Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does Cam only keep you guys happy

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
I said most Camed LS cars lol But If I do..Illl kick my 4 turbos and 500 shot in..Id like to run Jared again if I wouldnt get so happy on the throttle in first and second!..or just get some dang slicks
buy some slicks and suspension and we can go again. i really wanna see your car lined out and hooking. I also wish warm weather would get here so i can get tuned and spray my heap and watch my rearend hold it...............i hope.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive had 413whp cam only car and dont even have a fast intake. Its good! you wont find much on every day trems that will our run ya. If ya drive it everyday like i do. I have 40k miles on my cam install. I plan on doing a 370ci 88mm turbo setup next
Old 12-27-2009, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSmoken
buy some slicks and suspension and we can go again. i really wanna see your car lined out and hooking. I also wish warm weather would get here so i can get tuned and spray my heap and watch my rearend hold it...............i hope.
Get a rear end and be done lol..My parents got my some stuff for x mas that I cant use on the car(good speakers) so were sending it back to get some QA1s..and I dont need a bad *** sound system..
Old 12-27-2009, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

Get a rear end and be done lol..My parents got my some stuff for x mas that I cant use on the car(good speakers) so were sending it back to get some QA1s..and I dont need a bad *** sound system..
i cannot afford a rear end lol. good thinking. thats race weight.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

ur as bad as me..Get a Fabed 9in..they arent much more heavy than the stock 10bolt..I know just the regular Moser 9in is FAWKIN Heavy as hell..had one in the red car..
Old 12-27-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

It made me happy for a little while in my last car, but I don't like cam'd cars. I've driven several of them and just can't get over the little ****. Low speed surging, upon letting off the gas and the rpms draw back down to idle it surges a little, unburnt fuel smell. Noise and vibrations.. God I sound old.

I like how my car is setup now.. I hope I just keep making the car run better with what it has, with the gear in it now and a drag wheel setup I think mid-low 11s are possible on a full weight ls6 fbody na, and on bottle probably not much better, maybe high 10s, but I'm not ready to grenade the rear end yet.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VincesSS
It made me happy for a little while in my last car, but I don't like cam'd cars. I've driven several of them and just can't get over the little ****. Low speed surging, upon letting off the gas and the rpms draw back down to idle it surges a little, unburnt fuel smell. Noise and vibrations.. God I sound old.

I like how my car is setup now.. I hope I just keep making the car run better with what it has, with the gear in it now and a drag wheel setup I think mid-low 11s are possible on a full weight ls6 fbody na, and on bottle probably not much better, maybe high 10s, but I'm not ready to grenade the rear end yet.
LOL its all in your tune! My cam is 231/237 598/598 and drives like stock and get better mpg on hwy. Start up straight to idle no surge, I can let of the clutch with no gas and let it almost stall and push in the clutch and instantly back i 950rmps, no vibrations, the fuel is due to what exhaust and maybe being to rich.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

The surging and "rich" smell..can be tuned out..Mine with the MS4 cam..pretty big and everyone says they surge really bad..ITs all in the tune..Mine has very very very very little surging..its very drivable..I can let it run inside my garage and it doesnt really stink up the garage..all in a good tune and tuner...
Old 12-27-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

The surging and "rich" smell..can be tuned out..Mine with the MS4 cam..pretty big and everyone says they surge really bad..ITs all in the tune..Mine has very very very very little surging..its very drivable..I can let it run inside my garage and it doesnt really stink up the garage..all in a good tune and tuner...
Yea I had a definate reknowned tuner do my work and he does an incredible job. It was not in the tune, it's the nature of the beast. The very very very very little surging you're talking about is what annoys the **** out of me. The "rich" smell is due to the overlap and you're exhaust is not going to take that away, unless you have cats.

I don't want to get too off topic, that's just my opinion. I am definately in the minority on my opinion and I understand that, but it's not all rainbows and butterflies with a camshaft!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Got my cam in 2005, and went back for heads and a bunch of other stuff in 2006. Upgrades every year LOL !! Currently running a stroker, so you can tell h/c full boltons with stock cubes didn't last long either. Very addictive. I'm happy as hell with my setup but I'm actually in the planning process for either FI, or Spray. I'm telling you its never enough...
Old 12-27-2009, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not I have Jl audio and McIntosh in my ride when I am not in race trim...

also my shortened spooled 12 bolt is lighter than my 10 bolt
Old 12-27-2009, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

My parents got my a matching diamond componets..I told them that it wasnt going to sound right unless I changed amp and head unit (had 2 blown 6in subs) and I was right..sounds worse..No sound..just very very small amounts of base...but anyway!!!!!!

New Rearend and Suspension is on my list..lighten the car up some and see if Im happy...then Ill do heads and or stroker!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the replies, I am going to go with just a cam for now, its fits my budget right now.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
Thanks for all the replies, I am going to go with just a cam for now, its fits my budget right now.

Well let me ask you to think ahead to the set of heads you are leaning towards and get a cam that is optimized towards them.

When I went from my g6x3 cam / afr 205 combo which was far from optimized due to the specs of the cam and flow characteristics of the heads, to my current setup Vengeance Racing Custom Cam 239/243 .623/.623 113+3 / TFS 215 it was like night and day. The specs of my cam were chosen because they are setup around the flow characteristics of my heads and had power, driveability, and reliability in mind. (I was told the TFS heads begin to lop off air flow at or around .625 lift, so whats the point of running a big lift cam beyond the flow capabilities of the head?) The combination is well thought out to say the least. Makes huge power, but idles and drives like stock until you smash the gas and then you see mild mannered David Banner turn into the Incredible Hulk. LOL, excuse the example but I couldn't help it.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am really not sure what heads, but there is a guy that has the streetsweeper cam with ETP heads and make 515 rwhp. So probably along those lines.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Well let me ask you to think ahead to the set of heads you are leaning towards and get a cam that is optimized towards them.

When I went from my g6x3 cam / afr 205 combo which was far from optimized due to the specs of the cam and flow characteristics of the heads, to my current setup Vengeance Racing Custom Cam 239/243 .623/.623 113+3 / TFS 215 it was like night and day. The specs of my cam were chosen because they are setup around the flow characteristics of my heads and had power, driveability, and reliability in mind. (I was told the TFS heads begin to lop off air flow at or around .625 lift, so whats the point of running a big lift cam beyond the flow capabilities of the head?) The combination is well thought out to say the least. Makes huge power, but idles and drives like stock until you smash the gas and then you see mild mannered David Banner turn into the Incredible Hulk. LOL, excuse the example but I couldn't help it.
Almost the same cam i am getting but on a 111+4...lsl lobes right? what lifters are you running
Old 01-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Answering the OP question:

You'll like at first, but like always you'll want more power. I would actually want less HP/TQ until I can hook the power. Not an F-Body, but you'll understand:

Old 01-05-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

im cam only, 3200 stall, all bolt ons, 3.73.. my cam is a the old MTI X1 230/227. this car drives very good. has good enuff of lope and not too overhwhelming or unbearable to drive. ive tossed around the idea of maybe adding some heads and/or possibly going with a bigger stall and cam because the car drives that much close to stock.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

you wont be happy very long trust me. the problem with modding your car is your never done. I did all mine at once 231/237 speed inc cam/ headers/ exhaust/ injectors / 3200 stall and vortech supercharger and i already did 3.42 rear end before that. Less than a month later I got rid of the 42 pound injectors/ put a diff fuel pump in and went to a smaller pulley. I reach my goal of hp/tq i wanted and the time I wanted to run and yet im still not done. First I wanted a 12 or better then got an 11.7 then wanted a 11.5 or better reached that and now want a 10.9 or better. Fact is when the modding bug bites it bites very hard for some.If I was going to go cam only I would prolly go with the polluter cam.

Quick Reply: How long does Cam only keep you guys happy