

issues? what kind of issues? i m about to get my block resleeved, but i am not ready to deal with ISSUES? please give advise as to what i can do to avoid problems. i am thinking of doing the 396 all bore, but if resleeved blocks are not to reliable, i would rather just go the 346ci forged route. any advise would be appreciated.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cannibal I doubt you will drop a sleeve out of the nowhere.When they fail it happens quickly.If you want to sell that perfectly good big-bore block let me know.
Yeah, from what I have heard, you'll know it when it drops, it's pretty catastrophic/obvious from what I have been told. Plus, I never beat on the car anyway. It's always properly warmed up, fluid levels religiously checked, etc

I will definately keep you in mind if I go the C5R block route
Old 11-09-2003, 10:25 AM
Restricted User

He is right, everyone I know that had issues had them withing the first couple hundred miles.

I can't wait for the day the process has been perfected. I will wait a year or two and see. I would love to pair up a 4.125 bore with pistons along with my Lunati Forged 4.00 crank and Lunati rods.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any data on the Darton MID block setups?