Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major engine problems with JPR 388

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 04:22 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Smoke trails behind a car at WOT could be due to bad pcv, bad seals, bad guides, cracked cylinder heads or a cracked ring.

Good luck to all involved I'd sure like to see this car work right and run low 11's @ 122-124mmph which would be inline with the dyno #'s.

94 in the 1/8th was indicative of 11.4's with my old setup.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EZSS, I am sorry about your problems but I wouldn’t recommend legal action. Your own statements seem to me to undermine your case. You admit that you installed larger injectors and changed the A/F relying on Autotap and a MAF translator. This is a highly dubious approach. You believe that 7000 RPM is not excessive with hydraulic lifters. I seriously doubt that JPR guaranteed your engine would safely turn that speed. You should concede that you may be at least partially responsible for the damage and try to reach an amicable settlement. Just one guy’s opinion.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:33 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ezss
If any other sponsor is willing to help me, or thinks they have a solution for me, please email ezerner@yahoo.com
The sponsor that built this motor should be the one helping you and resolve the problem. You'll be doubling your cost going to another shop and have an entirely new setup built. I doubt anyone is going to want to deal with a damaged setup as it sits. It would put to much liability on them if something went wrong again...

JPR needs to have a solution, he was payed to do the job...JMO

Josh
Old 12-05-2003, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Erik sorry about your troubles but i guess not the curtin has been pulled back and now everybody knows there is no great and powerful oz

Jay
Old 12-05-2003, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Smoke trails behind a car at WOT could be due to bad pcv, bad seals, bad guides, cracked cylinder heads or a cracked ring.

Good luck to all involved I'd sure like to see this car work right and run low 11's @ 122-124mmph which would be inline with the dyno #'s.

94 in the 1/8th was indicative of 11.4's with my old setup.

I agree with this assessment, except every single one of those issues was addressed and did not solve the problem, it just kept getting worse.

PCV -- oil converstion was done
valve seals -- entire cylender heads were replaced by JPR, and my old ones were sold and checked out fine.
guides -- see above
cylender heads -- see above
cracked ring -- rings were in bad shape, yep.

I'd sign it off as an oil problem, but the fact that I could never get the car to run very well makes me think there was larger issues from the getgo.

I think the car had an 11.6 in here with h/c the way I was driving, all my best runs I either missed 4th, or the one time I really ripped her up was at cecil and the clocks werent functioning all the time, but my tazzo said 11.7, and it was pretty much a tenth slow the entire day. It was my best ever 60' and 1/8 to that point, which were on the timeslip. The car should have been able to run better than just .2 to .4 faster inmho.

Even if that is not the case, I had the car back to JPR to change the cylender heads and I dont understand if there was an major cylender problem at that point how they would not notice. You would have to be blindly negligent at that point. If it wasnt a problem then, then it would have been caused by the new cylender heads install, because I took it to the track right after that and it was smoking more and running even slower (SLP day.)
Old 12-05-2003, 05:05 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

I've read alot of the posts, but not all. I gotta call BS to the Nth degree on the overrevving. My motor has seen 7500 rpms with COMP R's, stock pushrods, and stock rockers. See's 7100 all the time. I don't think either of you guys are being completely honest. You should both give up a little $$ and settle it.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12k into a motor that smokes and runs high 11`s???
Is anyone else having trouble with a 478rwhp running high 11`s @ 117 mph? Unless your car weighs 4500 pounds and running on bicycle tires it doesnt add up.

Your right something doesnt sound right here.

Good luck with getting help though sounds like some denial is going on here. I would put a stock short block into your car with the heads and any decent cam and you should have no problems easily matching your high 11`s and spinning 7000 grand too.

Ill also add ive heard JPR is a stand up guy . It would be nice to see something good happen for this guy who payed all this money.

