Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major o2 problem...look at this pic and HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major o2 problem...look at this pic and HELP

Having trouble with my car running bad and no one seems to help so I go pull the o2's to clean them like somebody suggested and I think this is the only o2 that's not throwing a code...crazy huh...anyway what does this mean??

Please read my other thread about all my codes and problems and give me some help.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...ding-help.html

HELP HELP HELP ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 12-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Launching!

perhaps you were waay lean, and melted the end of the o2 sensor?
Old 12-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is clearly mechanical damage. Someone dropped the O2 sensor or there is something that is mechanically bending it inside its cavity. PO 430 is cat efficiency bank 2 Check all voltaces on your O2 leads and check O2 voltages with a Tech 2.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

Thats looks like it either 1. was melted by heat, or 2. someone hit it and bent it while installing it
Old 12-27-2009, 07:52 PM
...with cheese.

I vote lean melt.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

wow.way lean and melt it.after you cleaned the other 2 and still does the same throwing those codes replace it.check out rock auto parts.com for some densos o2s part#344 234-4025 cheapest Ive found around.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah...I'm thinking melt because there doesn't seem to be any appearance of a blunt impact and you would have to mean to bend something like that...not an accidental drop...but to run lean boggles me because the car always smells like it's running rich... you know...real gassy...but now it just seems to miss terribly or the timing is way off...and blows black smoke fairly heavily

Would someone tell me...as in a definite yes or no if a bad o2 will cause the car to run like that?
Old 12-28-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

if no one chimes in hit search for bad o2s.will have answers there.if I was you I would replace o2s start from there.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh my I've never seen an o2 look like that. Good luck buddy
Old 12-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Join the club...I'm gonna have to go back to old vw's where there aren't any of these damn things
Old 12-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

So I show that sensor to my mechanic and he says I've run rich enough to dump gas in the cat and make it superheat to burn the extra fuel...which was kinda what I was thinking...he also said the o2's are probably still good...more likely I have a bad plug or wire...and now that I think about it..If it's been running rich I could have a fouled plug...I'm just hoping I can find it...plugs are such a bitch on these things
Old 12-29-2009, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Think about how hot the combustion chambers would be if the exhaust gas temperature were hot enough to melt an oxygen sensor three feet downstream. Id venture to say its completely impossible, because you would burn a hole in whatever piston you were running before you created enough heat to melt an oxygen sensor.

Honestly, that damage looks like the sensor was dropped at some point. Maybe the car was up on a lift, and they dropped the sensor when installing it. A fall from six feet could cause damage like that. I suppose its possible the sensor could still function properly, but Im not expert.

Do you have longtubes? With or without cats? Has the car ever been tuned?

Need to see if the catalytic over-temp protection has been messed with.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BillyBob750
Think about how hot the combustion chambers would be if the exhaust gas temperature were hot enough to melt an oxygen sensor three feet downstream. Id venture to say its completely impossible, because you would burn a hole in whatever piston you were running before you created enough heat to melt an oxygen sensor.

Honestly, that damage looks like the sensor was dropped at some point. Maybe the car was up on a lift, and they dropped the sensor when installing it. A fall from six feet could cause damage like that. I suppose its possible the sensor could still function properly, but Im not expert.

Do you have longtubes? With or without cats? Has the car ever been tuned?

Need to see if the catalytic over-temp protection has been messed with.
+++++ does anyone realize what temperature it takes to melt an O2. I have run turbo engines on the DYNE with RED HOT headers. You can almost SEE through them and the O2 sensors stand up just FINE. Get the TECH 2 out and see whats going on. What the heck is a superheat CAT. That term is for AC systems. Most likely that O2 was mechanically damaged. You did say the engine is MISSING. Well an O2 will not cause THAT. Time to dig in and find out what is going ON. Time to get out the diagnostic TOOLS and DIG IN. NOTE if you are blowing black smoke the exhaust temps pre cat will be low. Now if its lean it is another STORY. Nead some O2 readings and LT ST readings. There is no guessing with an OBD2 car. Once again if the engine is missing the computer shouls store a missfire code of some sort.(po 300-po 308 ETC TOM

Last edited by tom falco; 12-29-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

just my .02 but i think if its from heat you wouldnt have been able to get that outbecause it would have welded it to the bung...it seems damaged to me

Quick Reply: Major o2 problem...look at this pic and HELP