Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polluter cam for me???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
You want a good cam for your setup, please at least call a professional for some down to earth opinion.
Poluter with boost? you must be kidding right
and that cam is definitely not a DD, I do not care what anyone is BS around here.

You want good performance, nice lope sound and great DD, stick with a tight LSA cam in the high 22x> low 230x range. something with around 8 to 10* overlap max.

Caming is not about who is the biggest and baddest, it is about COMBINATION with the mods you have.

And if you want proof, well here it is: TFS, poluter + bolt ons

Where is the torque??? didn't brake 400 till 4700/4800 ??
That is not DD

To show you a smaller cam with stock valved 243s + bolt ons: (see attachement)
Look at the trq from 3500 onwards and compare.
Hint it is a 230 cam 110 LSA
My point was that it is impossible for me to determine what the polluter cam is good for, boost or otherwise, without seeing its specs. Those graphs don't really tell me much either because I run Ls7/Ls3/L92 heads which are known for thier awkward intake to exhaust ratio. The splits are to augment the exhaust side -at least with this head design. And yes I realize a big split like that + boost = massive boost hemmorage. Ergo, I ask about specs before I buy.
...well... at least you helped blubyo02 make his decision.. lol
Old 06-23-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Ah I see,
But LS7 heads are different than LS3/L92s and will require different spec cams. Polluter has too much overlap to be boost related. In street, you want very little overlap, I like keeping my boost cams around 0 overlap. But in race it can go up to 6* max (bleeding is ofset by more boost). that is me.
When shops try to hide specs it is usualy because they are offshelf lobes that anyone can duplicate (at least that is my experience). Shops with proprietary lobes couldn't give a darn because one cannot order those lobes unless you go through that shop
Even though specs at .050 only tell partial story and any true cam designer doesn't even use those to spec cams. They are just advertised at .050
Anyone just looking at .050 to spec a cam is legaly blind in my book.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well said sir ...
Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 AM
Teching In

I have had the polluter cam in my 2002 ss for about a month now and was very happy with it. the specs are 242 244-610 612 112 lsa.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

MY buddies car has a polluter cam in it as well and it drives great, but it was tuned by someone that knows what they were doing.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:59 AM
11 Second Club

But like I and others have said just because you have a bigger cam doesn't mean its gonna be the best choice, ESPECIALLY for a DD. Like in my first post I told you that bigger cams have hidden cost that has to be taken into consideration, usually for most people while they are putting the cam in and someone decides to enlighten them. Im no cam expert by any means, I am getting to where i know alot about them just from all the installs and builds I have/am becoming apart of, the more overlap you run into the worse drivability is getting. I have a cam on the bigger end of the spectrum, and I was fully aware of what I was getting myself into but I also prepared and suited my combination for so. Glad you decided to use your head and not just throw the biggest cam you can find in your DD just because it will sound like a monster.

BTW if you look at the site just about every cam fits without fly cutting,LOL. Would any person with half *** knowledge install most of these if they actually measured PTV clearence..... HELL NO! Just some food for thought.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by zflewbyu
I have had the polluter cam in my 2002 ss for about a month now and was very happy with it. the specs are 242 244-610 612 112 lsa.
As I said, if indeed those are the specs then they are just XE-R lobes, 19* overlap (not boost friendly), same size as TREX (on intake) but 4* less duration and a looser LSA.

If I were to put that cam in my F-Bod, I would need 4:11 gears (M6), 3.73 (4000+stall), LS6 intake at least, ported TB, FTRA/SSRA, aftermarket clutch for M6, 1 7/8 headers, no cats, free flow catback (or duals X dumped {best},
And for M6 a 12Bolt or 9 inch rear if you want any use at track or sticky tires.
That cam will have to rev to the moon, so any model below 01 would need to consider rod bolt upgrade.
Of course a heck of a tuner.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 903 Likes on 644 Posts

To show you a smaller cam with stock valved 243s + bolt ons: (see attachement)
Look at the trq from 3500 onwards and compare.
Hint it is a 230 cam 110 LSA
Was that the TR230? What heads where those?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ah I see,
But LS7 heads are different than LS3/L92s and will require different spec cams. Polluter has too much overlap to be boost related. In street, you want very little overlap, I like keeping my boost cams around 0 overlap. But in race it can go up to 6* max (bleeding is ofset by more boost). that is me.
When shops try to hide specs it is usualy because they are offshelf lobes that anyone can duplicate (at least that is my experience). Shops with proprietary lobes couldn't give a darn because one cannot order those lobes unless you go through that shop
Even though specs at .050 only tell partial story and any true cam designer doesn't even use those to spec cams. They are just advertised at .050
Anyone just looking at .050 to spec a cam is legaly blind in my book.
When you are comparing what is out there to choose what is best for your application, specs at .050 are better than no specs at all. To the potential buyer, why the specs aren't published is immaterial to the fact that we have nothing to compare thier products with others.
I fully understand your point. But for the vast majority of enthusiasts, realistically, advertised specs are all they have to compare products with.
Also, the L92/LS3 heads are direct design descendants of the LS7 head. The differences are marginal enough that the LS7 stage 3 cam, designed to offset the flow ratio issue between intake and exhaust on the LS7, work very well with the LS3 and L92 for the same reason. Unless you are looking to build a maximum effort engine and have tons of extra money to spend on custom grinds and research, off the shelf grinds specifically for this head design work great. The Polluter may not be the cam for this head design only because it doesn't address that issue inherent to these heads.