Last edited by offaxis; 12-05-2003 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gary Z
EZSS, I am sorry about your problems but I wouldn’t recommend legal action. Your own statements seem to me to undermine your case. You admit that you installed larger injectors and changed the A/F relying on Autotap and a MAF translator. This is a highly dubious approach. You believe that 7000 RPM is not excessive with hydraulic lifters. I seriously doubt that JPR guaranteed your engine would safely turn that speed. You should concede that you may be at least partially responsible for the damage and try to reach an amicable settlement. Just one guy’s opinion.
Injectors were installed at JD's recommendation. I was told it would be a minor issue to adjust the PCM. I wanted to be sure, so I ataped it, and made the adjustments needed until the car could be re-tuned with the new heads on the dyno. The car was driven almost not at all during that period.

I dont think 7k is excessive, stock SCCA corvettes and most h/c setups I have seen run the limiter to 7k. I was shifting around 6800-6900, and rarely hit the limiter.

As I told JD and JPR, I am not willing to believe this is my fault, BUT I will share in the financial impact. I will not pay full price (or more than full price) though. I think the costs should be shared or something worked out. I have made multiple offers, but every time the reply I get back is that is what it will cost to fix it. What am I supposed to do?

I am very tempted to push the car into a lake at this point and see what insurance can give me (after stripping off after market parts of course). Of course I wont do it, but this is what I feel like at this point.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4mulaJoe
I've read alot of the posts, but not all. I gotta call BS to the Nth degree on the overrevving. My motor has seen 7500 rpms with COMP R's, stock pushrods, and stock rockers. See's 7100 all the time. I don't think either of you guys are being completely honest. You should both give up a little $$ and settle it.
I think Im being as straightforward as I can be, but that is all I am asking. $5-6k to put it back to running status is not working for me. $5k to upgrade me I can work with, although like I said, I will probably not be able to reap the benefit of this. I will need to sell the car.

I have never heard of comp r lifters collapsing, this alone makes me thing there is a serious setup/install problem. 5 comp R lifters collapsing? come on now.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am aware that many LS1s routinely exceed 7000 RPM but it still unreasonable to believe that this is without risk, especially if there are reasons to believe that the tuning is not exactly right. A MAFT is not adequate compensation for a big cam and bigger injectors. Again, sorry about your problems.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

I was seriously torn between remaining silent (because this ain't my problem) and that I might appear meddlesome or out-of-line by butting in. However, if I was in the situation the Eric is in, I would want someone.. a disinterested party.. to confirm whatever it is that I was trying to get across- especially when a substantial sum of money has exchanged hands.

I was at ATCO when Eric ran the car.. as were Joe Prince, Barry (from Quicktime Performance) and a few other guys from this board & LS1.com.

The smoke (blueish) was very evident, and Eric was having a hard time shifting.. me even joking that he *also* should get a TH400 like me. However, in the following video, you will see (at night time) the blue smoke out the hole, and at every shift.. which was wayyy grannyshifted:

http://www.o-c-racing.com/ezss.mov

I really don't know Joe Prince that well, but when some guy was jerking him around and it looked like he was about to get beat out of the money for a tranny- I helped him by making a few phone calls to fellow officers and the tranny appeared post-haste.

By the same token here, I would venture to say that Joe should work with Eric and the "make him whole" by taking care of this like a gentleman. Please don't take this as an attack on you- because if Eric owed you, I'd say he has to uphold his end of the bargain and settle-up.

This also ain't just bulletin board chatter.. I'd be willing to sign a notarized statement to this effect, appear as a subpoenaed witness, and I have no vested interest in this- other than wanting to see someone get what they bargained for.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

You know what happens when threads like this are started, both side loose a lot of credibility. Having seen stuff like this pop up about once a month, I have always found it best for folks to get back in contact and work out a solution. Having an oil burning car that gets kicked off off the track is hardly good advertising.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:40 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Having an oil burning car that gets kicked off off the track is hardly good advertising.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:40 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

What bore is the block now?
Old 12-05-2003, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Default Erik

You Will Get Nothing Accomplished Here--the People On Here Can Give You Their Opinions All Day---why Don't You Call Me And See What We Can Do.

The Bs On The Internet Is Getting You No Where Closer To Getting Your Car Fixed--

Easiest Way----call Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You Know Joe Prince Is A Stand Up Guy--there Is No Way Around It Erik.

