Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP 231/237 owners come in please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TSP 231/237 owners come in please.

Hello,
My name is Chris. I have never posted on this forum, but have been a regular
as far as reading all the info and feedback. I have an 02 t/a that I have been planning to do a cam swap (for now) and a set of heads later. I am really interested in this TSP 231/237 cam. I like the numbers I have seen with this cam but I have been one of those people who was afraid of going too big with the cam lift/duration. But as you all know if you don't get a big enough cam you end up pulling it anyway right? From what I have understood about this cam is that it is not ground with a XE-R lobe correct? Just a xe lobe. That in it self would help in the durability some what with the springs correct? I would at least like to see at least 15k-20k out of the springs (Crane duals).
Also I live up here in hickville Wyoming for now so I don't know of any close dynos/tuning shops. Would you suggest a mail tune (who) or does anyone know of a shop close to Northeast Wyoming. I don't know how to calculate the DA for this elevation so I don't know what to expect as far as hp/tq #'s(4800'). Has anyone successfully ran this cam untuned for a while with minimal problems. How is the driveablility on this particular cam? How does it idle (does it shake the hell out of the car or is it liveable, occasionally dies ect.) The power band says 2800 - 6800 I think. So basically it is dead below 2800 or will it be similar to stock below 2800? Also what is this surging that everyone has talked about? Please explain. Also I plan on putting Hooker lt's on with a cutout and I have a lid with a corsa exhaust. I would appreciate as much feedback to help aid my decision as I am having a real hard time deciding whether or not to go with this cam. Also one more thing do you suggest the comp r lifters with the crane duals or will the stockers not collapse from the spring pressure? thanks for the info guys
Sincerly
Chris
P.S. sorry for writing a novel on this but I 've got to know! TIA
Old 12-26-2003, 03:58 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive it daily.
Sounds like this... http://www.eadperformance.com/sounds/3test.wma

It's rough starting up. Needs for engine temps to warm up for it run right.
It's definately no dog down low, though it's no torquemonster. It's responded very well to the 3" true duals I just put on, as this cam can't get enough air with stock heads (with the duals, it's picked up quite a bit down low).

This cam runs great 99% of the time. 1% accounts for startups and for muggy weather.

You can get an Ed Wright tune mailed to ya, or get a Predator and have Diablo mail a tune.
I don't think it will run well on the stock tune.

In summary, great cam. Runs great on stock heads.. runs awesome on Stage II heads. I got it for this reason, as I anticipate upgrading the heads in the future.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you have an M6 I say go for it, its gonna shake rattle and role, but you'll like it.

TSP can mail order you a good tune to get you around, but to optimize HP you will need a wideband dyno tune.

I think 15k and duals is achievable and all I can say is DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2003, 04:03 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Stock lifters should be fine BTW.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

are u a4 or M6, if u have an A4 u need a stall at least 3500 and driveablility will be fine ,
a bout surging every big cam like this will surge on u sometimes at low rpm(not a big deal)

get a good spring and pushrods,send the PCM somewhere and start the install
Old 12-26-2003, 04:21 PM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

i have never had mine stall or give me problems with start ups. in fact the only thing that has ever given me any problems if you could call it that is the hot-starts. once you run around town/ shut it off/ start it again i have had a low idle following. it lasts for about 20 seconds and then it is fine. am i bias, yes, would i say the same things about other cams i am familiar with, yes. there are other cams out there that have the same performance but the reason i chose this one is the lobes are somewhat nice to the springs. they are not an xer/ nor an xe. both those are from comp cams as far as i know. the lobe is its own design that has a very decent ramp rate without going insane. i was once asking the same q's as you. daily driving was a concern and performance was another. i think this is the perfect mate of the two. with stock heads you are going to have some real fun with this cam and even more once you upgrade. definately get a mail order tune as it will be much better behaved as still give you some great numbers. then a dyno tune once you install your heads so that you get the most out of it.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:39 PM
master of the "jack"stand

Do you have to fly cut the pistons with this cam or is it ok with the stock 1.7:1 ratio? I am also interested in this cam, but I don't want to take the heads off. Basically I want to go about as big as I can without causing valve clearance problems because I am going to stay with the 241 stock heads. I just want the thing to lope like crazy when I do it so I get my time and money's worth.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:44 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

No flycutting pistons. Use stock rockers.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Brian @ Texas Speed & Performance's Avatar

The camshaft is on special right now with the complete crane spring package, and we offer mail order tuning for the camshaft With our custom tuning the cam should run really well for you. Here's our latest dyno with stock heads..

http://www.texas-speed.com/231237StockHeads.jpg
(806) 866-0734
Old 12-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Teching In

just walked in the door from my maiden voyage. i have 2003 vette convert with 231 237 cam in a a4 with patriot ls6 stage II heads tci3000 vara ram and lg long. first of all the guys at texas speed are totally cool and 100%
into customer service. joe jason and brian have been there when i had a question and as far as being too big of a cam, i say no way. go for it!!! make sure that jason does your tune- for sure!!!
Old 12-26-2003, 06:07 PM
Teching In

just walked in the door from my maiden voyage. i have 2003 vette convert with 231 237 cam in a a4 with patriot ls6 stage II heads tci3000 vara ram and lg long. first of all the guys at texas speed are totally cool and 100%
into customer service. joe jason and brian have been there when i had a question and as far as being too big of a cam, i say no way. go for it!!! make sure that jason does your tune- for sure!!!
Old 12-26-2003, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brian @ Texas Speed & Performance
The camshaft is on special right now with the complete crane spring package, and we offer mail order tuning for the camshaft With our custom tuning the cam should run really well for you. Here's our latest dyno with stock heads..

