Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to ID a GM LS1 Hot Cam?

Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default How to ID a GM LS1 Hot Cam?

Hey guys, I recent bought a GM Hot Cam on eBay for $150. It showed up today, but how do I know I got the real thing?

My stock LQ4 has numbers on the back end of the cam. What numbers (if any) should be on the back of this cam?

Thanks guys!!

Last edited by Ford_Assassin; 07-17-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS1 camshaft (from 98-00 F-body) = 12560965
LS1 camshaft (from 98-99 Corvette) = 12560964
LS1 camshaft (from 00 Corvette) = 12560968
LS1 camshaft (from 01 F-body and 01 Corvette) = 12561721
LS6 camshaft (from 01 Corvette Z06) = 12560950
LS6 camshaft (from 02-04 Corvette Z06) = 12565308
LS1 camshaft position sensor (with seal) (98) (AC-Delco #213-355) = 12560229
LS1 camshaft position sensor (with seal) (99-02) (AC-Delco #213-363) = 12561311
LS1 camshaft pstn. sensor connector (3-way black F) (98-02) (AC-Delco #PT117) = 12085495

https://ls1tech.com/forums/3064628-post11.html

check this out too, shows all the available cams for the gen 3 and gen 4 engines. look to see if your number matches one listed in this link: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...ges=1&pkgid=57
Old 07-16-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks dude, but I meant the numbers that are stamped into the rear cam nose. This cam doesn't have any numbers at all except a 033 scratched into the face, doesn't look like something the factory would do. I worry I got screwed....
Old 07-16-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

are you sure theres no gm part # on it? maybe someone can chime in on this; wheter ot not gm stamps part # on their cams
Old 07-16-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slayerized6
are you sure theres no gm part # on it? maybe someone can chime in on this; wheter ot not gm stamps part # on their cams
I am positive there are no part stamped into the cam.

I know GM does this because my both my LM7 & LQ4 cams have numbers stamped into the ends.

Here is the cam I just received that is 'suppose' to be a GM Hot Cam.....
Attached Thumbnails How to ID a GM LS1 Hot Cam?-cam-033.jpg  
Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm, that really isnt a stamping, more like someone scribed 033 into the metal. i would spec the cam out and see if all the numbers match to an ls1 hot cam before i install it.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have no means of spec'ing out the cam. I just emailed the seller informing him that this isn't the cam I bought and asked for a refund. Hopefully he'll do the right thing without me having to get PayPal/eBay involved.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
I have no means of spec'ing out the cam. I just emailed the seller informing him that this isn't the cam I bought and asked for a refund. Hopefully he'll do the right thing without me having to get PayPal/eBay involved.
i wouldnt have called him out on it. try to find a few ppl with the hotcam and see if they had those markings on the back. your the one that should of done the homework before you bought the item. however, i wish you the best of luck on your situation.

always buy cams new.because in reality, anyone can market a stock cam as any type of other cam
Old 07-16-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i though that i would be of some help to you, but when i found a pic of the end of my Hotcam from when i took it out... you can't see the numbers what so ever. :shakes head:
Old 07-16-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000TransAmWS6
i though that i would be of some help to you, but when i found a pic of the end of my Hotcam from when i took it out... you can't see the numbers what so ever. :shakes head:
Can't see the numbers like they were never there, or just wore off?

Thanks!!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Teching In

I'm the guy that sold the cam, I just posted another thread as soon as I received your message though ebay asking pretty much the same question you are asking here. I also sent you a message back asking how you know this is not a Hot Cam and committing that I will refund everything including all shipping if it is not.

I bought the cam locally from CraigsList, went to the guy's house (only a few miles away) and asked for documentation, he said he had none so I went to my car to verify the part number of the Hot Cam (from one of my LS1 books), saw the etched number and bought it. I was and still would install it in my car if I wanted that size cam or to stick with a GM part. The guy even invited me to stop by when it was installed & we talked about where he hangs out, drag stips and car shows. I was in his garage looked under the hood of his car; I know his house, his car, I met his wife at the door.

I bought and installed a slightly larger cam with more agressive ramp rates - TR224. (I need to update my sig)

A picture of the etched number was in my auction, I wished you would have asked these questions before bidding/buying. I'll take it back if your uncomfortable with it and refund the purchased amount.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Glad gTo Be Back
I'm the guy that sold the cam, I just posted another thread as soon as I received your message though ebay asking pretty much the same question you are asking here. I also sent you a message back asking how you know this is not a Hot Cam and committing that I will refund everything including all shipping if it is not.

I bought the cam locally from CraigsList, went to the guy's house (only a few miles away) and asked for documentation, he said he had none so I went to my car to verify the part number of the Hot Cam (from one of my LS1 books), saw the etched number and bought it. I was and still would install it in my car if I wanted that size cam or to stick with a GM part. The guy even invited me to stop by when it was installed & we talked about where he hangs out, drag stips and car shows. I was in his garage looked under the hood of his car; I know his house, his car, I met his wife at the door.

I bought and installed a slightly larger cam with more agressive ramp rates - TR224. (I need to update my sig)

A picture of the etched number was in my auction, I wished you would have asked these questions before bidding/buying. I'll take it back if your uncomfortable with it and refund the purchased amount.

Okay, I called SDparts.com and they were cool enough to pull a brand new LS1 Hot Cam off the shelf and check it out for me.

Confirmed. This is not a LS1 Hot Cam, if even a GM product at all. The cam they had was stamped with 8733 and then 075. They also told me every GM LSx cam he has ever seen has numbers stamped into the back end.

I as I told you in my original email, I believe that you didn't intentionally mean any harm, but the fact remains this isn't what you believed it was as sold to you.

I am thankful that you are being understanding and very cool about this dude.

Last edited by Ford_Assassin; 07-17-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Okay, I called SDparts.com and they were cool enough to pull a brand new LS1 Hot Cam off the shelf and check it out for me.

Confirmed. This is not a LS1 Hot Cam, if even a GM product at all. The cam they had was stamped with 8733 and then 075. They also told me every GM LSx cam he has ever seen has numbers stamped into the back end.

I as I told you in my original email, I believe that you didn't intentionally mean any harm, but the fact remains this isn't what you believed it was as sold to you.

I am thankful that you are being understanding and very cool about this dude.
What?, your wrong, 8733 is "The popular LS Hot Cam is used in the GM 480 and 515 HP crate engines." from their web site. This is the LS Hot cam for the new LS3 engine. He pulled the wrong part. This is a cam and lifter kit for GM's LS3 engines, relatively new. http://www.sdparts.com/product/K8895...LifterKit.aspx

You would need to look at PN 12480033, "LS1 Hot Cam, 219/228 Duration @ 0.050, Hydraulic Roller Camshaft Kit " for LS1 engines, the one they've been selling for almost 10 years. http://www.sdparts.com/product/12480...mshaftKit.aspx

Here's one I found in the old for sale section, unfortuantely most don't have pictures. https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...1-hot-cam.html This one has different markings too.

Nothing is confirmed, he pulled the wrong part. I've searched for over an hour and can't find more information, maybe someone will post and help us out. Again send it back if that's what you need to do but please don't confirm things again until you are sure. I believe it's a LS1 Hot Cam, and I'll confirm it with the guy I bought it from. Unfortunately you've created such a mess now no one will buy it unless I can now prove it beyond a reasonable doubt! GM has sold this cam for almost 10 years in small quantities, I'd be suprised if the markings have any consistnecy over that span.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

GM has sold this cam for almost 10 years in small quantities, I'd be suprised if the markings have any consistnecy over that span.
It seems that GM always stamps (not hand etches) the last 4 digits of part number in the cam.

Let's think about this for a sec, how else would GM know to put what cam in each box? How else would they ID a cam in case a box was destroyed or mixed up?

I am sorry you feel I've made a mess of things, but you didn't need to post anything on this thread, you could of kept it between us through email/PM. It wasn't like I even knew you were a LS1 Tech member dude.

I am returning the cam to you, I just can't risk it being a regrind or something its not and possibly damaging something in my motor, not to mention the hassle and cost of pulling the front of the motor apart to swap them out. It ships out today, I will send you a tracking number.

Thank you again.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:17 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

What?, your wrong, 8733 is "The popular LS Hot Cam is used in the GM 480 and 515 HP crate engines." from their web site. This is the LS Hot cam for the new LS3 engine. He pulled the wrong part. This is a cam and lifter kit for GM's LS3 engines, relatively new. http://www.sdparts.com/product/K8895...LifterKit.aspx

You would need to look at PN 12480033, "LS1 Hot Cam, 219/228 Duration @ 0.050, Hydraulic Roller Camshaft Kit " for LS1 engines, the one they've been selling for almost 10 years. http://www.sdparts.com/product/12480...mshaftKit.aspx

Here's one I found in the old for sale section, unfortuantely most don't have pictures. https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...1-hot-cam.html This one has different markings too.

