Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danbrazda
Thanks for the research Hammertime. Most of those posts are from 2003. CJ said he updated the cam not long after that to a Thunder Racing 228/228 with 568 lift. He also challenged me to pull the intake and/or the valve covers and take a look for myself what's inside. Whenever I get some free time I will post pix of the innards.
Everyone here already knows whats in it (stock ported heads and a 224 or 228 cam)

You might as well enjoy it as it sits

It doesn't matter how old those threads are, CJ's ad said the car has AFR 205cc heads which it clearly doesn't. I'm guessing the car might have had real AFR heads on it at one time but were removed and sold. Then the stock casting "ported" heads were installed.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan-
Hammertime sums it up best here with a great post. That's the best way once and for all.
When you actually see first hand what you have, then you can get an idea of the potential with a much more modern and aggressive cam with the combo. The heads are sitting on an ARP head stud kit so they will be pretty easy to pulloff.

Sorry guys, but some of you have way to much time on your hands. I am not a kid anymore who enjoys spirited debates on the internet. I am not looking to get in a pissing contest over this.

The 224 cam and the Abs. Speed heads were one of the first combo of many I tried on the car. (I.E. see 2002/2003) when I was involved in all that.

Like Dan, I was always trying to squeak as much HP out of a naturally aspirated, stock cubes, stock bottom end car.
After listening to all the opinions and experts on the forums, I tried several different things.
After wasting $XXXX to swap the cam and have the heads redone, I gained an entire 10 rwhp. (obviously wasn't worth it). Sometimes it's better to leave well alone.

SomBitch
Dude, you need to re-read what I wrote. Not sure how I am contradicting myself?? I said the BEST numbers the car ever put down under ideal condition with the HEADS and CAM that it currently has was 438.

First I would like to see Dan run the car opened up. I dynoed it many times with and without the crappy cats. It was anywhere from 11-14hp depending on heat in the motor/conditions etc. Once the heads where done, I also know that the cutout wide open also yielded me another 12-14Hp over the CRAPPY, crazy restrictive ATR staining cat back system. It's a very well made, high quality stainless system, stainless muffer with very nice sound, but extremely restrictive. (you are right about the 6-8hp from the cut open, but that was with just a cam setup).
When I talked max numbers in the past, they were always with no cats and not running through the restrictive cat back/muffer system.
None the less..Popping a value cove, checking out the heads, bench flow them and he can get a good idea of what his capabilities can be with a modern cam.
Everything I have heard and talked to Dan about is that he bought an awesome car for a good price and is VERY happy with, just trying to determine what was done and where he can go from here.

lets just make sure the next time he dynos it to watch the Throttle body voltage and make sure it is indeed at WOT and not part throttle.
Bottom line-as long as Dan is happy, I am happy--
Now shut the computers down for a bit guys and go watch the superbowl!

Go Saints!!
Old 02-07-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

We shall see and wait for the pics then.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my god, you wrote a novel. Bottom line is you sold someone a car that didn't have the parts you described.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Launching!

OK, I'm going to take responsibility for stirring the pot here. I don't think this thread has become productive anymore and that is my fault. I was reaching out to people with more experience than myself in gaining as much knowledge about my new toy as possible. I really appreciate all of the positive feedback that avoided personal attacks. I got a great deal on a beautiful car that I will continue to tweak and enjoy. I have enough knowledge to move forward at this point.

Oh yeah and- how about those Saints?!
Old 02-07-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah bringing that championship back to the NFC