You Are Not Using The Internet Against Anyone--i Have Been Open Along Time Doing Mustangs And Chevrolets--on The Dyno And Street.
So Please If You Want To Resolve Your Problem With Your Engine--call Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Will Give You The Best Price And Best Advice On What To Do--you Can Decide From There.

I Am Jammed Packed Here---i Do Not Have Time For Internet Keyboard Wars--so Stop It Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also Stop Saying I Put The Injectors In Your Car--i Never Did That-i Even Checked All Your Receipts.
I Recommend 42lb Injectors To You--which Will Work Fine If Tuned Properly---you Said You Wanted No Problems--that Is What I Do To The Fuel Systems--other Guys Have Other Opinions--i Base My Recommendations On The Testing I Do On The Dyno And Track.

42lb Injector Will Support 600+hp Atthe Flywheel With .50 Bsfc And Running The Injector At 90% Duty Cycle On An 8 Cylinder Engine.

The Only Way You Will Here From Me Again Is On The Telephone--when You Call--sorry For Being Harsh But My Name And The Shop's Name Are Worth More To Me Than The Internet Bs!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Again Erik
Joe Dutkiewicz

Also Erik--i Never Did Anything Wrong To You To Even Try To Bring Me In On Anything,nor Did Joe Prince And You Know It---so Stop It!!!!
Old 12-05-2003, 05:50 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
You know what happens when threads like this are started, both side loose a lot of credibility. Having seen stuff like this pop up about once a month, I have always found it best for folks to get back in contact and work out a solution. Having an oil burning car that gets kicked off off the track is hardly good advertising.
I totally agree with John on this. If the car was actually smoking from day ONE with the 30#SVO's then there was a problem from day ONE. I am sure JPR will try his best to make this customer happy. This is why I pay cash for ALL MY MODDING.. Getting stuck with bills for a car that is not running sucks. Yes I could have a running 408ci right now if I charged it, but I have no problem letting the months go by while I save the cash. Erik I am sure you will get the monster working again, but better this next go round.

Good Luck!!
Old 12-05-2003, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Default Lifters-7000+rpm

One More Thing Erik---i Said The Hydraulic Lifters Will Work Butfor How Long--i Do Not Know And Would Not Warranty!!

You Wanted More Power So I Suggested A Solid Roller To Eliminate The Lifter Problem And More Power.

Hydraulic Lifters Will Fail With The Correct Valve Spring Pressure To Rev To 7000 Rpm Safely--maybe Not Right Away But They Will.

I Have Seen It On The Engine Dyno And Track Cars.

The Other Number One Thing Is Overevving--example--missed Shifts
You Cannot Lift Your Foot Off The Gas Pedal Fast Enough When This Happens--i Don't Care Who You Are.
That Is Why I Recommended An Aftermarket Rev Limiter.

I Saw The Engine Apart--i Know What Causes Certain Things--this Is What I Do Everyday---i Do This Professionally--not From Behind A Keyboard.

Sorry About Being Harsh Again--but I Will Stand Behind Joe Prince Or Any Other Engine Builder Doing A Good Job And Being Bashed Around.
I Will Not Support Internet Yahoos---ever---you Will Get No Where With Them.

Need Home Remodeling--call A Carpenter
Need Plumbing Work Done--call A Plumber
Need A Driveway--call A Concrete Contractor
Need An Engine Built Or Car Tuned--call A Professional--you Wouldn't Ask Any Of The Above About It--
Can You Understand What I Mean Now??about The Internet--very Easy To Be A Professional Behind A Keyboard,and Give Advice On Something You Do Not Do Nor Work At.

Thank You
I Apologize To Anyone I Offended If I Did--this Is How I Feel And I Stated The Facts!!!

Joe Dutkiewicz
Old 12-05-2003, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Joe

I am not a mechanic but I have learned plenty from the posts on this board . What exactly is a internet yahoo?
Old 12-05-2003, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Default Internet Yahoo--

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I Will Leave That Up To You--

Thanks
Joe
Old 12-05-2003, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

The car in the video sure smokes.