Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major engine problems with JPR 388

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 06:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

How will the Comp R lifters fail after seeing 7000-7200 rpms?

I have a set in my car with .005 lifter preload and hope to spin my motor to 7200 here and there over the summer.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope someone steps up and helps this guy out. I hate to see a guy spend all this money and have so many problems.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RESTOMAN

I Will Stand Behind Joe Prince Or Any Other Engine Builder Doing A Good Job And Being Bashed Around.
I Will Not Support Internet Yahoos---ever---you Will Get No Where With Them.

Joe Dutkiewicz
Joe,

If Joe Prince did "a good job" the engine wouldn't be smoking, and Eric would be happy, and this thread (and another like it on LS1.Com) wouldn't exist.

You can't argue with the video.. it's prima facie evidence to the contrary.

Like PSJ said, a smoking LS1 getting kicked off the track is horrible advertising.

Last edited by mrb00formula; 12-05-2003 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

Well said Mr B
Old 12-05-2003, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

I can't really comment on the technical aspect of the situation, but I do hope that things get sorted out. If the car smokes and he built the motor, and you didn't do any forced induction.. I am of the opinion that like many of our other sponsers, the problem should be taken care of by them. The LAST thing you need to do, is have somebody else tear it down and look at it. Don't let them tear it down and try to get it repaired elsewhere just yet. Give JPR another opportunity to take care of the situation or at least post here in their defense. We had another member here tear down and replace the block that had dropped a sleeve on here, and the sponser he used wouldn't warranty it due to somebody else tampering with it.. He more than likely would have warrantied it after seeing all the negative feedback. If they don't respond now and it is their fault, they will eventually because I don't think anybody who reads this thread will think about taking the risk to do business with them. Having this kind of bad publicity is a good idea. That being said, I've heard nothing but good things about JPR.. and I had thought about ordering a set of his heads for tax return to compliment my comp cams xe-r 224 as his dyno numbers were astounding for a mild cam. I am confident he will come on here to defend his good name. Sorry to hear about your bad fortune thus far, especially financing the engine. Good luck with what may come in the future.

Peace,
Old 12-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

JD we appreciate your honesty. We really appreciate you backing up JPR as well. I have one question. Why did the tuner that JPR recommended to Mike K. set his hydraulic cammed cars rev limiter to well over 7000rpm?
Old 12-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Restricted User

Sounds to me like JD is offering to help out. And agree that taking it to someone else it will cost you more, and then of course void any chance of redemption due ot you or previous shop.

JD, no one elses business on here really, but I think this post was started to get your attention. As he said he got nowhere calling and leavng messages.

Also, sounds like there were several recommendations that were ignored. Thats why if your a cam expert and I ask what size lobes for said heads etc...I am NOT going to go agianst your advice and buy a cam contrary to those specs given by the expert.

ezss-no more posting until you call JD please. He put his offer up and you should honor that.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like typical BS on needing pistons/hone/rods, but hope you find the problem.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:27 PM
9 Second Club

I had ordered a 427 Darton block from Joe Prince two months ago. Later, I found reference to Erik's car smoking and Bears engine build going onand on since May. For those reasons I decided to cancel my order and have a 383 built by another vendor. After reading all of this I'm really glad I went with another vendor.....
Old 12-05-2003, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

I Never Did Anything Wrong To You To Even Try To Bring Me In On Anything,nor Did Joe Prince And You Know It---so Stop It!!!!
This is on JPR's website:

"Going for a killer natural aspirated setup or even a simple quality performance rebuild... JPR has what you need. We use nothing but the finest parts and can build the engine you are looking for."

This is on JD's website:

"Our Guarantee to you – We stand behind all work and guarantee your complete satisfaction."

If you refuse to do the right thing and make Eric's motor run the way it should, how many more people would be willing to let you touch thier cars? This stuff gets around real quick.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Your best bet is to stop wasting time on the internet cause you just get alot of opinions from people who just like to shoot their mouths off. Call Joe if you cant get it resolved with him then take legal action. Trying to get it resolved on the internet just makes for alot of gossip.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess im the internet "yahoo"?

I talked to JD again, and he says JPR is out of business, that i have no recourse with JPR, that he now works for JD.

JD says things break, that just how it goes. Hes had people put $30k into a motor, and it breaks. He will work with me a little on the price, but somehow it still comes out to the same price or gets to be more every time we talk. There would be no warranty. It is roughly $5k to fix, probably a bit more, and that + $1000 for JE rods, price of stroker (i would get the 4" eagle at $820 from spohn), and price of any further machining of block needed to upgrade me to a 427. The block is honed a tenth, which would make it a 4.135" bore instead of a 4.125". I guess that would technically make it like a 429.

Thats the deal on the table for me, it really hasnt changed. JD assures me that he will do a kick a** job, he cant realy speak to Joe's work before because he wasnt involved.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can see JD's standpoint on the JPR assembling the motor before he came to work for JD.

I do believe that they'd get it fixed and running the way you want it though. I guess ya' gotta decide if that's what you want to spend and if you feel confident that you'll get what you want out of it.

It's gotta be a very tough decision for you. I wish you the best in whatever route you choose.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And as for my credibility, I really no longer care. This has been going on close to 9 months now, and I really do this as a last recourse, to get input, and not really expecting anything to come of it, but feeling that I also need to get the word out and see if JPR's rep and pride in his work means anything to him, and trying to give him every possible chance to try and work with me or help me out.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I Will Not Support Internet Yahoos---ever---you Will Get No Where With Them.

Need Home Remodeling--call A Carpenter
Need Plumbing Work Done--call A Plumber
Need A Driveway--call A Concrete Contractor
Need An Engine Built Or Car Tuned--call A Professional--you Wouldn't Ask Any Of The Above About It--
Can You Understand What I Mean Now??about The Internet--very Easy To Be A Professional Behind A Keyboard,and Give Advice On Something You Do Not Do Nor Work At.

Thank You
I Apologize To Anyone I Offended If I Did--this Is How I Feel And I Stated The Facts!!!

Joe Dutkiewicz
You may be new to the internet game, but I like Joe so I will give you some advice and tell you to be careful of what you say on the internet. A few intelligent "Internet Yahoos" with some time on their hands could very well put you out of business.

The fact is that you are not exactly dealing with a common cross-section of the population with this internet site. There are lots and lots of Engineers/Mechanics, and other very knowledgeable people who post on this board. I myself graduated from a top 5 engineering college and have worked in the automotive industry for two years with Volvo and with BMW, granted I probably do not know as much about engines as you do, I am far from an "Internet Yahoo" .

From what I have read from the posts here there is definately some fault in both parties. Here are a couple of facts that I know:

1. Joe Prince has been a very good guy in all of my dealings with him and is generally reputable.

2. Joe Prince is very busy and often bites off more than he can chew as far as work goes. Generally he will go out of his way to help you out if you have patience with him.

3. Installing injectors into an LS1 is a VERY BIG TASK on the tuning side, you must find somene with ALOT of edit experience. You certainly could not fix this with a MAFT, and is probably a main point in the problems with this engine.

4. I am positive that you and Joe Prince have left this guy hanging until he felt that he had to take things into his own hands. I do think that what he has done caused SOME of the problems. The OTHER problems were caused by you not doing a turn key job, letting him mix and match components, and letting a not-finished product go out the door.

I hope that you guys can resolve this on your own outside of this internet forum.

People reading this should take note of this next time you decide to jump in and bash companies like LPE. All I have ever heard about LPE is how they are too expensive blah blah blah, that is what comes from R&D engineering a turn-key package that is reliable. That extra money can go toward fixing the one package in a hundered that goes to hell in a handbasket.....Which should be expected.

-Nick

Last edited by niphilli; 12-05-2003 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:38 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

JPR out of business???? Even after repairing the motor you will get NO WARRANTY from JD?? What the hell?? Bro!!! If you are going to spend $5k to fix your shizit with NO WARRANTY you are crazy!! You can get a brand new shortblock similar to what you have for that price WITH A WARRANTY! I am going to give you the best advice you will ever hear in this thread. Go pick your shizit up and have it towed to Futral Motorsports. You will get no better pricing and Allan will stand behind his work. I have no problem with JPR, but this disturbs me. Mike K. and I was up there the day you picked your car up. We were in the hotel waiting on JPR to finish dyno-testing your car. I'm not going to say anymore than that.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:38 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ezss
I guess im the internet "yahoo"?

I talked to JD again, and he says JPR is out of business, that i have no recourse with JPR, that he now works for JD.
If JPR is out of business then why is he still listed as a sponsor on this board? Anyone? Wouldn't it be a good move for the mods to remove his ad from this site?
Old 12-05-2003, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will have a talk to the admins about this in the mod section. Some recourse must be available.
Whatever you do if it isnt under warranty go elsewhere.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:43 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Angry

And as for my credibility, I really no longer care. This has been going on close to 9 months now, and I really do this as a last recourse, to get input, and not really expecting anything to come of it, but feeling that I also need to get the word out and see if JPR's rep and pride in his work means anything to him, and trying to give him every possible chance to try and work with me or help me out.
Eric, I have heard through the grapevine about your previous trouble with your last setup and now this one. Your luck sucks, but you're not alone. I think this will work itself out somehow and you'll come out on top. That being said, DO NOT take this up the ***. You do have the right to get something done, and you should. Just because you've been given lame *** "out of business" excuses and the alike doesn't mean you stop reaching for a result. If you have to, take LEGAL action. Do not give up and pay someone else to fix the car. Some people need to learn customer service, quality control, and how to properly back up their product obviously. Time to shell out a lesson or two

Good luck man, I just hate to sit by and see a fellow racer get screwed while he's got 12,000 dollars in credit card debt for a POFS motor that runs slower than a bolt on M6...

josh
Old 12-05-2003, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Damian
Eric, I have heard through the grapevine about your previous trouble with your last setup and now this one. Your luck sucks, but you're not alone. I think this will work itself out somehow and you'll come out on top. That being said, DO NOT take this up the ***. You do have the right to get something done, and you should. Just because you've been given lame *** "out of business" excuses and the alike doesn't mean you stop reaching for a result. If you have to, take LEGAL action. Do not give up and pay someone else to fix the car. Some people need to learn customer service, quality control, and how to properly back up their product obviously. Time to shell out a lesson or two

Good luck man, I just hate to sit by and see a fellow racer get screwed while he's got 12,000 dollars in credit card debt for a POFS motor that runs slower than a bolt on M6...

josh
If it werent for bad luck, Id have no luck at all!

Quick Reply: Major engine problems with JPR 388