Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Announcing a new LS-series "How-to" publication:

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually they are TS is mentioned 2 time. There is one ref in the "About the Author" In the first pages of the book.

But who cares, he talked to the write people in the industry, as long as the book it informative and correct, it will help out may people.

But then again I dont know if I want a Turbo mustang guy tellin me how to build my motor !!.....JUST KIDDING !!!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got mine today from amazon for 16 and some change, looks like a great read and i got a lot to learn!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:02 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Originally Posted by bigboykilroy
Actually they are TS is mentioned 2 time. There is one ref in the "About the Author" In the first pages of the book.

But who cares, he talked to the write people in the industry, as long as the book it informative and correct, it will help out may people.

But then again I dont know if I want a Turbo mustang guy tellin me how to build my motor !!.....JUST KIDDING !!!!!

Was waiting for that last comment! I don't associate myself with the Mustang crowd, that car is for "blow-up" stress relief and when it comes into boost - you don't really notice that it is a Ford product anyway.

fquick.com/potaki has some pics of some of my non-daily driver cars.

Originally Posted by jrob56
just got mine today from amazon for 16 and some change, looks like a great read and i got a lot to learn!
Cool, lemme know how you like it.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to check my local Barnes and Noble this weekend and hopefully pick one up.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by 01sscam
I'm going to check my local Barnes and Noble this weekend and hopefully pick one up.
You can check online to see if your local B+N stocks it. The one here doesn't have it yet.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought that TSP would be stocking it by now.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
I thought that TSP would be stocking it by now.
I have not set up any vendor accounts yet to resell the book. I will discuss with publisher though, I have a ton of other priorities first.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
My LS-Retrofit/Swap book won't be out for about a year and a half. A suitable replacement until then would be a book by Jefferson Bryant - "How-to swap a LS-series engine into just about anything" - I believe that is the title. As a background to his book, he did contact and uses many forum members pictures and parts lists from the "Conversions/Hybrids" section.

He is a bright guy who does full-time freelance writing and has a few conversions under his belt. I plan on getting his book for my own library toward the end of writing mine.
I picked it up and really have enjoyed it so far. For those still looking, the B&N here had one on the shelf, and would graciously order one if need be. I have had the "Swap an LS into just about anything" for awhile. It was good, I wished there were some more help for LSx into S-series swaps in it. I expected a little blurb on them but didn't have really anything at all, still a good book for contacts, parts manufactures and etc. Thanks again for a great publication.

-SS
Old 10-02-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Wish I could find a "tongue-in-cheek" smilie. I would have used it.

http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Potak/e...r_dp_pel_pop_1

Read more...

Jon
Thanks for the link to the Bio I quickly typed and uploaded last week (I forget exactly which day - pressing deadlines with other publications mess with my memory timelines). I do need to go back over it and clean up some run-on sentences and what-have-you, I shall drink more coffee for that...
Old 10-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Default book

got mine, very helpful...and very easy to follow. Already used it for engine work.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by jman54002
got mine, very helpful...and very easy to follow. Already used it for engine work.
Thanks for authentic 1st hand feedback, I am glad you found it easy to follow and that you have used it for engine work already!
Old 10-04-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I bought the 2 books; 93-02 camaro handbook and the LSx engine motorbook..

There is an out of stock note for the LSx book, how long its gonna take you think?..amazon.ca 40$ and free ship is a nice deal!!
Old 10-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Since you feel the need for this to be addressed, here you go - nice research by the way: I do contract work for Motorbooks separately from my involvement at TSP. Two different jobs with no involvement with each other, other than I have some great photo opts at TSP.

TSP is currently my main occupation (as my day job) as would anyone else with the proper qualifications given the opportunity. I don't sell parts, don't care what sales are, and quite frankly I can work ANYwhere similar with my experience. Although, if I ever do anything different that installs - I'd take up writing helpful installation manuals full-time such as the ones I've already been contracted for.

