Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler setups? lets see them.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default oil cooler setups? lets see them.

i dont like how hot my car runs this time of yr so i want to add an oil cooler. but id like to see some setups so i can get some ideas and see what kind of parts im going ot need. i tried to search but no such luck.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i heard that oil coolers arent a smart idea, to me it sounds like a good idea, but i remember on the z28 forums that someone said that oil functions best when it is at a stable temperature instead of fluctuating...personally i think keeping the oil cool is a good idea, but they say its the way it breaks down...correct me if im wrong
Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MasterSe7en
i heard that oil coolers arent a smart idea, to me it sounds like a good idea, but i remember on the z28 forums that someone said that oil functions best when it is at a stable temperature instead of fluctuating...personally i think keeping the oil cool is a good idea, but they say its the way it breaks down...correct me if im wrong
I don't see why there would be a fluctuation in temps. Put a thermostatic fan on the cooler and when you run a 160* Tstat Voila! consistant 200*s no matter how hard you drive it...unless you're on a road coarse.

My cooler:
Old 08-11-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
i dont like how hot my car runs this time of yr so i want to add an oil cooler. but id like to see some setups so i can get some ideas and see what kind of parts im going ot need. i tried to search but no such luck.
Louis @ Lg has an O-ring adapter for the block off plate above the oil filter with -10 fittings. Call him. That's what those lines are ^
Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MasterSe7en
i dont know. but id like to read any info you might have to support that. all i know is i dont like the fact i live 10 miles from work and my oil temps can reach almost 240 by the time i get home in normal driving conditions. i also know the zo6 comes with an oil cooler from the factory so i can imagine it being bad for the oil. thats a car with a 100,000 mile warranty.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

all the 6.0 2500 trucks are equipped with oil cooler lines from the factory, and the shop truck has 280k+ miles,
the fitting goes the pan and the lines go to the rad. although u could plumb the lines into a convetional oil cooler.
the 6.0 truck cooler lines would work fine with a aftermarket oil cooler
Old 08-11-2009, 01:56 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been thinking about one too for my Formula. It getting hot as hell around here has me a bit worried. I'd like as many safe guards on it as I can, especially after everything I've been through with it. If it is as simple as using the trans cooler in the radiator for oil instead I'd be all over it.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ron Davis has a nice radiator with integrated oil cooler in addition to the %20 cooling difference between theirs and a stock rad. It runs $850 and is listed on my website.

http://estore.websitepros.com/212053...N+DAVIS+RACING

I would run a thermostat as well and you will need either a sandwich type plate or the LPE block adapter. Canton has a nice thermostat and LPE has a nice block adapter. You will need to make a few lines or have some made as well so you'll need to account for fitting too.

The LPE block allows for a temp gauge as well and has another accessory hole in it.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 08-11-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Ron Davis has a nice radiator with integrated oil cooler in addition to the %20 cooling difference between theirs and a stock rad. It runs $850 and is listed on my website.

http://estore.websitepros.com/212053...N+DAVIS+RACING

I would run a thermostat as well and you will need either a sandwich type plate or the LPE block adapter. Canton has a nice thermostat and LPE has a nice block adapter. You will need to make a few lines or have some made as well so you'll need to account for fitting too.

The LPE block allows for a temp gauge as well and has another accessory hole in it.
+1 on this one. I've got a 20x29x3.5'' Ron Davis Radiator and i rarely run above 205-210 VERY HIGH QUALITY PIECE.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Teching In

personally what i think the whole delema on the oil cooler was about was because LT1's come with an oil cooler right above the oil filter, and so many people were having a problem with spun rod bearings, but to be honest i think it was the design on that specific oil cooler, it halted oil travel so much, personally i think Oil coolers are an awesome idea and work great, ill try and look up the information and see if i can find the posts on z28.com, but since i have joined the LSx family i dont spend too much time over there anymore except to talk to old friends on there but ill see what i can find and ill post it as soon as i find it
Old 08-12-2009, 02:08 PM
9 Second Club

bump...anyone got any more pics or ideas?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump...anyone got any more pics or ideas?
http://xse.com/leres/ss/oilcooler.html

http://www.noid.org/oilcooler/

Also Lingenfelter makes an adaptor.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
Yep that's the LPE plate I was talking about
Old 08-12-2009, 04:12 PM
9 Second Club

thanx shockwave thats very helpful. keep em coming!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Banned

You can always run a RD heat extractor as well:

Unit is designed to be mounted and plumbed in-line between the radiator and water pump. Measures 10" long x 4" wide x 4.5" tall

They come in dual 14 plate and 7 plate as well.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use the adapter from the trucks. It's a direct bolt on. There is a small plate directly above the spin on filter. You remove it and install the oil filter adapter in its' place. There is also a bracket on the adapter that secures it to the front of the block. This bracket is a direct bolt on to a threaded hole in the LS block. If your radiator doesn't accomadate the tubing on this adapter you use a engine oil/transmission filter instead which can be mounted either behind the radiator or in front of the condenser if you run A/C. If you use this factory adapter you need to get a cooler with 1/2" hose barbs because that's the size of the adapter tubing. You'll need a few feet of high temp/high pressure hose to interface the adapter to the cooler. I have an adapter which I installed on an 04 Silverado. It was on there for a little less than a year. That's how long it took my wife to wreck the truck. I removed the adapter before the tow truck arrived at my house to haul it away to the auction barn. It's been sitting on the shelf in my garage ever since. You can get an oil cooler for about $29 plus the rubber hose. I'll sell the adapter if you want to try this method. I will have to admit the one mounted to the hood of the car looks a lot better, but I'm not so sure how much convective cooling you get with it mounted there.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

bump!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:23 PM
9 Second Club

ll i had an encounter with a porsche turbo today and we ran 3 times. oil temps reached 315 degrees. not going to work for me. ive been looking and space is a def limitation. looking like maybe a b and m super cooler might be one of the better options. they make one that is only 5 3/4 tall.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

ll i had an encounter with a porsche turbo today and we ran 3 times. oil temps reached 315 degrees. not going to work for me. ive been looking and space is a def limitation. looking like maybe a b and m super cooler might be one of the better options. they make one that is only 5 3/4 tall.
THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN DEGREES?!

Geesh! You've gotta get yourself the biggest baddest cooler and 8 qts of german Castrol.

Good luck against those Nine eleven Turbo's...
Old 08-17-2009, 09:37 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN DEGREES?!

Geesh! You've gotta get yourself the biggest baddest cooler and 8 qts of german Castrol.

Good luck against those Nine eleven Turbo's...

i took care of buisness

i wouldnt have kept messing with him had i noticed it had got so hot. but i honestly didnt look until after we ran the third time. then i **** myself and told him i was done. coolant temps were only 190 though. and its like 198 degress in florida.

Quick Reply: oil cooler setups? lets see them.