Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flooded Car doesn't run the best what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flooded Car doesn't run the best what could it be?

Well recently I drove through some water and the motor died and the car got totalled out because of water damage. I didn't try to restart the car and did the usual when you run into water. I pulled the plugs, cranked it over by hand, changed plugs, changed the oil about 3 times to get all of the water out of the oil.
Now that I've done all that the car seems to sound fine and idles well with no knocking or ticking that I can notice. But sometimes it seems to run ok but way too rich. The car sometimes starts bucking and stuttering and seems like it's almost running on 7 cyclinders for a second then it clears up. But it will start missing down low and vibrating the shifter so bad that it hurts your hand. Normally when I go full throttle it clears up and seems to run decently. But every once in awhile I'll go WOT and it will start popping a bit. I'm not sure what I need to do? I scanned it and the only thing it said was o2 sensors that I haven't changed yet but am about to. Could it be that? I figured I would change the o2 sensors, fuel filter, and spray some MAF cleaner in it and possibly seafoam it and see if it clears it up? Any other ideas?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

MAF would be towards the top of my list
Old 12-06-2009, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Think the MAF could have gone bad? There was some water sucked up through the intake and sitting in the TB when I opened it. But the intake manfold really didn't appear to have any in it.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by boostedrs
Think the MAF could have gone bad? There was some water sucked up through the intake and sitting in the TB when I opened it. But the intake manfold really didn't appear to have any in it.
Probably the maf, yes. Try to get all the water out of the intake you don't want to hydrolock the motor
Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Teching In

I would do a compression check based on what you said. you shouldve cranked the motor with the spark plugs out. You may have a bent rod, your car will still run, but it would run like crap.

good luck with it, it sucks
Old 12-06-2009, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by aixgelo78
I would do a compression check based on what you said. you shouldve cranked the motor with the spark plugs out. You may have a bent rod, your car will still run, but it would run like crap.

good luck with it, it sucks

I did crank the motor over without the spark plugs. I think I said that in my first post. But yah it seems to run good sometimes and others not. So i know it's not a bent rod.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by boostedrs
I did crank the motor over without the spark plugs. I think I said that in my first post. But yah it seems to run good sometimes and others not. So i know it's not a bent rod.
Im sorry, I meant you should've cranked the motor with the starter with the spark plugs out.

I hope you find your issue
Old 12-06-2009, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

Mine did that...but i had made my own extensions on my 02 sensors...turns out the water ruined my 02s and it would act weird anytime they got wet.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GT Griller
Mine did that...but i had made my own extensions on my 02 sensors...turns out the water ruined my 02s and it would act weird anytime they got wet.

mine as well, i bought the extentions w the water proof plugs too. it did it for like 45 minutes, everytime id go thru the car wash w the undercarrage wash
Old 12-07-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

It's probably the 02 sensors. I drove through some water but it hydrolocked the motor. I had probably a gallon of water in my intake and probably another half of a gallon in the cylinders.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Demonhawk01
mine as well, i bought the extentions w the water proof plugs too. it did it for like 45 minutes, everytime id go thru the car wash w the undercarrage wash
Yup..my home made extensions worked fine for 5 yrs then they finally started going bad so i swapped to some extensions from Scoggin dickey and havent had that issue since.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean the MAF, check the MAF fuse, and check the connections for the O2s. Are you getting any codes?
Old 12-08-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

could be maf or o2 sensors. not sure never flooded a car before. or even stalled one out.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change out the MAF and the 02 Sensors, if they got even alittle wet they are either bad or on their way out. If you had water in your throttle body your MAF is definitly toast. You already did everything else. You said that sometimes it runs fine so that being said your internals should be fine. Just helped a few friends after we had a flood here a few months ago and their cars are running fine now.