http://www.texas-speed.com/231237StockHeads.jpg

Is that an A4 or M6 graph? What other mods did this car have?
Old 12-26-2003, 06:19 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This cam is certainly an aggressive one, but it's not anything that cannot be daily driven. I ran this cam in my '02 SS A4 with no problems at all. If you are still having trouble with cold or warm starts, then the tuning can be further optimized. Jason does all of the tuning on customers' cars, and he has tuned a LOT of LS1's. I never had one issue with cold or warm starts, and I had the cam thumping nicely at 875 RPM in park and in gear. The cam is not a Comp grind. It's a proprietary grind that is specifically ground for us. Our goal was to offer a camshaft that provides ample piston-to-valve clearance, keep lift under .600", provide excellent N/A power while still working very well with nitrous setups, and still offer a decent amount of mid-range power. The cam will really start pulling from 2,800 RPM on up. You do not have to worry with cutting any valve reliefs if you're running stock cylinder heads, and you can even upgrade with 2.02"/1.57" valves with no problems so long as the heads are not shaved any. The cam does make some excellent power, and it's very repeatable. We have quite a few customers running this cam in M6 cars making 400+ RWHP with stock cylinder heads. We've seen quite a few customers produce 440+ RWHP (451 RWHP being the best on Gomer's car) with this camshaft and the Patriot Performance cylinder heads. This, of course, assumes that you have all of the other normal modifications done (i.e. long tube headers, off-road y-pipe, aftermarket lid, etc.). Sure, the cam is going to thump at idle, but it will work just fine in a daily driver so long as it is properly tuned.

We have just the camshaft on sale for $350, and as Brian mentioned, we have it on sale with the Crane dual valve springs, Patriot titanium retainers, Crane hardened seats, and TSP hardened pushrods for $695 through the end of December. The only other parts needed will be valve seals. We use the factory GM valve seals, and the complete set is an additional $25.99.

FYI, the graph that Brian posted is from a 2001 WS6 six-speed with Hooker long tube headers, 3" off-road y-pipe, TSP induction lid, K&N filter, TSP custom dyno tuning, 3.42:1 gears, and a lot of stereo upgrades.

Feel free to give us a call at any time if you have any questions or concerns. We're always here to help, and we want you to be happy with the decision that you make!

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 12-26-2003, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

I love my TSP231/237 cam, the way it pulls when the engine hits about 2,800rpms is amazing. It is just a huge "hit" when the cam and heads start working right there. The idle will get you noticed everywhere you go and I have never had my car stall out or had a single problem with hot starts on my car. Jason from TSP did my mail order tune. He tunes alot of cars with this cam, so you can rest assured he knows what he is doing.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:16 PM
Restricted User

Chris, I love the cam. I have an Auto with only a 3000rpm stall, and it is my daily driver/racer. The cam is alive on the bottom, but monster on top. I still have stock heads, and tuned myself. If you have an auto you may really want to make sure the tuner uses v1.3 of Edit to adjust the MAP min max from 55/65 to 75/85. Or you may experience a little deadspot when doing part throttle acceleration. Mike, WicketMike, had the same problems I did, adjusted this value and bam, not more p0121 code, or deadspot that I can report. Will be at the track in about an hour or two, doing some NA runs, will post results tomorrow. You will enjoy the hell outta this cam. BTW, No surging and my cold starts are not bad at all, 1min warm up and drive off! Using 918 springs too.
Charlie.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:42 PM
Teching In

hello again guys,
I really appreciate all the input you guys have shared! If you have any additional info that I might have forgot to ask for or mabe some info you have found to be useful from your experiences please share but you all have been very helpful. Basically I think I have made up my mind. Looks like I'll have a new tsp cam here in a few weeks. Thanks again
Sincerely Chris
Old 12-27-2003, 03:15 AM
Restricted User

Oh yeah, if at possible, install it yourself. Makes the pain of living without a tune that much sweeter. And if you get it tuned right away, that much prouder.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by raped ape
THIS IS THE PACKAGE I HAVE ORDERED, WHAT HP / TQ DID YOU MAKE W/ TSP TUNE AND LG LONG TUBES?
Old 01-22-2004, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magred2001vette
THIS IS THE PACKAGE I HAVE ORDERED, WHAT HP / TQ DID YOU MAKE W/ TSP TUNE AND LG LONG TUBES?
This guy doesn't come to our board very much, he hangs out on corvette forum, his name is Nick Yosin on there. He mailed me about two weeks ago and told me that he killed his trans the day before his dyno tune. He should be up and going within the next week or so.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

I have the 231/237 and a set of 5.3 stg 2s and all i can say is i love them both. it's an entirely different car. i can't wait to get the tune and get the spray back on her