Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 block guys come in

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 block guys come in

I just did a rebuild of the Trans Am. Got a iron 5.3 block, had it bored out to 5.7. Built the engine over the past week or so and started it today.

I have no oil pressure. I know that the 5.3 iron block is a little different from the aluminum 5.7, where should I look first?

I don't know specific differences, just noticed things as i put it together like, the mounting holes for the alternator are different etc.

HELP!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Launching!

There are plugs in the rear of the engine behind were you would mount the flywheel or flexplate. I know my buddy had that problem with his and no oil pressure that was what the problem was those plugs were not installed.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X2 that little barbell plug has gotten many people.....
Old 09-07-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

what pick-up tube are you using? did you use the correct oil-pump o-ring? and like mentioned, that barbell looking plug has to be there.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

barbell plug, pinched o-ring, torn o-ring. wrong pickup tube.
did u reuse your fbody pickup with fbody pan?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

I can verify that I did not do the barbell plug thing. That block was BARE, no bearings, plugs, etc. Took those off my aluminum block. Did not notice the plug things because the aluminum has some time of cap in it instead and it was underneath the cover so I had no idea what it was, it didn't stand out to me. Marked up as a learning experience.

Know where i can get one or two, I have heard they may have two, possibly one in the front? Part numbers, names, can it be bought at Autozone, Orielly's,etc or dealer only? I will need it by this weekend so I can get it apart to add those and get it back together.

I did re-use the pick up tube, pump, oil pan,etc from my ls1. Is that a problem?

On a special note, she sounds beautiful. Much louder than I remember. MTI T1 cam does sound a bit different that the stocker.

I guess I am used to listening to our Yukon.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NBMWSsix
I can verify that I did not do the barbell plug thing. That block was BARE, no bearings, plugs, etc. Took those off my aluminum block. Did not notice the plug things because the aluminum has some time of cap in it instead and it was underneath the cover so I had no idea what it was, it didn't stand out to me. Marked up as a learning experience.

Know where i can get one or two, I have heard they may have two, possibly one in the front? Part numbers, names, can it be bought at Autozone, Orielly's,etc or dealer only? I will need it by this weekend so I can get it apart to add those and get it back together.

I did re-use the pick up tube, pump, oil pan,etc from my ls1. Is that a problem?

On a special note, she sounds beautiful. Much louder than I remember. MTI T1 cam does sound a bit different that the stocker.

I guess I am used to listening to our Yukon.
when swapping motors, u are supposed to reuse all of your pans parts togther.
if everything is fbody then thats not the prob. its prolly a damaged o ring or barbell plug.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Good, I did that. I will check for the barbell thing. Now do you know if I need the one in the front or just the back or if there is one in the front? I am 99% that I didn't put a plug in there so hopefully that will be it.

Appreciate teh help!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do a quick search on this site. There's a nice write up on the front plug and barbell plug in rear. Don't run it anymore without oil pressure ls1 can only survive a few seconds without oil pressure. I had the same problem but an engine builder left mine out
Old 09-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Did you only have to do the rear one or did you also have to do the front. Are they the same part or different?
Old 09-12-2009, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 585 Likes on 464 Posts

The barbell is only in the rear. The front has a press in plug, like a freeze plug.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Press plug in front and barbell in back and I have oil pressure!!!

Quick Reply: 5.3 block guys come in