Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Comparing Timing Sets...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Arrow Need Help Comparing Timing Sets...

I am preparing to get a cam, and am looking into timing sets to replace the stock one as many have reccomended. I have looked at Rollermaster, JWIS, SLP, Comp, and Cloyes. They all look pretty much the same, except the Rollermaster is about half the price of the others... I am already short of money, so will Rollermaster do the trick, or is there something about it I don't know about? Thanks a lot!
Old 11-27-2003, 11:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a new double roller chain with needle bearings to get rid of the friction and keep the cam free.

I will get some photos tomorrow. It comes with it's own aluminum cam plate but everything rides on needle bearings.

I also have a double just like the Rollmaster if you want one without the bearings.

LG
Old 11-27-2003, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Would that be the one for $39.95? I think I'm looking for double roller instead. Post some pics nonetheless.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

I have the Rollermaster double chain in my car. I installed it 25K miles ago and when I checked it last week it was PERFECT (NO SLACK)!
Old 11-27-2003, 04:30 PM
FormerVendor

Both of the chains that i am refering to are double roller chains complete witht he needle bearings and thrust plates. The Double chain with the thrust bearings is $239, and the double chain without the thrust bearings is $169.

Both high quality pieces and not on my web site.

LG
Old 11-27-2003, 05:03 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have the rollmaster double, for 75 bucks you cant beat it. i'd recommend it to anyone.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does the asp pulley work without clearancing it with the rollmaster double chain?
Old 11-27-2003, 07:56 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTROD98Z
Does the asp pulley work without clearancing it with the rollmaster double chain?
some do, some dont. mine didnt have to me shimmed to fit, others have though.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jrp
some do, some dont. mine didnt have to me shimmed to fit, others have though.

Mine rubbed a slight bit (just enough to polish the pump face over 25K miles).......didn't hurt the pump at all.....so nothing big...

When I had it apart though, I turned the pulley down just enough to clear (5 mins and all good )
Old 11-27-2003, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

How does the Cloyes timing set compare with the competition? Someone said they would be able to sell me theirs for $110. Or should I still go with the Rollermaster for $90. I can afford the extra $20, but is it really necessary?
Old 11-28-2003, 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

The cloyes is the single right?

Once you get away from the stock chain (which is junk IMO), pretty much all of them will get the job done. I personally just opt for a double over a single (unless the single was a POS) as it just makes me feel better at night.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

From Speed Inc.

"CLOYES TIMING SET
Adjustable from 0, 2, or 4 degrees advanced or retarded. Kit comes with precision machined heat treated gears and double roller chain for high performance reliability."

The pic next to it also shows that it is a double roller. Anyone else have any insight about it? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2003, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I am preparing to get a cam, and am looking into timing sets to replace the stock one as many have reccomended. I have looked at Rollermaster, JWIS, SLP, Comp, and Cloyes. They all look pretty much the same, except the Rollermaster is about half the price of the others... I am already short of money, so will Rollermaster do the trick, or is there something about it I don't know about? Thanks a lot!
i say go for the Rollermaster ls1 heat-treated ,double-roller adjustable timing set i'v got it for 94.99 from TSP
Old 11-28-2003, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
From Speed Inc.

"CLOYES TIMING SET
Adjustable from 0, 2, or 4 degrees advanced or retarded. Kit comes with precision machined heat treated gears and double roller chain for high performance reliability."

The pic next to it also shows that it is a double roller. Anyone else have any insight about it? Thanks!

ohhhh....my bad......guess that one would also be good
Old 11-28-2003, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember, you get what you pay for.

There are two different Rollmaster timing sets out there. They all have the Rollmaster timing gears (single or double) which are made in Australia ... But ... One BIG difference:

Some have the better timing chain made by Iwis Ketten in Germany. It says "JWIS" on the chain.

The other has a chain (single or double) made in India. It says "Rolon" on the chain

Be advised!
Old 11-29-2003, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tin Indian

There are two different Rollmaster timing sets out there. They all have the Rollmaster timing gears (single or double) which are made in Australia ... But ... One BIG difference:

Some have the better timing chain made by Iwis Ketten in Germany. It says "JWIS" on the chain.

The other has a chain (single or double) made in India. It says "Rolon" on the chain

Be advised!
How can I be sure that I get the JWIS chain? Will the Rollermaster Double, adjustable, heat treated, from TSP for $93.99 have the JWIS chain? I don't want crap from India on my car
Old 11-29-2003, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"How can I be sure that I get the JWIS chain? Will the Rollermaster Double, adjustable, heat treated, from TSP for $93.99 have the JWIS chain? I don't want crap from India on my car"

When you talk to the folks you are ordering the chain from, you might want to have them take one out of stock and read the name printed on the sides of the chain links BEFORE you give them your credit card number.

Make sense?
Old 11-29-2003, 07:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Be advised!
I wonder which one SDPC is selling?
Old 11-29-2003, 08:16 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be advised!
Well spoken Tin Indian! I second this . . . Whether or not you get a doulbe or single chain is not important, just make sure it's a JWIS chain!