Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 gto m6 motor with tr230 cam LOST POWER ?? BAD CAM ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 3.5 inch intake tubing to maf and a big bbk air filter. The exhaust is dual 3 inch from collectors to single 3 inch to a muffler. No cats or anything. I will have to pull the front cover and make sure it lines up dot to dot. I know it was when I installed it. I read so many write up on people installing there cams and everything goes fine. I never had to degree a cam before. The gap on plugs I left stock out or box ngk tr55. The lifter preload I will have to setup one day to check it. I know that I need a dial indicator right ?
Old 11-18-2009, 02:57 AM
Teching In

A crude way to do it is to just count the number of turns from zero lash to 22 ft/lbs. Each full turn is about .046 inches of preload, give or take a couple thousandths. You can do it pretty quick, just pull off a valve cover and find a lifter that is on it's base circle. Loosen the bolt, then spin it back on until it is "finger tight" and count turns to 22 ft/lbs. You should probably do a rocker on both the intake and exhaust, just to be sure.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:01 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dumb question but are you going 100% throttle?
Old 11-18-2009, 06:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob
Dumb question but are you going 100% throttle?
Good question actually ....
But before going deeper, I would dyno on another dynojet first and compare that to the plathera of same combos available to get a clearer idea.
Compression seems good, heads were just fresh so seals should be good. Exhaust is Ok, but could benefit from cutout after Y merge.
291rwhp is very weak and doesn't make any sense. Another factor to consider are the springs 925?
Old 11-18-2009, 06:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would get a 2nd dyno, and also your GTO is a lot heavier then a 98' Fbody so that's a hard compare.

A mild cam'd GTO might feel like a bolt-on Fbody.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Numbers are worthless take it to the track thats were it really counts the dyno machine is for tuning purposes only.Thats what everyone told me when mine dynoed low also. Its hard to compare them like that unless you have another car right there with the same cam in it on the same dyno on the same day.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by daftdrifting
ok, just got back to the computer. I have stock gto lifters.. I know I know I should have just dropped a set of ls7 lifters or what not. the motor was low mileage so.. yeah. I got a cam kit from Thunder Racing. "Many people use this kit" They said. I didn't actually physically check my lifter preload. I using the 7.4 pushrods supplied to me.

Let me just clarify. I have driven on this cam/spring/pushrod setup for 1200 miles now. Car drives fine on freeway, cruises, I even hit some mountain roads. The car just feel like stock 98 motor I had. The check engine light hasn't come on yet after he tuned it..
I think the best advise and the one you don't want and any of would not want to do is taking this thing apart. While it is not the practical thing to do, something was over looked and badly. The cam you have with supporting mods can see close to 400 hp and 400+ torque. So before you drive yourself crazy just shooting in the dark, because that is what this seems to be right now a ghost chance, specially since there are no engine check lights or anything, take it apart and see what happened.

Oh by the way the stock lifters are fine. Correct set ups can spin stock lifters to 7K rpm no problems with hefty *** cams. I would not think about lifters until the 80K mark.

Good luck
Old 11-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrome355z
I would get a 2nd dyno, and also your GTO is a lot heavier then a 98' Fbody so that's a hard compare.

A mild cam'd GTO might feel like a bolt-on Fbody.
I don't think its in a GTO, just came out of a GTO.

As far as the other comment, I'll leave that one alone
Old 11-18-2009, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Ok first of all let me just clarify a few things. This engine is in my 89 nissan 240sx. My stock BONE STOCK with same exhaust, headers, intake tubing and filter had more trq! I mean i could pull out of my driveway blip the gas and get it sideways.

The guy who tuned it just tuned a gto on the dynapack and stock it put out more power and trq to the wheels then my setup. that's why we think something is wrong. I nkow everyone thinks dyno numbers are bull **** as well as I do. The car is just missing power i know for sure. I drove my old 98 motor for 4 years.. I know how 300 hp feels. What upsets me is I lost so much low end torque. I cant even drift the car anymore. I use to be able to initiate a drift in 3rd and just feather the throttle from closed to like 35 percent and milk the tires. I have to basically full throttle it and the car feels like crap now.

I did check to make sure the throttle is opening 100 percent when i press the pedal as well. I would hate to take the engine apart like everyone is saying but seriously I didn't just buy a gto motor for 3500 with t56 and drop another 1500 on top for cam, springs, pushrods, gaskets, seals, all bolts, 400 on a tune to have something not be right.

The car comes equipped with 4:08 gears stock. I haven't done a leak down yet but I basically pretty confident that the engine is in good condition. What could be causing a insane power loss.. Btw I just finished swapping a 04 gto with t56 into a s14 .. little heavier car. The engine is stock besides my header and exhaust setup. I will see how that car feels compared to mine..
Old 11-18-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey - that's the same exact cam that I just put into my car. Pretty much similar setup (there's a thread on here I started with all my info) to me. And I made 411/417.

