25.00%
Clevite H
61.36%
Combo (p mains, H rods)
4.55%
Other (please specify)
9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Clevite H bearings or P bearings? other?(stock LS1 crank, aftermarket rods)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Clevite H bearings or P bearings? other?(stock LS1 crank, aftermarket rods)

I'm building a basic forged 346 (LS6 block and crank) with a stock new take out crankshaft. Wiseco pistons, and K1 forged H beam rods. Standard sized bearings. It will probably see some boost later.

Should I use Clevite H or P series main and rod bearings? The H bearings state they are the performance series but they are narrower for aftermarket crankshafts with oversized fillets. I've read to run a P series (replacement) if the contact patch is too narrow. I don't want too narrow of a patch. I also don't want issues with the thrust bearing since its a stock crankshaft. (P mains and H rods maybe?) I would have no problem running a P bearing as I have in the past on older SBC motors that took some abuse, but others say to run an H as it's "better".

I think the H are a Tri-Armor coated.... but I'm not sure if all of them are or not. There are many variants of the part numbers.

Specifically.
CB663P or CB663HN on the rods
and
MS2199P or MS2199H.

What do you all recommend? Some of these or something else altogether? I've used Clevites before and federal mogul, but clevites were my first choice. I want this to be right. I've searched and looked at the clevite catalog.

I added the poll, just to get an idea. But if you have any comments or opinions, please reply

Thanks
Steve

Last edited by Steve01SS; 02-12-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the h bearings with an eagle 4" stoke crank. Mains run around 150.00 and rod bearings 9.00 a piece for the h and half that for the p.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually got my h set mains/rods for $170 off egay. I checked into this also. Seems like the h set is more popular for most builds. I did not find anything bad about the p set though.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the ACL coated. The P set are like OEM IIRC and the H is an upgrade.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I like the ACL coated. The P set are like OEM IIRC and the H is an upgrade.

I've heard of the ACL, no experience with them. Yeah I do believe the P are like OEM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Launching!

H's are better than the P's. P's are still way better than OEM bearings according to my local machine shop. I just put a set of H's in my motor with a stock crank. No issues. All clearances and end play were right on the money. I would go with the H's in case you run boost later like you mentioned.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:12 AM
KCS

Received 310 Likes on 210 Posts

I've run H series on a stock crank with no issues at all. If that's what you want to run, then go for it.

As far as being too narrow, the Clevite H series bearings are used in engines making well over 2000hp, and have come out looking brand new. I don't think you would have to worry about them being too narrow.

Clevite has a huge amount of info in their bearing catalog, which you can even find on the internet. It's a very good read if you're interested.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

H series are chamfered due to the rolled fillet on the journals for aftermarket cranks otherwise it's like putting them in a vise when using the P bearings. You don't want to chamfer them by hand.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, looks like I will be using the H bearings then.

I was just under the impression I "had" to run non-chamfered bearings with a stock crank without the fillets. I will be using a stock crank. It's extra protection and I do not want to skimp on bearings as they are one of the most important parts of the motor.

Thanks a bunch.
steve
Old 02-14-2010, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I have P's in my build..Machine Shop assembled the bottom end and I've had no issues.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:23 AM
Restricted User

There is alot of talk about the H and the P, but does anyone really know the true difference

Did you know there is a

H
P
AS
K
V

Take the Clevite Learning school

http://www.mahlecleviteelearning.com

quick break out

P standard passenger car
H High Performance
AS OEM Quality Replacement
V Vandervell - Top Fuel and Funny Car
K Endurance High Performance
Old 04-08-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been told the P series is what you want for a stock crank setup because they are still softer than the crank and will wear instead of the crank. The H series are harder than the stock crank and the crank will wear more thsn the bearing. H series is better for aftermarket forged cranks...P series for stock cranks.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Launching!

So not to bring this topic back from the dead but want to post on it to help anyone else down the road with this question as this is #1 Google search for what bearings on stock crank.

I just ordered H bearings for my 6.0 LQ4/L92 build and my machine shop said don't use them as they are harder then stock crank and will wear on the crank. Told me I need the P's. I have H bearings in hand and dont want to return these as I got a great deal for rods and mains for $112. (found guy on ebay and called him and offered to pay out side of Ebay and he gave me 10% off.)

So me being that guy that doesn't like to take one answer and run with it I searched google and in fact a lot of guys running H on stock crank.(why is my machine shop telling me different?)

I also called Clevite to get the answers I need. (Was very hard to find this number but my googlefoo is strong today, 1-800-223-9152 They answer the phone with their names and not company name so that must be a good number)

So the guy there told me that the H series stands for High Performance and not hardened like my machine shop and many others think. They say they have a general rule and if your above 500HP and or 7,000 RPM you best be using H. But you can run the H on any application of a stock crank as the bearing is softer then the crank.

Hope this helps many people down the road as Im keeping my H. Also when you get them and they are multicolored that's normal .

Last edited by NuckenFuts; 03-28-2014 at 01:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (04-18-2023)
Old 06-22-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 164 Posts

Here is the learning link to register:

http://elearning.mahle.com/registration.html/

Quick Reply: Clevite H bearings or P bearings? other?(stock LS1 crank, aftermarket rods)