Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Head EXPERTS***

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cylinder Head EXPERTS***

I know everybody talks about How much a cylinder head flows at .600 and ofcourse the higher it flows at .400 ofcourse the better the head is as well as the smaller the runner, more velocity, etc, etc... My question is to you guys that know about heads, How big of a role do the exhaust numbers effect the performance of the head?? I mean, does it have to do alot with the cam as far as the bigger the lobe the more exhaust is needed on the cylinder head??

I see all these heads that that have great numbers and then I see the exhaust numbers and those vary greatly between different companies heads. I would really like input from from anyone that designs/helps design heads. Thanks in advance
Old 02-04-2010, 05:32 PM
9 Second Club

What goes in must come out. Nitrous heads have better exhaust ports but the ratio should fall within .75 to .80 between the intake flow and exhaust flow.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fastvet
I know everybody talks about How much a cylinder head flows at .600 and ofcourse the higher it flows at .400 ofcourse the better the head is as well as the smaller the runner, more velocity, etc, etc... My question is to you guys that know about heads, How big of a role do the exhaust numbers effect the performance of the head?? I mean, does it have to do alot with the cam as far as the bigger the lobe the more exhaust is needed on the cylinder head??

I see all these heads that that have great numbers and then I see the exhaust numbers and those vary greatly between different companies heads. I would really like input from from anyone that designs/helps design heads. Thanks in advance
OK...

I will quickly throw in my two cents here.

IMO, the exhaust port plays a larger role than some give credit for (or pay attention to). Not to mention the strength of the exhaust port also helps dictate camshaft selection and usable RPM range. A strong exhaust can help a curve hang on longer upstairs and a weaker one forcing an earlier (lower) peak and a power curve that drops off more aggressively (not desirable obviously).

Its back to the oversimplification of an engine being described as an air pump, but the reality is that's a very accurate oversimplification. If you cant properly evacuate the burnt gases and spent charge you will never get a complete fill of the next fresh charge ready to enter the cylinder. Once that happens your energy from combustion starts to drop off as well as your total power output. Exhaust flow has a larger impact on high RPM power because the exhaust port has much less time to get the job done.

Also, don't get caught up in comparing "advertised" flow numbers....I could go on for days on this topic (see my Interesting Flow Data thread sticky at the top of this page). Inquire what type of flowbench is being used and even if its the same drawing conclusions is a dicey proposition. Awhile back a different site sponsor claimed our 205 heads flowed 265 CFM while we only advertise 230. They aren't using a SuperFlow style (fixed orifice) type of bench and the type of equipment they use tends to read extremely generous on the exhaust side.

The best test of any products worthy of comparison is on the same bench at the same facility (no different than chassis dynos)....this way, whether that bench reads low, high, or in the middle, all the numbers have the same advantage or disadvantage.

Hope this helps....

-Tony
Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert but I have always heard the majority of the power is made around the valve and the bowl. I guess that's why in the early days guys did so much work with valve angles.

Is this correct Tony?

Last edited by printmanjackson; 02-04-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:21 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
I'm no expert but I have always heard the majority of the power is made around the valve and the bowl. I guess that's why in the early days guys did so much work with valve angles.

Is this correct Tony?
Its a sensitive area for sure where significant gains can be found, but your not going to get big peak numbers with killer bowl work and the ultimate valvejob....you would likely get really good low and midlift numbers though.

Bottom line, port shape, chamber shape, valve job, proper port sizing (CSA), and even the shape of the valve all have a significant impact on flow....its the optimization of all these attributes than can separate an average head from a very good head.

Much like an engine, combination is key....you cant just hit a few of those details and expect a top of the line piece.

-Tony
Old 02-05-2010, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
OK...

I will quickly throw in my two cents here.

IMO, the exhaust port plays a larger role than some give credit for (or pay attention to). Not to mention the strength of the exhaust port also helps dictate camshaft selection and usable RPM range. A strong exhaust can help a curve hang on longer upstairs and a weaker one forcing an earlier (lower) peak and a power curve that drops off more aggressively (not desirable obviously).

Its back to the oversimplification of an engine being described as an air pump, but the reality is that's a very accurate oversimplification. If you cant properly evacuate the burnt gases and spent charge you will never get a complete fill of the next fresh charge ready to enter the cylinder. Once that happens your energy from combustion starts to drop off as well as your total power output. Exhaust flow has a larger impact on high RPM power because the exhaust port has much less time to get the job done.

Also, don't get caught up in comparing "advertised" flow numbers....I could go on for days on this topic (see my Interesting Flow Data thread sticky at the top of this page). Inquire what type of flowbench is being used and even if its the same drawing conclusions is a dicey proposition. Awhile back a different site sponsor claimed our 205 heads flowed 265 CFM while we only advertise 230. They aren't using a SuperFlow style (fixed orifice) type of bench and the type of equipment they use tends to read extremely generous on the exhaust side.

The best test of any products worthy of comparison is on the same bench at the same facility (no different than chassis dynos)....this way, whether that bench reads low, high, or in the middle, all the numbers have the same advantage or disadvantage.

Hope this helps....

-Tony

Thanks Tony, Its definately useful information. Now,....back to the drawing board again. LOL
Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

When it comes to heads... I'd look at what kind of lift you want to run, then aim to find heads that will flow as much as possible at the lift you want to run and under, if you're looking at heads taht flow 400 at 800 lift, but are only going to open them up to 600, thst head probably won't be the best choice.

Also, fwiw, this is somewhat general, but I find that heads with really good upper lift #'s usually are weaker in the bottom lift areas. Again, more critical if you don't plan on running the lift up to and past the max flow of the head.

Runner size, smaller are generally more street friendly, bigger runners are more of a race thing, as they are usually a higher lift/flowing head. Example, a race car with a set of heads that flow 400 cfm at 800 lift, and has an 820 lift camshaft, that leaves the line at 5000 rpm and never sees anything less then 5000 the whole track pass won't care about the power at anything under that mark.... street car that only sees over 5000 maybe 5% of it's life (if that much) is going to care about the 3000 rpm power alot more, meaning port velocity is going to be more improtant, as well as low lift flow #'s

In the end, what is your use for the car, and then what is the power goal? A car that makes a peak of 500 rwhp but makes 400 rwhp at 3800 rpm is gonna feel a TON faster on the street then a car that makes 550 peak and is only making 300 hp at 3800 rpm.

But, that 550 hp car, if geared right, will be faster at the track.

Make sense?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

JL ws-6: Thanks for the input. On that end, I pretty much have it covered. These are new heads that I am upgrading to from my old setup. Its still going to be a street/strip car, but mainly street. So I understand what you are saying about flow numbers. My question was How the EXHAUST flow numbers played a role on the heads as far as performance. (I.E. wider split on the cam=bigger exhaust flow, Higher LSA=smaller exhaust flow, etc, etc.) Tony gave some good advice on Post #3, but I really didnt get the whole picture on how the size differences on the cam effect it.

Tony: So what Im getting out of your post is that regardless of cam, its always better to have a bigger exhaust flow through out the curve? Please correct me if im wrong.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Essentially yes, the better exhaust flow is always welcome, the better the exhaust port is the less you need to split the duration on the cam (unless you have a bottleneck in the exhaust, but that's a different topic for the sake of saying)

That being said, if your intake to exhaust ratio is in a good place (say .8 or higher for the sake of saying) you can get away with less of a split then on a car with a worse ratio, of say .6 for the sake of saying.

A head with a .8 ratio, probably needs about 4 to 5 degrees more duration on the exhasut, a head with a .6 ratio will probably need about 10 to 12 degrees more exhaust duration, a head with a .9 would need just about none at all.... for example.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

If you look at some one like Advanced Induction a lot of their heads have better flow numbers on the exhaust side of the heads than the intake. Am running their heads and I can say that what ever they are doing is right.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02*C5
If you look at some one like Advanced Induction a lot of their heads have better flow numbers on the exhaust side of the heads than the intake. Am running their heads and I can say that what ever they are doing is right.
^^^^ better flow numbers than what? the intake?

this doesn't make any since
Old 02-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

yeah like it says in his post.

^^ sorry, but either does this
Old 02-05-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe you should leave the guesstimation to the pros. And stop passing around wrong info.

Originally Posted by 93batmobile
^^ sorry, but either does this
How about NEITHER does this. Make sure when you call someone out on something, that you dont have crap in your pants at the same time.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How does a 1.5x E. valve move as much air as a 2.0x I. valve? NOT!!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Hey it was nice piece of a advertising though even though it added nothing to thread. Sorta drive-by advertising.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have to look through my computer but I have a link to that let me see if I can find it it was for the heads I just got from them maybe I read it wrong but let me see.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
How does a 1.5x E. valve move as much air as a 2.0x I. valve? NOT!!
**** I was looking at the Flow Scale Intake and exhaust instead of the CFM my apologies When you start to get old the sight is the first thing to go
Old 02-06-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

**** I was looking at the Flow Scale Intake and exhaust instead of the CFM my apologies When you start to get old the sight is the first thing to go

What does the Flow Scale numbers mean when looking at their charts? Does this have something to do with calibration?
Old 02-06-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's cool.... Like I heard one of my co-workers tell the boss after he screwed up last week.... "don't worry about it everybody ***** up every now and then bossman"......lol
Old 02-06-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

What does the Flow Scale numbers mean when looking at their charts? Does this have something to do with calibration?
Before any testing takes place, the flow bench must be calibrated so the maximum airflow volume is known at six different motor settings. This flow volume is expressed in cfm (cubic feet per minute) and is known as the flow scale. Once calibrated, airflow volume through the test object is shown on a manometer scale as a percentage of the flow scale peak figure. For example, a cylinder head that flows 50 percent of a 200 cfm flow scale is capable of 100 cfm. (M. Knowling 2008)

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Flow-...5/article.html