Something is definitely wrong. If I were you, I'd be on the phone with Thunder right now - 866-516-7223. Ask them for advice.

Call up your tuner and ask him for all the info from your runs. What were the injectors doing? (mine hit 101% duty cycle at 5500rpm - yours may be craped out) What's the AFR you ran? And all the other stuff. That way you can have all that info when you call.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

I just talked to john at thunder racing. The tech department is always going to message machine so I just go to sales Anyways he seems to believe that my cam is 1 tooth off. He said it would still run good but be about 12 degrees on on the centerline of the cam. The tr230 is really sensitive. He had a guy install the 224 and have same problems.

btw the number is 877 516-7223 I found out by calling the one you listed I really don't want to pull the cover and all that crap off but what the hell!
Old 11-18-2009, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried a new set of plugs? Maybe one of yours is cracked and arcing out under load. Plugs are cheap enough and even if it doesn't help you can use them later. How much fuel pressure do you have?

It would be a good idea to pull the crank sensor and check it for damage. The 5.3 in my Chevy truck was down on power since installed. It ended up spinning a rod bearing and while pulling the sensors to swap to the new engine I found a crack in the crank sensor. Never had any codes, but I would place a pretty large bet that this was my power loss.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

The spark plugs look brand new . After 1200 miles they looked like they have never been used running great just no power. This is why I think the cam timing is off. It runs like a good running engine. Just lacking power. It not missing, shaking, or anything that would trigger me to think its sensor related you know. I know it does not have a spun bearing.I have super insane good oil pressure.

Btw thanks to everyone who is replying.. I cant thank you all enough .. hopfully this leads me to a fix. I have a lot of work to do right now on some cars I have here. I really would love to check my cam timing but I have a feeling that wont be till late tonight or tomorrow some time.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

whast up bro..Its nick the guy with the black ws6 with kyle who referred you to rick@synergy..I heard about the numbers and stuff if you need any help ripping that apart let me know ok..Sorry to hear the bad news also.Im doing similar cam swap on my car soon.......Also here is my number call me if u need help or what not ok 209 765 7848 nick Best of luck to the fix also
Old 11-18-2009, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

oh nice. well yeah no problem I just hope that's whats wrong with it. While I'm in there I will change my timing chain to a ls2 one, change my rod bolts with my katech bolts, and do the oil pump o ring/girdle setup they sell. I will hit you up when I tear it down.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a copy of that cam, I only made 325rwhp/340rwtq on a dynojet cutouts open. Same day I watched mild bolt on ls1 fbodies and GTOs put down the same or better. I since added a FAST intake, but I still have been running 8.3-8.6 1/8th mile times at 83-86mph. Car weighs 3800 with me and a full tank just like a lot of stock fbodies. I race with 1/4 tank and remove tools so race weight is going to be a bit less.

It runs great otherwise. No codes. 190-210 compression in all cylinders. No misses. Idle cams hard.

Please PM me if you find out what's wrong and I will do the same.

I have not pulled the cover and did not degree the cam, but I did install dot to dot and it looked perfect.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was nothing noticeably bad as far as driveability or roughness on my truck either, just a lack of power. It's alot easier to pull the cam sensor than the timing cover. It would maybe take 30 minutes to swap it out. I have seen plugs that look great, but have hindered performance. Both of these are easy low cost things to try.

You also have still not mentioned your fuel pressure. Have you checked it?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

i'm a buddy of nicks and he was tellin me about this today and i was goin to go with this cam but instead went with the 227/224 anyway when you call nick up to help tell him to hit me up also, i'd like to help and also hear this cam cause if it sounds as good as i think i'm sending my 227/224 for the 230/224 . . . for the second time lol btw have you upgraded your injectors yet? better to have more than enough fuel than not enough
Old 11-19-2009, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by King Nothing
i'm a buddy of nicks and he was tellin me about this today and i was goin to go with this cam but instead went with the 227/224 anyway when you call nick up to help tell him to hit me up also, i'd like to help and also hear this cam cause if it sounds as good as i think i'm sending my 227/224 for the 230/224 . . . for the second time lol btw have you upgraded your injectors yet? better to have more than enough fuel than not enough
slow *** turd camaro lol what up jp !!! lol yeah bro hit us up anytime im downt o come help and put in some wrench time ......
Old 11-20-2009, 12:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 209ryder
slow *** turd camaro lol what up jp !!! lol yeah bro hit us up anytime im downt o come help and put in some wrench time ......
at least my car runs lol

Quick Reply: 04 gto m6 motor with tr230 cam LOST POWER ?? BAD CAM ?