According to the index (just checked it) TSP is mentioned on page 62 in short paragraph about heads, no other mention of TSP is in the book manuscript text otherwise other than my personal bio in the front of the book. There are some pictures of heads and CNC work, but mostly used because of convenience more than anything -> I had spent way more traveling last year to gain information for the book than I actually made writing the book(s), so at the point it was easier to take a picture of an identical part off the shelf that TSP owned or a dyno result I could steal from work as an example, so be it.

FWIW I also mentioned equal or more information on AFR and TFS heads, but I'll let the people that actually own the manual chime on on with their thoughts on if the book is TSP biased or not, it'll help keep this thread at the top.

At the time I wrote the majority of the text in 2008, TSP didn't even sell Wiseco or Callies products in their engines, I purposely sought them out to use non-TSP components. I met with Brian Tooley for lunch, talked with Tony Mamo, Steve @ RED, Kurt Urban, exchanged PM's with Erik Koenig, and many other vendors that have no relation to TSP in the name of keeping the manufacturers listed broad. There is even a post in the private sponsor section inviting any sponsor that had any unique parts or common problem areas their customers have to be mentioned, I can copy and paste that in here if it pleases you.

I think if any other writer had a project like this they would be hard pressed to NOT mention TSP in at least one paragraph. There would likely be a ton more information than I shared. Thanks for the free bump, you guys (you know who you are) always live up to my low expectations.

BTW there should be independent reviews in the next two-three weeks, anyone who is anybody should receive a copy, probably no one you know from what I gather.
Cool. I'll pick the book up, sounds like there will be a lot of good information.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by dlove
Is it true you never read the book and just want to start drama? I have a copy of the book and as Joseph said, there is like 1 time TSP comes up in the book.

Best lsx book I have.
Maybe it's true that I wanted the author of the book to dispel a rumor I heard. The author was mature enough to respond to my question, you on the other hand...not so much
Old 10-05-2009, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gh0st
Maybe it's true that I wanted the author of the book to dispel a rumor I heard. The author was mature enough to respond to my question, you on the other hand...not so much
oh please
Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I bought the 2 books; 93-02 camaro handbook and the LSx engine motorbook..

There is an out of stock note for the LSx book, how long its gonna take you think?..amazon.ca 40$ and free ship is a nice deal!!
Which 93-02 Camaro Handbook did you find? Although I just turned it in, I don't expect my "F-body Guidebook" to be out until sometime next summer I'd imagine.

The LSx book was supposed to be back in stock Friday according to the last information I viewed on their site before the weekend, it looks like it is showing "In Stock" currently. It also seems they have been doing really well on Amazon looking at the hourly rankings, if yours shows out of stock, it should change status pretty quick in the next day or so I'd think.

Originally Posted by Gh0st
Cool. I'll pick the book up, sounds like there will be a lot of good information.
Thanks, it has as much information as I could cram into ~60K words - and still be readible.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered mine last week, and Amazon said the ETA date was October 30th or so....they sent tracking and it shows to be out for delivery today now It seems like they're getting new shipments in fairly often now and the delays are less and less every day. Can't wait to read into this one (since Joseph wouldn't give me one or let me read it for free!)

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Jedi Master

See, I do not lie:

Thanks for your order!
We'll send you an e-mail confirmation shortly.

Shipping Method: Standard Shipping
Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items: $16.49
Shipping & Handling: $3.99
------
Total for this Order: $20.48

Delivery estimate: October 8, 2009
1 "How to Build and Modify GM LS-Series Engines (Motorbooks Workshop)"
Joseph Potak; Paperback; $16.49
Old 10-05-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
Looks like Overstock has it for $19.28 shipped

http://www.overstock.com/cart?addid3...der+this+title

best price I've found so far...

EDIT: PURCHASED!
Thanks Soul
I ordered one for $18.01 shipped. Can't wait to read...
Old 10-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Very cool good luck, and thanks for the work i'll buy a copy sometime in the very near future!

Quick Reply: Announcing a new LS-series "How-to" publication: