Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper way to use Top End Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 09:41 AM
Stu
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Proper way to use Top End Cleaner?

I got the liquid stuff for free from a guy I know that works at a GM dealer. It lists the directions for a carbed engine on the back tho. Is there a different one for FI cars or do you just pour it into the TB.

Stu
Old 12-13-2003, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

pour it thru the top of the throttle body, unplug the hose and if you dont know, make sure you get an oil change afterwards soon
Old 12-13-2003, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stu
I got the liquid stuff for free from a guy I know that works at a GM dealer. It lists the directions for a carbed engine on the back tho. Is there a different one for FI cars or do you just pour it into the TB.
Stu
Um... why don't you ask GM dealer for exact instructions and applications of what you have. BTW, those top end cleaners are <$5/bottle, so you might at least think about saving elsewhere and not putting any free stuff you get into your engine

Internet advises may result in your engine being damaged, etc. Look at the previous advice - how would you pour the cleaner through the top of your TB?? If you followed this advise than you would either pour the bottle of this stuff into your intake and THEN turn on the engine OR would have to disconnect the MAF on a working engine. Either one would hardly be a great idea. The proper procedure, as far as I remember, is to turn on the car, pour the cleaner through the MAF [don't touch the wires], shut the car down immediately, let it sit for at least 15min, then drive it around to let the build up out, then change the oil. But I would still verify with the parts department at your dealership.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:37 AM
Stu
TECH Resident

Wow, you dont read well do ya? I got it from a GM dealer. Why tell me not to listen to internet advice and then give me some. If you dont have anything helpful to say dont say anything.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

There is a write-up on the corvette forum under the tech tips section. It states to pour the stuff into the intake manifold via the PVC line connected to the intake using a funnel. Would not want to pour this into my MAF and get it all over the wires. Probably have to buy a new MAF when your done.

Good luck.

-Tom
Old 12-13-2003, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

WHen I cleaned mine ,I used a straw off a wd40 can and put tape around the straw to where it fit snug into the pcv hose. Stick the straw down into the can of cleaner and let the vacuam of the engine pull it in to the intake. If you put to much in to fast , you can hydrolock your engine.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

With my million mile 99 Tahoe, we sucked it in thru a hose off the back that usually goes to the brakes.

Sipped it slow the motor was almost gonna die out, when it died, I let it sit for 15 minutes. Had to give it a little gas, and then it idled poorly and needed help for the first minute. Smoked like crazy for 10 minutes. Then it was fine. May also want to use Techron injector cleaner if you have trying to clean out a motor.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

We did the injector cleaner after we let it sit for a while with the top engine cleaner(bg products 44k). I pulled the plugs and put tr6 in and the ones I pulled out were clean looking .
Old 12-13-2003, 02:02 PM
Stu
TECH Resident

Thanks guys.

Stu