Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Announcing a new LS-series "How-to" publication:

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 01:47 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was surprised to see amazon.com had it for only 16.49! After reading your very nice description of the book in the first post, I was expecting it to be at least double that. But hell, for $20 after shipping, I had to order it. I just got done assembling my first ever LS engine (370 iron block), but this book would be a great future reference, and to look and see what (if anything lol) I missed, or skipped over on my build. It'll for sure be a great addition to my coffee table in my living room! Can't wait to receive it in the mail!
Old 10-17-2009, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Book is sweet. Might be getting some more for some friends B-day presents.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bought it =)
Old 10-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Picked this up the other day. I like all the clear color photos in it. I learned a few things that will help me with my LQ4 build.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Talking Announcing a new LS-series "How-to" publication:

My book finally arrived today after I bought it off of Overstock.com for a little under $20 shipped. Just thought I'd snap a few pictures so you guys could see it. It's got a ton of pictures in it, great for people like me who hate to read. But besides the pictures it's also got some great reading in it too for you poindexters out there. 176 pages front to back in fact...

Definitely worth the purchase!

Watch video in full size by clicking on the link below to see better detail. Sorry for the quality. The original was much more clear, I guess YouTube likes to compress the crap out of videos and degrades the quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPxV49abPbs
Old 11-01-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Old 11-11-2009, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Got my copy autographed by the author:

Now I gotta find a way for him to sign my engine.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Just got my copy! Very nice! A friend of mine told me you might be working on another project...care to share any details if that's true?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:54 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Originally Posted by WayTooStock
Just got my copy! Very nice! A friend of mine told me you might be working on another project...care to share any details if that's true?
Thanks! I just finished "1993-2002 Camaro and Firebird Performance Handbook", which deals with the many aspects of building up a 4th Gen F-body. This one is not a how-to book such as the LS engine one, it is more of a guidebook assisting the reader to choose the parts desired for things like road racing or drag racing, or lining out confusion in torque converter function, clutch choices, and other drivetrain areas. Its full of F-body information that would take several years of 1st hand experience to gather. It is currently being sent to the printing company.

I am currently working on an "LS-Engine Swap Manual", basically swapping LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, LS7, and LS9 engines (and LS-style vortec engines) into mainly older GM cars. Engine identification (used and new), swap parts needed, PCM/harness choices, fuel systems, and other vehicle systems affected, etc. Its a bigger project than I had planned for, and should be a very handy resource, just in the engine identification portions.

If you can't tell by my 1st book, these are very labor intensive (especially while keeping a hectic full-time position). After the Swap manual, I will likely take some time off to rest and catch up on things I've put off. Although I will always have some sort of writing project going on, hopefully some that are a little simpler.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

Gotta say, bought the book & was very impressed with it. I will have it read cover to cover before starting my 347 build.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I might have to get me one
Old 04-07-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Ordered mine today
Old 04-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Thanks! I just finished "1993-2002 Camaro and Firebird Performance Handbook", which deals with the many aspects of building up a 4th Gen F-body. This one is not a how-to book such as the LS engine one, it is more of a guidebook assisting the reader to choose the parts desired for things like road racing or drag racing, or lining out confusion in torque converter function, clutch choices, and other drivetrain areas. Its full of F-body information that would take several years of 1st hand experience to gather. It is currently being sent to the printing company.

I am currently working on an "LS-Engine Swap Manual", basically swapping LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, LS7, and LS9 engines (and LS-style vortec engines) into mainly older GM cars. Engine identification (used and new), swap parts needed, PCM/harness choices, fuel systems, and other vehicle systems affected, etc. Its a bigger project than I had planned for, and should be a very handy resource, just in the engine identification portions.

If you can't tell by my 1st book, these are very labor intensive (especially while keeping a hectic full-time position). After the Swap manual, I will likely take some time off to rest and catch up on things I've put off. Although I will always have some sort of writing project going on, hopefully some that are a little simpler.
Congratulations . I still have to pick up the 1st book; plan to purchase a copy off Amazon shorty. Hopefully my picture's turned out nice for the new one.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

awesome, ordering right now!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I think I'll order this book too when I have some spare cash. I'm really looking forward to the Engine Swap Manual as I'm in the very beginning of my own conversion. Do you touch on S-10 swaps at all? Either way from what you mentioned it seems the book going to be a very good reference for any swap in general.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:53 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like an awesome book,should be buying a copy very soon,may get it off ebay or amazon.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Ordered one from Amazon.

"How to Build and Modify GM LS-Series Engines (Motorbooks Workshop)"
Joseph Potak; Paperback; $16.49

Shipping estimate for this item: April 8, 2010
Old 04-08-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Honda Nick
Got my copy autographed by the author:

Now I gotta find a way for him to sign my engine.
How do I get him to sign mine.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by -Joseph-

When is the "93-02 Camaro and Firebird Performance Handbook" going to be ready for sale? Are we looking at maybe the end of the year? I will buy it for sure!!
Old 04-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Just purchased mine from Amazon!

Quick Reply: Announcing a new LS-series "How-to" publication: