Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So its time, what cam for 215 TFS heads...track car

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
The intake flowign with all 8 cyl's will probably have an effect... but I'd bolt the intake on the head and then flow a couple cyl's, they'll be close, but the main thing you will see, is that the intake will only flow X amount, meaning the head can only flow x amount. Going way past the max flow point of the intake and head is only beating on the valvetrain... people go past that point so that they can have 2 times that the valve is at that lift, I think it would be better to slam it to that point asap and hang it there for as long as you can.

exhaust would be easy enough... jsut put a pipe with the immediate bend and a couple other small bends in it the average length of your header and see what that does to the exhaust flow.

fwiw, look at the cam limitations of a super stock car, and look at what those guys run for a camshaft.. what I'm talking about would be similar.

I've seen the lift that some of the cams have on them... that dosn't mean it's right though. The new aggressive lobes, that's fine, get the valve up and lifted quickly, but don't go so far with the lift past where optimal flow is, I'd stop when it peaks and hold it there, I think the results would be better.

fwiw, a ported 90mm intake flows about 285, I'm sure the 92 is probably close to the 300 mark. But that being said.. if the intake will only flow 285, then going past that point, is just pushing the valve farther then you have to, the gains aren't going to be there. Just get the valve there, and hold it there.

Overlap and the duration, along with the amount of time you can get the valve open at max flow will get you farther then pushing the valves to a poitn of flow on a head that is past what the intake can do.

Give it a try, you can always put a cam in that everyone and their brother runs and go the same speed they are, but if you want to try to go faster, then you're going to have to do something different.

i agree, that is definitely the way to go, but arent we limited to the different lobe profiles/cam slope rates...how can i find a lobe that gets to say .600 lift and stay there...if i lengthen the duration wont that lessen the slope rate of the cam, or does it just flatten the top of the cam profile more and the slope rate is the same to that lift rate...
Old 12-29-2009, 03:48 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
i agree, that is definitely the way to go, but arent we limited to the different lobe profiles/cam slope rates...how can i find a lobe that gets to say .600 lift and stay there...if i lengthen the duration wont that lessen the slope rate of the cam, or does it just flatten the top of the cam profile more and the slope rate is the same to that lift rate...
Yes, you are correct chris. Whatever the Lobe master is, thats what it is. So if you have a 232/.353 lobe thats what you get, unless they have the same master but with less lobe lift. Stock eliminator guys are limited by rules and parts regulations, so that's why some run a ton of duration but with little lift also.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You're only limited to the lobe you're willing to pay for. Comp isn't the only company that makes cam cores... and if you 're willing to spend a couple extra bucks you can get anything you want.

Essentially, flattening the top of the lobe off is one way to do it. But, if you start digging a little and are willing to spend an extra 100 bucks, you can get anything you want. Try calling around to some cam companies, isky, cam motion, comp, lunati... and run what I said by them, see what they say. You can do anything you want, just might take a little while to make since it may not be off the shelf.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:26 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

You're only limited to the lobe you're willing to pay for. Comp isn't the only company that makes cam cores... and if you 're willing to spend a couple extra bucks you can get anything you want.

Essentially, flattening the top of the lobe off is one way to do it. But, if you start digging a little and are willing to spend an extra 100 bucks, you can get anything you want. Try calling around to some cam companies, isky, cam motion, comp, lunati... and run what I said by them, see what they say. You can do anything you want, just might take a little while to make since it may not be off the shelf.
Doesn't Racecraft Inc. have those rails for your hood that you are looking for JL?
Old 12-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Race your car!

They have camaro ones, but they won't work for a transam unfortunately, I checked into that. Unless tehy came out with them and I didn't realize it, last time I checked they weren't available.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:56 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

They have camaro ones, but they won't work for a transam unfortunately, I checked into that. Unless tehy came out with them and I didn't realize it, last time I checked they weren't available.
Darn, thought they had t/a stuff out by now.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:15 AM
Race your car!

You and me both.

Quick Reply: So its time, what cam for 215 TFS heads...track car