Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrist pin will not fit into Eagle rod? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrist pin will not fit into Eagle rod? Help!

I just got my Wiseco pistons and Eagle rods. I am starting to build the motor and found that the wrist pin will not slide into the rod. It is a bushed rod and the wrist pin is stock diameter. Is this a common problem? Is there a fix?
Old 12-19-2003, 11:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by StupidFast
I just got my Wiseco pistons and Eagle rods. I am starting to build the motor and found that the wrist pin will not slide into the rod. It is a bushed rod and the wrist pin is stock diameter. Is this a common problem? Is there a fix?
Could be a couple of things. The Eagle rods may simply need to be pin fitted (honed) to fit the wrist pins.

It could also be that your pistons have .945" LS1 - 6 wrist pin size and your Eagle rods have .927" small block Chevy pin bushings installed. If that is the case the best bet is to swap out either rods or pistons with your supplier so you get a matching set of parts.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just measured the wrist pin and the rod. The wrist pin is .945 and the rod is .927.
I didn't even think about that when buying the parts. Can I take the rods to a machince shop to bore out the rod and install a larger bushing? I looked on Eagle's web site and it appears all they sell are .927 rods, they are closed today so I couldn't call anyone. Is there another company that sells .945 rods that will work?
Old 12-20-2003, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just measured the wrist pin and the rod. The wrist pin is .945 and the rod is .927.
I didn't even think about that when buying the parts. Can I take the rods to a machince shop to bore out the rod and install a larger bushing? I looked on Eagle's web site and it appears all they sell are .927 rods, they are closed today so I couldn't call anyone. Is there another company that sells .945 rods that will work?

eagle makes the right rods that you need but they are 6.100. i am just guessing that you will have 6.125 style rod correct. if you do this, your piston will not come all the way up in the bore and your compression is going to sux. let me know all the specs so i can help. i need the rod lenght of the eagle you have now and the compression height of the piston. that is the distance from the center of the pin bore to the top of the piston. then i can tell you what you need to get it to work. let me know.

steve.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Eagle 6.1 rod. I think I will take them to a machince shop and have them take the bushing out. I hate to do it but, I recently had a N20 problem with my other motor and need a vehicle.
I still can't believe I didn't think about it.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Eagle 6.1 rod. I think I will take them to a machince shop and have them take the bushing out. I hate to do it but, I recently had a N20 problem with my other motor and need a vehicle.
I still can't believe I didn't think about it.
That's not a good idea, IMO. Get the correct rods. It will be a lot less hassle in the end.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Since nobody is open on weekends I can't call. However, looking at any website I can find that deals with ls1 rods. Nobody sell a connecting rods with a .945 wrist pins.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not sure off hand how much material you have to play with, but I would make sure to measure the rod and consult Eagle before you went and re-bushed it.

Eagle may have a fix for you sitting on the shelf as well, I'd wait until Monday and see what ptions they can provide you.

Quick Reply: Wrist pin will not fit into Eagle rod? Help!