Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gm fails again.......lifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just pulled it out........bearing in the roller took a ****. flat spotted it, smashed the roller, and pitted the cam. happy new year :-)
Old 01-01-2010, 11:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so are you going to have to pull the cam too...looks like I might have to get some morels...what cam size and lobes are you running...also what rockers...
Old 01-02-2010, 12:57 AM
9 Second Club

ya looks like the cam is going to have to come out. i have harland sharp rockers. its a comp lsl 247/ 254.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:16 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it look like this
Attached Thumbnails gm fails again.......lifter-img_0866-1-.jpg  
Old 01-02-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Damn man, sorry to hear....2010 is off to a great start for you.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by B Layton
Does it look like this
hey your not supposed to run 15 hydraulic lifter and one solid...

seriously though i want to avoid this and that is why i am going to be getting some morels...pay now or pay later i guess...
Old 01-02-2010, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

I think all of these failures need to be tracked against the valvetrain setup.

Exactly what lobes are being used, XE, XER, LSL, LSK etc? That or post the duration at .006 and .050 so the rate can be calculated. Perhaps the aggresive lobes are side loading the roller and that in turn damages the bearings.

What springs?

Lifter preload?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

ok this is not good to hear am i wrong in thinking this is the same lifter used in all the LSX engine from GM???? why would one not fail in a 505 hp LS7 engine and it would fail in people's engines they build? poor installation maybe? i'm not sayin the OP fucked up on installin this set and the caddy set but if 2 sets of lifters go out on you i'd be thinking about having some help installing the next ones. btw did it happen on the same lifter or was a different one in the engine?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
I think all of these failures need to be tracked against the valvetrain setup.

Exactly what lobes are being used, XE, XER, LSL, LSK etc? That or post the duration at .006 and .050 so the rate can be calculated. Perhaps the aggresive lobes are side loading the roller and that in turn damages the bearings.

What springs?

Lifter preload?
i was thinking the same thing..
Old 01-02-2010, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Especially since there are Millions of these in millions of vehicles. Every GM truck, for example, since 1999 uses the same lifter or its replacement. The cars are a blip on the radar for actual volume of vehicles with LS based engines. Actually the Buick 3800 also used the same lifter, that volume huge.

When we see failures on here we get concerned but in the big picture the failure rate is very low. It is hard to compare the Morels or Comp failures since there is no real data to say how many have been sold, how many miles or hours used and they certainly won't give out their warranty data.

With all of that said, if you are building a purpose built engine for racing, don't put in the production lifters. The Caddy ones are not meant for daily driving, they have lighter weight components and are for racing. The stock "LS7" is a great lifter when used in most all LSx based applications except the most extreme situations.

I would be willing to help compile data if people post everything needed, getting the exact cam specs will be the hardest since people either don't know all of the data or they want it to be a secret.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by King Nothing
ok this is not good to hear am i wrong in thinking this is the same lifter used in all the LSX engine from GM???? why would one not fail in a 505 hp LS7 engine and it would fail in people's engines they build? poor installation maybe? i'm not sayin the OP fucked up on installin this set and the caddy set but if 2 sets of lifters go out on you i'd be thinking about having some help installing the next ones. btw did it happen on the same lifter or was a different one in the engine?
This is what I had started thinking about in after a post I made earlier. Is anyone having failures with "stock" factory LS7 builds, meaning no engine mods? Or are the failures due to stock parts being used with aftermarket parts? Are the LS7 lifters ONLY to be used with the factory spec cam and lobes or does the hydraulic lifter preload make a difference with the more agressive lobes, causing lifter failure? Oiling maybe?
Old 01-02-2010, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

It has little to do with HP - it has more to do with the valve train.

The LS7 has a small cam with very tame lobes and light valve springs.

The OP's car has a big cam with aggressive lobes and heavy valve springs which makes for a more extreme environment for the lifter.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nocooler

The OP's car has a big cam with aggressive lobes and heavy valve springs which makes for a more extreme environment for the lifter.
well then caddy lifters and these LS7 lifters should have never been boughten in the first place if GM wouldn't use a donkey dick cam in their application why would someone spend hella money on the whole application except the lifters???
Old 01-02-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
just pulled it out........bearing in the roller took a ****. flat spotted it, smashed the roller, and pitted the cam. happy new year :-)
I've had that happen before too, sorry about your luck man.

When it happened to me, it was in an LT1, and it destroyed the oil pump too...so it might be worth taking your pump apart and checking it out...if it's ok, the bottom end is probaly ok...if it's hurt...you might want to invest in new bearings before you fire it back up with a new cam/lifters and lose the rest of the engine like I did (I was younger and didn't know better).

Last edited by Mike454SS; 01-02-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got 8 sets in stock ready to go !
Old 01-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Teching In

As I posted prior I had an LS7 fail at 1700 miles. L92 Cylinder Heads, 7.4" Chromemoly Pushrods, L92 Rocker Arms, Pedestals & Bolts, PRC
Gold Double Valvesprings /w Titanium Retainers locks/seals/bases, Comp Cams XE-R lobed grind - 237/242 duration @ .050, .603/.609 lift, 112 LSA.

This happens for a reason is it oiling problems, cam or bad install? does anyone have any thoughts.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
What springs?

Lifter preload?
patriot extremes on both motors. .080 on the caddys i had and .065 on these. per katechs recomendation.

it has more to do with the construction of the peices then anything i would bet. im not a professional engine builder but i do know what im doing. different engine entirely.

Originally Posted by nocooler

+1

well then caddy lifters and these LS7 lifters should have never been boughten in the first place if GM wouldn't use a donkey dick cam in their application why would someone spend hella money on the whole application except the lifters???
at the time i built this motor it was widely regarded as the lifter to use. and 98% of the motors on this site prob have them in there. and gm doesnt use a donket dick cam for reasons such as emissions and driveability etc. it has nothing to do with the lifters they use.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
it has more to do with the construction of the peices then anything i would bet. im not a professional engine builder but i do know what im doing. different engine entirely. at the time i built this motor it was widely regarded as the lifter to use. and 98% of the motors on this site prob have them in there. and gm doesnt use a donkey dick cam for reasons such as emissions and driveability etc. it has nothing to do with the lifters they use.
so was it the same lifter from each lifter failure? are you gonna upgrade to those lifters that were mentioned?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:51 PM
9 Second Club

so was it the same lifter from each lifter failure? are you gonna upgrade to those lifters that were mentioned?
no. i am still doing my homework on the lifters as i dont intend to tear the motor down again to swap lifters. leaning towards morels right now.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am still trying to figure out how you guys think he could have installed the lifter improperly... I clean mine blow them out, Oil the needle bearings and then soak them the night before install. You put the lifter in the lifter box and then slide them in the bores, IF the guy is capable of doing his head and cam swap, they I highly doubt he screwed up the install of the lifters...
Sorry about your bad luck bro. Hope you have better luck when you put it back together.

Quick Reply: gm fails again.......lifter