Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Announcing a new LS-series "How-to" publication:

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Which 93-02 Camaro Handbook did you find? Although I just turned it in, I don't expect my "F-body Guidebook" to be out until sometime next summer I'd imagine.

The LSx book was supposed to be back in stock Friday according to the last information I viewed on their site before the weekend, it looks like it is showing "In Stock" currently. It also seems they have been doing really well on Amazon looking at the hourly rankings, if yours shows out of stock, it should change status pretty quick in the next day or so I'd think.

Thanks, it has as much information as I could cram into ~60K words - and still be readible.
I found out that it will be out 10th aug 2010 and I had to cancel the book cause I couldnt change my shipping pref(only one package instead of 2 package so I would wait one year for the motorbook too )..anyway cant wait to have it!

and its back in stock
Old 10-05-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORDERED!

it says i get a free lsx block of choice with purchase
Old 10-05-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great book...lots of good info
Old 10-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Teching In

LS Newbie here, just ordered this and Bryant's book also. Looking forward to reading them, and I HATE reading.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:24 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Can't wait to read into this one (since Joseph wouldn't give me one or let me read it for free!)
Cheap labor and "free" tech info? I think not.

Originally Posted by Gh0st
See, I do not lie:
Thanks for your order!
Cool, I figured you would pick one up. Let me know if there is anything in particular you found interesting, I like the feedback and it may help me to improve my document writing in the future.

Originally Posted by Jeff Smith
Thanks Soul
I ordered one for $18.01 shipped. Can't wait to read...
Good deal!

Originally Posted by Y2K WS6
Very cool good luck, and thanks for the work i'll buy a copy sometime in the very near future!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I found out that it will be out 10th aug 2010 and I had to cancel the book cause I couldnt change my shipping pref(only one package instead of 2 package so I would wait one year for the motorbook too )..anyway cant wait to have it!

and its back in stock
You found my other one on Amazon too? I could not find it, I'll take another look. Cool you got it straightened out, it would suck to wait a year for a book that is out now!

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
ORDERED!

it says i get a free lsx block of choice with purchase
Thanks! LOL, I wish I could have received some free parts! I did get 1 piston and ring set from Wiseco for the assembly images - I've been trying to get the other 7 to no avail. *cough*briannutter*cough*

Originally Posted by stevied916
great book...lots of good info
Thanks StevieD, it def. has a lot of information.

Originally Posted by Hai-tek7
LS Newbie here, just ordered this and Bryant's book also. Looking forward to reading them, and I HATE reading.
I believe you will find the book to be really informative. If you don't like reading, you can probably pick up a few things from the images and captions, then go back over the text later. I -think- I kept the chapter text lively enough to keep people interested into reading further.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered mine from amazon and just recieved it on monday.This book is definately very cool.I don't like reading either but this book is worth the 20 dollars and change I paid for it.Very informative and easy to follow.I highly recommend it.

Last edited by transwiz; 10-07-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Picked it up at B&N the other day, awesome book man, will help me alot learning everything for my build this winter!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was really thinking I was going to have to read til opened up the book.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

so far from quick skims through the book i love the detailed pics to understand things that are talked about. if and when you decide to make another book please keep up with the pictures because it makes a nice detail in reference to what you're reading especially for us newbs
Old 10-09-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

I've had mine for a couple weeks, it's a great book. Nicely put together and very informative
Old 10-09-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

-Joseph-,

I just received mine from Amazon last night...

mate, I couldn't put it down, my Mrs was yelling at me "put the book down and eat your dinner"...

Great pics, great text, good juicy/meaty content... thanks...

Cheers,
Joe

Last edited by joecar; 10-09-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by transwiz
I ordered mine from amazon and just recieved it on monday.This book is definately very cool.I don't like reading either but this book is worth the 20 dollars and change I paid for it.Very informative and easy to follow.I highly recommend it.
Thanks for the feedback! Glad you like it.

Originally Posted by 2XR95Z28
Picked it up at B&N the other day, awesome book man, will help me alot learning everything for my build this winter!
Its pretty cool that it is ending up in book stores, I have not found it locally yet. Just like any tool in the garage, the manual should fit right in.

Originally Posted by JeaneZ28
I was really thinking I was going to have to read til opened up the book.
You can still read it, the pictures are quite a distraction I know!

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
so far from quick skims through the book i love the detailed pics to understand things that are talked about. if and when you decide to make another book please keep up with the pictures because it makes a nice detail in reference to what you're reading especially for us newbs
That is what I aimed to achieve. I'm glad it hits the mark. I tried to write it for 99% of the people who would be building engines in the future - nothing crazy technical without explanation.