Last edited by 108dragon; 06-24-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: IDK.. moral imperitive?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zflewbyu
Thank you, zflewbyu! Now that is pretty much all we need aside from the first hand review of the product to decide whether it is for us or not. Only other thing I would ask of people running this cam is what supporting mods they have, engine size, and tuning specs they are using... maybe a idle and running clip to get an idea of idle quality to expect.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 108dragon
When you are comparing what is out there to choose what is best for your application, specs at .050 are better than no specs at all. To the potential buyer, why the specs aren't published is immaterial to the fact that we have nothing to compare thier products with others.
I fully understand your point. But for the vast majority of enthusiasts, realistically, advertised specs are all they have to compare products with.
Also, the L92/LS3 heads are direct design descendants of the LS7 head. The differences are marginal enough that the LS7 stage 3 cam, designed to offset the flow ratio issue between intake and exhaust on the LS7, work very well with the LS3 and L92 for the same reason. Unless you are looking to build a maximum effort engine and have tons of extra money to spend on custom grinds and research, off the shelf grinds specifically for this head design work great. The Polluter may not be the cam for this head design only because it doesn't address that issue inherent to these heads.
But that is the whole point!
What info are you deducting from just seing .050 specs?
You have to go way deeper than that to make any sensible judgement. Mainly this involves cam dynamics and more precisely valve events. If one does not understand that, all you'll say is one is bigger than the other.
It is like buying a whole car because the color looks good. But how does it perform? what can and cannot it do? What and how is it put together?
Same criteria applyies to cams (grosso modo).
Old 06-24-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Was that the TR230? What heads where those?
Not really

It is a custom 230/228 .612/.588 110-1 LSA
Heads are Cartek 4X (243s)
Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 903 Likes on 644 Posts

Heads are Cartek 4X (243s)
Now I see why you like the Cartek's so much. Thats insane power.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Very interesting thread, I too was going to buy a Polluter now may look into other options.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Now I see why you like the Cartek's so much. Thats insane power.
Combo works well together, it surprised a few poeple with bigger more conventional cams. Cartek 4X 243s are good, nothing magical, they just deliver what they should for the $$ spent.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Combo works well together, it surprised a few poeple with bigger more conventional cams. Cartek 4X 243s are good, nothing magical, they just deliver what they should for the $$ spent.
yeah i am beginning to like these more and more too

i like the TFS's but dont really want to run aftermarket rockers...

what do you think is better between the TEA or Cartek with a larger cam like the g5x3...or maybe something custom...what do you have in mind? pm if it is long
Old 06-24-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Notice how almost everyone in this thread says "well I was gona go with that cam but I didn't so you shouldn't either I THINK it will be a bad choice" how can they say its not a good cam if they've never had it take it from me SOME ONE WHO HAS ACTUALLY HAD THE CAM it is a bad *** cam! Sounds wicked and had more low end than my 228/232 cam and as for daily driving it I daily'd it every day with 4.56s in a m6 and LOVED it! And how are people gona say they wish they had a better ball park of the specs its on the website 24x 24x .61x .61x 112 Lsa or 110

I can tell you both sides are in the lower 240s and the lift isn't over .620
DUH!

Its a great cam man and from some one how has dd'd it I think you'd love it but its all up to you
Old 06-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear you 02 antivnm it does sound bad *** i have to agree with you on that it is a very attractable cam package also from tick for $880 however,I just dont think i should go that big being that i am a rookie when it comes to cams and such. I have learned so much from this site and am getting a better understanding. But just out of curiosity what kind of fuel mileage did your car get with the 4.56 gears? was your low end driveability really affected that much? what kind of numbers did you put down with it and what supporting mods?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Teching In

The polluter cam isnt that bad on a DD car. mine is driven daily and im still on the stock converter for now. The cam is slugish till around 3,000 rpm's. but after that it pulls hard.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02anti_vnm
Notice how almost everyone in this thread says "well I was gona go with that cam but I didn't so you shouldn't either I THINK it will be a bad choice" how can they say its not a good cam if they've never had it take it from me SOME ONE WHO HAS ACTUALLY HAD THE CAM it is a bad *** cam! Sounds wicked and had more low end than my 228/232 cam and as for daily driving it I daily'd it every day with 4.56s in a m6 and LOVED it! And how are people gona say they wish they had a better ball park of the specs its on the website 24x 24x .61x .61x 112 Lsa or 110

I can tell you both sides are in the lower 240s and the lift isn't over .620
DUH!

Its a great cam man and from some one how has dd'd it I think you'd love it but its all up to you
How about ballpark as in "242 244-610 612 112 lsa"? Thats as bad as Predator-Z saying (as what I'm getting out of it) we all need to be cam doctors to decide what cam we need or "Anyone just looking at .050 to spec a cam is legaly blind in my book"..
We look at what we are given to look at to decide. If no specs (secret-secret half *** ballpark numbers) are given then we have nothing with which to base the decision on. I don't know about the rest of you, but my car sees a LOT of highway use and 4.56s would negate any benefit of even having a sixth gear for all practical purposes. If I need to go with something like 4.56s to benefit from the cam, then my negatory to it would be based on that alone. Hell, coming out of 1rst gear with 4.56s, even a GMPP stage3 or TRex cam would have hella torque. lol I can't think of anyone off hand that I even remotely know who rolls a DD with 4.56s. Thats a drag car or a barhopper!
BTW, what cam are you rolling with in your boosted engine?

Quick Reply: Polluter cam for me???