Nothing is confirmed, he pulled the wrong part. I've searched for over an hour and can't find more information, maybe someone will post and help us out. Again send it back if that's what you need to do but please don't confirm things again until you are sure. I believe it's a LS1 Hot Cam, and I'll confirm it with the guy I bought it from. Unfortunately you've created such a mess now no one will buy it unless I can now prove it beyond a reasonable doubt! GM has sold this cam for almost 10 years in small quantities, I'd be suprised if the markings have any consistnecy over that span.
There is only one LSx hotcam, the LS3 hotcam and the LS hotcam sold years ago is the same cam. There are two different part numbers, as the cam itself has one part number and the kit has another part number. 8733 is the new cam only part number. 0033 is the kit part number. They aren't different cams.

What you linked from our site isn't a GM kit, it's our kit. GM doesn't offer a kit with lifters, we're doing that to make a cheaper package deal for our customers.

The numbers on the back of the cam aren't necessarily going to outright ID a cam at all. I will tell you that many GM cams had the numbers hand scribed, not stamped. This new cam that someone here pulled isn't from the same place as the ones made even six months ago. Crane was making the cams before, this is from the new supplier GM sourced when Crane shut down.

It's very possible (and likely) you have a hotcam.

EDIT: I just talked to the guy you talked to. He said he did not say they are all stamped. He says he knows for a fact that they used to hand scribe the numbers on them and he would not have told you that they are all stamped. We will gladly pull parts and go out of our way to do whatever we can to help you guys out, but we would appreciate it if you did not change the information we give you in a way that helps your case if it's not what we said.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Last edited by Scoggin Dickey; 07-17-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Send it to Thunder Racing to test. It'll cost $25 for the service, and probably $10 for shipping. So, $35 on top of whatever deal you got - still sounds like a good deal. And, you'll know EXACTLY what you have.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
There is only one LSx hotcam, the LS3 hotcam and the LS hotcam sold years ago is the same cam. There are two different part numbers, as the cam itself has one part number and the kit has another part number. 8733 is the new cam only part number. 0033 is the kit part number. They aren't different cams.

What you linked from our site isn't a GM kit, it's our kit. GM doesn't offer a kit with lifters, we're doing that to make a cheaper package deal for our customers.

The numbers on the back of the cam aren't necessarily going to outright ID a cam at all. I will tell you that many GM cams had the numbers hand scribed, not stamped. This new cam that someone here pulled isn't from the same place as the ones made even six months ago. Crane was making the cams before, this is from the new supplier GM sourced when Crane shut down.

It's very possible (and likely) you have a hotcam.

EDIT: I just talked to the guy you talked to. He said he did not say they are all stamped. He says he knows for a fact that they used to hand scribe the numbers on them and he would not have told you that they are all stamped. We will gladly pull parts and go out of our way to do whatever we can to help you guys out, but we would appreciate it if you did not change the information we give you in a way that helps your case if it's not what we said.
Interesting, thanks. The cam is being sent back to me whether its a Hot Cam or not. I do have one question, if the Hot Cam can work in Gen 3 and Gen 4 is there something that needs to change with the cam sensor, I was under the impression that Gen 3 were in the rear of the engine, Gen 4 was in the front?

If it works in both, this might be a nice upgrade for LS3 Vette, G8 and Camaro owners as well, especially some Vette owners that don't like to do non-GM mods. Also why include the lifters, are they required? Just curious.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2009, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

If it helps, I did a Hotcam install a few months back and it said "033" just like yours.
-Nick
Old 07-17-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Install it and degree it in with a degree wheel -which is what you should do in any cam install anyway. That should tell the story. It is probably a custom grind or a regrind. If it was done correctly, which the degree wheel will confirm, it should be good to go. If it degrees out, unless he sold it to you as a "real GMPP hot cam", you received what you paid for in the cam.
Not trying to be an ***. Just letting you know what you are in for in a Paypal dispute.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Batman WS-6
If it helps, I did a Hotcam install a few months back and it said "033" just like yours.
-Nick
Nick, Thank you. Where were you this morning, I think its already on its way back to me? Great, that helps eliminate some of the questions and I can repost it once it arrives back.

Anyone need a GM Hot Cam?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to ID a GM LS1 Hot Cam?