Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 block v.s. LS2 block

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by niphilli
Well I have read all the same that you guys have. The LS2 will be a 6L and the LS7 will be a 6.3L.

Here are my assumptions/insights:

LS2: Same blcok that the Escallade uses cast in aluminium along with LS6 heads and a LS-6 crank to keep it reliable in the upper RPMS. (these are guesses).

LS7: Here are where the big changes are. I have read that they are going with the dual cam in block setup with 3 valves per cylinder. This would most definately need a new block & heads. I have also heard that the engine will be high-reving, which suggests to me that they will go the all bore route and keep a similar stroke to the current LS6. All of this is strange to me though because this will most certainly make the LS7 priced significantly higher than the LS2, and pretty much throws parts-sharing between the platforms out the window. Maybe the LS2 will have the dual cam in block as well??? Who knows
The LS6 will have three valves, but it doesn't require - nor will it have - two cams. If you look at the pics I've added, you'll see the common rocker arm that activates the two intake valves.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 block v.s. LS2 block-genivheads-1-sm.jpg   LS1 block v.s. LS2 block-genivheads-2-sm.jpg  
Old 12-16-2003, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Turvey
The LS6 will have three valves, but it doesn't require - nor will it have - two cams. If you look at the pics I've added, you'll see the common rocker arm that activates the two intake valves.
Hrmmm, interesting. Looks like the pushrods are even in the same location so that the blocks could be shared... This makes more business sense, but if the rumors are true of the LS7 increased displacement there will still be a different block.

Where did you dig up those pics? Any idea on what the "rail" rocker setup is made of? Seems like a LOT of valvetrain mass.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:40 PM
Restricted User

You're right, the WRX is very shiftable. i believe a friend of mind jsut drove 50 minutes with his tranny stuck in 4th gear.

Originally Posted by kingcuda70
GM SUCKS. as soon as I unload the 99ss I'm getting a nice reliable SHIFTABLE WRX sti or EVO. who cares what new permutations of the LSx they're doing. the dealer network blows, the fit/finish on the f bods sucked and the M6 SUCKS the royal.
thank you for your time.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

the valve train on that head looks so cumbersome and heavy....it's going to be interesting on seeing how it holds up to high RPM's and power..just looks like there's a lot to break and go wrong....that 1/2 pushrod activating the exhaust valve...oh yeah....something about that just makes me a lil nervous...
Old 12-16-2003, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah that doesnt look too pretty in there, but if it works and works strong then thats good enough for me, wont see it anyway lol.....when are they gonna release the new C6 anyone know? i was hearing in about 4-6 months but i dont really know
Old 12-17-2003, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think all that "high-tech" mechanical stuff is a waste of time
GM needs to finish up the electric valve stuff, if they want to be able to have a very efficient motor thats cheap and EASILY moddified for more power
Old 12-17-2003, 01:45 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Scott Turvey, cool pics. Is that an actual prototype LS7 or is it an older project GM had been toying with? I'd love to see more photos if you have them...I'm really interested in LSX development myself.

WS6FirebirdTA00, I think the first C6 will ship around Nov. 2004, so its still a ways off. Hopefully some more official LS2/LS7 news and specs will come out this spring.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by niphilli
Hrmmm, interesting. Looks like the pushrods are even in the same location so that the blocks could be shared... This makes more business sense, but if the rumors are true of the LS7 increased displacement there will still be a different block.

Where did you dig up those pics? Any idea on what the "rail" rocker setup is made of? Seems like a LOT of valvetrain mass.
The pics came from the game of "Mousetrap" (by Milton Bradley) the GM engineers use to build things these days... or was it the Erector set?

I don't have any idea what those components are made of, but I can find out if it's of interest.

The 1/2 pushrod JoSeY mentions was the first thing that caught my eye too. My minds eye just pictured a scene with a conversation similar to "Well if we was to put another tab-hang-thing on that shaft-twisty and then run some 9/32nd's solid-core double-taper moly-sumpthin, we could span across to that other-side sub-rocker deal-ie.. 'sides it'd look real Yurripean too!"
Old 12-17-2003, 01:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmX
Scott Turvey, cool pics. Is that an actual prototype LS7 or is it an older project GM had been toying with? I'd love to see more photos if you have them...I'm really interested in LSX development myself.

WS6FirebirdTA00, I think the first C6 will ship around Nov. 2004, so its still a ways off. Hopefully some more official LS2/LS7 news and specs will come out this spring.
The pics are current.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow, those are interesting pics, Scott.
I'm pretty sure I won't be buying the first year...

Intake looks taller and with TB angled off to the pass side.

Last edited by Fulton 1; 12-17-2003 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I had head that the engine would be single cam as well, but feature a cam phaser, which would result in about 80% efficiency of a dual cam setup (that's what the article I read said, I'm sure that the real world gains wouldn't be as high).
Old 12-17-2003, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I had heard that the engine would be single cam as well, but feature a cam phaser, which would result in about 80% efficiency of a dual cam setup (that's what the article I read said, I'm sure that the real world gains wouldn't be as high).
Old 12-17-2003, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow... that three valve setup looks like a nightmare. More complexity = more **** to break.

I don't like that AT ALL.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BurnOut
Wow... that three valve setup looks like a nightmare. More complexity = more **** to break.
Yeah, including an extra pushrod per cylinder to bend
Old 12-17-2003, 02:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Here's a few links copied from corvetteforum that show some of the literature and patents on the design.

http://media.gm.com/division/2004_pr...OHV_3valve.pdf

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,505,589

http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/pat...-20030114.html

http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/pat...-20030114.html

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,505,591
Old 12-17-2003, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Side note, doesn't GM have an aluminum 6.0L block? I thought it was going into some truck? The SS maybe? Or the Escalade? I remember reading about it, never knew it was gonna happen or not.

Dope
Old 12-18-2003, 05:36 AM
11 Second Club

Me thinks new motor needs to come with valvesprings good for .620 lift stock, because I don't want to have to deal with doing a spring swap on that motor.

Peace,
Old 12-18-2003, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

umm GM was indire need for some thing "high" tech..

they're trying to squeeze more power and be more efficient..although the pushrods are near outliving their welcome in the auto market.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

The engine pictured is of the GenIV TRUCK variety with 3-valve heads, not the LS7.

Also, stating that something "looks heavy" or "too complex" is a bit of a rush to judgement. If the LS1 is the most advanced pushrod engine there is, you can bet that its replacement will really shock the OHC world.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD APPLE
The engine pictured is of the GenIV TRUCK variety with 3-valve heads, not the LS7.

Also, stating that something "looks heavy" or "too complex" is a bit of a rush to judgement. If the LS1 is the most advanced pushrod engine there is, you can bet that its replacement will really shock the OHC world.
No rush of judgement at all, it's my own opinion after 5+yrs of mechanical design in the oilfield industry...just because you don't agree doesn't mean it's a rush judgment...it's my own opinion.

Quick Reply: LS1 block v.s. LS2 block