Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil in exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in exhaust?

what would cause oil to come out of exhaust? compression good no oil fouled plugs, good pcv valve,
Old 11-01-2009, 01:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

valve stem seals
Old 11-02-2009, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even with a good PCV valve, you could still be vacuuming oil into the intake. I would take off the induction and look in the TB and see if there is any oil sitting in the bottom of the intake. Like mention above, valve seals are something else to look at. If they are worn, oil can run down the valves and into the combustion chambers. You could also check the intake rocker arm bolts. If the rockers have been off the car and you didn't use any kind of sealant on the bolts, oil can run into the intake runner there. Typically any small amount of oil is burned during combustion so if you can actually see it in the exhaust pipes, it should be pretty easy to diagnose I would think. Let us know if we can help!

Jon
Old 11-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
Even with a good PCV valve, you could still be vacuuming oil into the intake. I would take off the induction and look in the TB and see if there is any oil sitting in the bottom of the intake. Like mention above, valve seals are something else to look at. If they are worn, oil can run down the valves and into the combustion chambers. You could also check the intake rocker arm bolts. If the rockers have been off the car and you didn't use any kind of sealant on the bolts, oil can run into the intake runner there. Typically any small amount of oil is burned during combustion so if you can actually see it in the exhaust pipes, it should be pretty easy to diagnose I would think. Let us know if we can help!

Jon
do you mean using locktight on the rocker bolts or you meanto use RTV sealent?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You use sealant on the rocker bolts to seal the threads and keep oil from getting by.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
You use sealant on the rocker bolts to seal the threads and keep oil from getting by.

The intake rocker bolts lead to the intake ports? Didn't know that.

I better go back and seal them suckers up.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Banned

wow i had no idea. so i use the locktight on the exhaust rockers and use rtv sealent on the intake ones? do we use the red, black or blue rtv?
Old 11-02-2009, 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

GM only puts a little goop on the washer part of the bolt, I assume to hold it in place a bit. Only once ported do the heads need the sealant on the bolts. Our technician uses black RTV on the rocker arm bolts (permatex I believe), due to it being somewhere between teflon and loctite in hardness.

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 11-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Teching In

I have had the rockers off when I installed the trex, put lil dab of red loctite on the threads when torqued down rockers, but am fixing to change pushrods, so i will defineitely put some rtv on them... I looked at the valve stems to see if it had any of them kicked up but all looked fine, from what i could see..only other thig that may be connected to the oil issue is low vacuum, it was pulling about 12-14, didn know if that was common with trex or what should it pull? Is did notice a lil oil behind the throttle body, what could i do to to eliminate that?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jwilsonf
I have had the rockers off when I installed the trex, put lil dab of red loctite on the threads when torqued down rockers, but am fixing to change pushrods, so i will defineitely put some rtv on them... I looked at the valve stems to see if it had any of them kicked up but all looked fine, from what i could see..only other thig that may be connected to the oil issue is low vacuum, it was pulling about 12-14, didn know if that was common with trex or what should it pull? Is did notice a lil oil behind the throttle body, what could i do to to eliminate that?
get a pcv catch can
Old 11-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Banned

GM only puts a little goop on the washer part of the bolt, I assume to hold it in place a bit. Only once ported do the heads need the sealant on the bolts. Our technician uses black RTV on the rocker arm bolts (permatex I believe), due to it being somewhere between teflon and loctite in hardness.
thank you Matt, i will make sure to use sealent when im putting mine back together.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've always used the Black Permatex rtv to seal up the bolts as well. It has never givin me any issues. It can be a pain to clean out if you have to remove the bolts though. I use screw in studs, so it's never been an issue.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed

Jon
When I pulled mine from factory, most of the rocker bolts were drenched. I had oil in the intake ports and tb really bad. What is a good amount to use when I put it back together?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlownChevySS
Not trying to threadjack here, but when I pulled off my rockers, I had a few bolts drenched in oil as well as filthy ports on the heads and intake. When you say use a sealant, do you mean like permatex or loctite?
Permatex RTV silicone will work perfectly.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Teching In

question?? can they leak on stock heads or is it only on the ported? i havent had mine apart and didn know if the bolts would come down through stock of just ported..
Old 11-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Banned

^^^ yea i wasent sure bout that one either
Old 11-03-2009, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Found oil on mine when I pulled them from a completely stock block, same as BlownChevy apparently.. Interested in this as well.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

They're blind holes on stock heads. So oil shouldn't get past them. Most, if not all ported heads cut into the rocker bolt hole. So if not sealed, oil will get past the bolt.

I can see oil on the thread of a stock headed rocker bolt. But it can't leak into the intake runner unless the head is cracked.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Makes complete sense now.

Thanks WhiteRhino.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Banned

ok so i wouldent need the sealer on my stock untouched heads then?