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
I've had mine for a couple weeks, it's a great book. Nicely put together and very informative
Thanks!

Originally Posted by joecar
-Joseph-,

I just received mine from Amazon last night...

mate, I couldn't put it down, my Mrs was yelling at me "put the book down and eat your dinner"...

Great pics, great text, good juicy/meaty content... thanks...

Cheers,
Joe
That is a funny experience: "put that book down and..." -insert any "honey do's" here- Similar to what I went through during the writing process, "put that book down and take out the trash", I can't count how many times I heard that one. I'm safe mentioning that on 'tech since my wife doesn't visit.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm happy with the amount of content that I was able to fit, I actually had to cut back a few things to keep it the size it is.

If you guys who bought from Amazon get some free time, can you post up a quick review? I believe you just have to go to the book's page while being logged in and it should have a review link.

Thanks for all the comments, they are appreciated!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

received mine on friday and starting reading through it over the weekend. I will say this book is very informative. This book will really come in handy when i'm ready to starting building my motor. well worth the money spent. love the detailed pics also!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine came today. Thanks a ton and I am very impressed so far. Good job Joseph.

BTW I don't see any shameless plugs. I do see a guy using what is available to him as a reference for the topic at hand. Which I'm sure anyone doing the same kind of book would do as well.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
received mine on friday and starting reading through it over the weekend. I will say this book is very informative. This book will really come in handy when i'm ready to starting building my motor. well worth the money spent. love the detailed pics also!!!
Glad you like it!

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Mine came today. Thanks a ton and I am very impressed so far. Good job Joseph.

BTW I don't see any shameless plugs. I do see a guy using what is available to him as a reference for the topic at hand. Which I'm sure anyone doing the same kind of book would do as well.
Thanks Mr. Manalishi! I'm glad you can read it for what it is: a How-to manual. Some people (P.C. version) think I had a prior hidden agenda tagging along, but you said it best in the above quote. I appreciate your honest feedback.

Not directing this at anyone but I was told the "plug" reference was due to me mentioning the results of a LS1 Camaro I myself built for TSP in one of the image captions. I wish I had more data available for other setups, but due to image copyright laws I cannot just gather random images from a google search or copy/paste information from websites without legal permission - they must be obtained using the proper channels. I used what I myself had available with firsthand experience without jumping through hoops or buying the other setups myself, I requested sample dyno graphs for all discussed parts and used everything submitted FWIW.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:57 AM
On The Tree

Just ordered mine along with other books!!

I'm from Saudi Arabia BTW, haha
Old 10-13-2009, 04:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Don't recommend ordering it from Overstock.com to save a buck or two... ordered mine like 2 weeks ago, and still hasn't been shipped... Doesn't look like it'll ship till the 28th either.

Here's the online chat conversation I had with them...

Chat InformationWelcome to Overstock.com Live Chat, you will be joined with a chat representative as quickly as possible.
Chat InformationWelcome to Overstock.com Customer Service, you are now chatting with Clark.
Clark: Thanks for visiting Overstock.com, this is Clark, how can I help you?
you: Hi Clark, yes I just wanted to check on an order of mine.
Clark: I'll be glad to check and help you with that information.
you: Order # 792xxxx
Clark: Thank you.
you: no problem
Clark: Are you referring to 'How to Build and Modify Gm Ls-series Engines (Paperback)' ?
you: that's the one
Clark: I see that release date of this book is 10/28/2009.
you: Actually, it's already out...
you: I know a few people who have it already
Clark: The item will ship from our warehouse within 1 to 3 business days from the release date and arrive within 2-15 business days from the day they are shipped excluding weekends within lower 48 states.
Clark: Yes, it may be out however, on our site it is not yet released by the manufacturer.
you: Ah I see...
Clark: Release date is decided by publisher as they release their items on site.
you: seems like I read somewhere you guys are getting this book from Amazon? If that's the case they are already shipping it out as well...
Clark: The book will be released directly by publisher on our site and we'll not purchase the item from Amazon.
you: ok thank you

Last edited by Soul TKR; 10-13-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

Ordered mine from Amazon

I hope its as good as everybody is saying.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Noxious
Ordered mine from Amazon

I hope its as good as everybody is saying.
It's way better.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:35 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the book recently as well. Everything I have seen thus far has been top notch with regard to the book, the writing, and the overall layout of the book.

I am still in the process of reading the book. While I have not had a chance to go over every single word or page in the book I will say that the book covers all the important point, and has good information related to every apsect of the LSx engine. I would highly recommend it for anyone's bookshelf...

As soon as I am done I will post up an ammended review. But, as I said, so far its definitely thumbs up.

Quick Reply: Announcing a new LS-series "How-to" publication: