Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet valvetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check and see if the push rods are hitting the pass through holes in the heads. All 3 of the LS engines that I have here were all hitting. Figured this out yesterday when I was checking my preload again. I could see rub marks on the push rods from all 3 engines. 2 of them are stock. It is not as easy to see when you have the shinny metal push rods. The ones I have now have a black coating so it was really easy to see.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssdeuce74
what grade oil you running puttin that extra pressure in the valve train with to thin oil may make more noise i may be wrong just a thought
Amsoil or penzoil synth. 5w30

I'll check the pushrods out too. If they are rubbing how do I go about fixing that? Seems like a width issue...
Old 11-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Launching!

i too had a noisy valve train. the important issue is understanding what preload gives the sweet spot for a quieter stock valvetrain.
i had too much preload and so i shortened the pr. and ended up with 3/4 turn as my preload. so for me 3/4 is the sweet spot, car has been quiet since then, 72kmi so far.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jetblast
i too had a noisy valve train. the important issue is understanding what preload gives the sweet spot for a quieter stock valvetrain.
i had too much preload and so i shortened the pr. and ended up with 3/4 turn as my preload. so for me 3/4 is the sweet spot, car has been quiet since then, 72kmi so far.
Hey guys see I'm not on crack. But somethings work for some cars and some don't for others but like I said when my tuner had the 7.4 pr in it was alot more noise and when he put the 7.35 pr in it quieted it down a whole lot. Before he change them you could hear the sewwing machine with the hood close from the other side of the car and you can't hear it now at all unless I'm riding next to a car or close to a wall or rail.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Alot of noise you hear is from the headers, they are a lot thinner compared to manifolds and they have a pretty distinct metal tinny noise. Pushrod length also can make a difference.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:27 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

There are so many things working against you for having a quiet valvetrain, but don't mistake a noisy valvetrain for a problem. All engines make noise, some have different harmonics that's all. Take an alluminum head, composite intake, thin walled headers, higher rate camshaft, higher spring pressure and guess what? You're going to hear the valves closing. It's just a fact of life with this motor combo.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
You're going to hear the valves closing. It's just a fact of life with this motor combo.
Find somewhere with a Spintron and youll see how true this statement is!

Quick Reply: Quiet valvetrain?