Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCATcrank vs. Compstar crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCATcrank vs. Compstar crank

i know a lot of people run compstar cranks andknow they are good but was thinking of a scat for my next build... just wanted to hear some opinions on the two
Old 12-27-2009, 07:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew(02ss)
i know a lot of people run compstar cranks andknow they are good but was thinking of a scat for my next build... just wanted to hear some opinions on the two
is there a particular reason you were considering the scat?
Old 12-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Teching In

found a really good deal on one brand new in box
Old 12-27-2009, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

They are a good Crank, my scat is Gun drilled for a little less weight, IMHO you can't go wrong either way and honestly it would be hard to prove which is better or could handle more power, I bet if you lined up all the "Cheap" forged LS Cranks they would look real similar
Old 12-27-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have any feedback on the Scat, but I have a brand new in the box custom compstar here. I'm a manufacturing engineer, so I get very upset when things aren't machine properly, or when surface finishes aren't correct, or when dimensions aren't right...and I am nothing short of very impressed with the quality of the machining work that went into MY crank. I can't say that speaks for any more than the 1 sitting here waiting for the rest of my build...but thats the experience with mine...the machinework is excellent, the dimensions are spot on with the most accurate measuring tools I can find, the surface finishes measure out to numbers that are very pleasing to me, and the forging certainly looks to be a quality forging to me.

I don't have anything bad to say about Scat cranks, I just have no experience with them at all, so I have nothing to say about them.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DSRE
They are a good Crank, my scat is Gun drilled for a little less weight, IMHO you can't go wrong either way and honestly it would be hard to prove which is better or could handle more power, I bet if you lined up all the "Cheap" forged LS Cranks they would look real similar
they may all "look" similar,but they are anything but the same.Machining tolerances and metallurgy are anything but the same.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:31 PM
FormerVendor

found a really good deal on one brand new in box
what are your goals with your next build?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
they may all "look" similar,but they are anything but the same.Machining tolerances and metallurgy are anything but the same.
I agree 100%, so far the machining,surface finish,contoured counterweights,la maching, journal runout, ballancing, stroke index all are well within spec so I am happy with the scat so far fwiw, BTW ive also had great luck with the compstar cranks and rods fwiw
Old 12-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We've used the Scat in a few builds and HKE was very impressed by it. Availability was a different story but we have a few 408's out there with it in them. It was not as expensive as the Compstar and the quality was pretty good.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
We've used the Scat in a few builds and HKE was very impressed by it. Availability was a different story but we have a few 408's out there with it in them. It was not as expensive as the Compstar and the quality was pretty good.
Eric sold me one of the first SCAT forged 4.0" cranks he got in. He was quite impressed with the piece, as it was almost perfectly balanced right out of the box. I put in my 383 build and I've had no problem at all.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Teching In

already went ahead and got a brandnew compstar since that was wut i originally wanted.... thanks for the feedback guys
Old 01-01-2010, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Good call.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

already went ahead and got a brandnew compstar since that was wut i originally wanted.... thanks for the feedback guys
So, just curious, how much did that cost you?
Old 01-03-2010, 04:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used both and have no issues with either. The SCATs did at first use a regular small block chevy flywheel bolt which caused some issues but I think their new stuff is now done with the OEM threads. As always the Callies stuff we use is excellent as well and it depends on what we are doing as to what particular cranks we use. Callies has an absolutely awesome selection of sizes though and more than anyone else out there at this point.

Quick Reply: SCATcrank vs. Compstar crank