Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 to LS6 PCV conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 12:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 to LS6 PCV conversion

Has anyone done the LS1 to LS6 PCV conversion shown on http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18 I am thinkin about doing it myself.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:48 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

I've done it. It doesnt eliminate oil consumption on all the cars, but it definitly helps in most cases, even if just a little bit. If you are looking for 100% fix on oil consumption this probably isnt what you want (a catch can/seperator would probably work best, but then you'll have a can to empty from time to time). If you are just looking for something that should help reduce usage and clean up the engine bay a bit, go for it.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:58 AM
12 Second Club

but a real ls6 engine does it completely right
Old 12-30-2003, 01:12 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

No...
Old 12-30-2003, 05:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a question about the PVC on a 00 T\A
I am one of the the few I guess that do not have oil issues.
But i would like to know when should i change the PCV valve?
Went to the dealer to buy one an they don't even stock them WTF?
Old 12-30-2003, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought the PCV valve for the truck engine. I couldn't locate clear braided fuel line, but I put used a clear inline fuel filter to see the crap it's pushing into the intake.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeh: suggestion:

Instead of cutting the aluminum engine block, cut out a 4 inch section of the black plastic on the new ls6 valley cover....then patch in a 6 inch piece of 1/4 inch copper tubing. Glue the tubing to the roof of the cover with high temp silicone and fill in the excess area in the black plastic cover with silicone so you have an airtight seal....

...this is easier than cutting the block, and it works great...

I also use a large oil catch can with great results.....no more oil is being pulled into the intake manifold.... I built my catch can with 2 inch PVC plastic pipe from Home Depo....

....two of the best mods I have done so far....
Old 11-26-2004, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done it.Total waste of time and $$. Still got just as much oil in the intake as before.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, reverse question:

I have a 2002 LS6 shortblock here, with a 99' valley cover. Should I go ahead and get the $54 LS6 valley cover? I've already got the AMW catch can.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:42 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

i got the catch can and still get loads of oil in the intake
Old 11-27-2004, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pdd
i got the catch can and still get loads of oil in the intake
What type of catch can do you have? AMW?
Old 11-27-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

for me it went something like this:

LS6 PCV = 25% cleared up
LS6 PCV + catch can = 75% cleared up
moded LS6 PCV + catch can = 100% cleared up (no oil in intake anymore)

when I say "moded" LS6, I mean that I pulled the plastic "baffle thing" off the bottom of the LS6 valley cover and put some cores steel wool inside the large chamber (if you take the thing apart you will understand). I got the idea from looking inside my catch can (I have the Greedy (sp?)) and noticed that it had steel wool inside it. The more steel wool the oil passes, the less that gets into the intake. The "moded" valley cover has worked so well that I may take the catch can off as it no longer gets ANY oil in it so it does not do much (this is while still pulling 22in/hg of vacuum on the crank case at idle).
Old 11-27-2004, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy

LS6 PCV = 25% cleared up

when I say "moded" LS6, I mean that I pulled the plastic "baffle thing" off the bottom of the LS6 valley cover and put some cores steel wool inside the large chamber (if you take the thing apart you will understand). I got the idea from looking inside my catch can (I have the Greedy (sp?)) and noticed that it had steel wool inside it. The more steel wool the oil passes, the less that gets into the intake. The "moded" valley cover has worked so well that I may take the catch can off as it no longer gets ANY oil in it so it does not do much (this is while still pulling 22in/hg of vacuum on the crank case at idle).
Thats an awesome idea. I'm going to have to try this when I swap out my intakes finally. I'll prolly pick up a catch can in the meantime for a majority fix.

When I pulled my tb off to port it there was all sorts of **** in the neck of my intake

Where has everyone been gettin the clear fuel lines?
Old 11-27-2004, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy

LS6 PCV = 25% cleared up

That sounds like a geat Idea! I Just want to make sure the steel wool you are refering to is like the same stuff they use to make the SOS pads out of right? But with out the soap of course that the SOS pads have.

Last edited by Oatmeal; 11-27-2004 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LBCSS
That sounds like a geat Idea! I Just want to make sure the steel wool you are refering to is like the same stuff they use to make the SOS pads out of right? But with out the soap of course that the SOS pads have.

yep......just the basic steel wool you would use to scrape rust/paint/etc.......just go to Home Depot (other hardware store) and get the coarsest steel wool you can buy (the reason I think coarse is the way to go is because I would "think" the fine might could restrict airflow which would kill the entire purpose of having a PCV system) and stick it in.....if I remember right it only required about half of a piece (again.....if you pack it too tight it might hurt airflow).......

as a heads up, the "plastic baffle thing" is bolted to the valley cover but it is also RTVed on to make a good seal so make sure you have some RTV to put it back together with......
Old 11-27-2004, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Quick question, What happens when the steel wool clogs up and your pcv system doesn't work?
Old 11-27-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

it shouldn't.....it's just hot oil which will flow back down into the lifter valley after you shut the engine off (the vacuum goes away). This is the same idea as all of the mass produced catch cans (they all have steel wool in them that the air/oil mixture must pass through before it gets to the intake manifold) that people are buying from Sponsors here in LS1Tech and have been running for who knows how long without any problems. What I have done is basically put a "pre catch-can catch-can" in the system.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool! I'll try it the next time my intake is off. I'm thinking I'll try this in my home made Catch can due to I'm still getting some oil.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Steel wool should be alright, since there isn't an easy way for it to travel into the intake manifold, but small bits may get ingested into the engine. Not so good. What the steel wool does is cause the vaporized oil to precipitate- putting a line of metal lamp link (the thin chain you pull on to turn on an overhead light) will work just as well and you won't have to worry about little metal particulates.

However, if your catch can is sufficiently baffled like this (with chain or wool), you shouldn't need it in the LS6 oil vapor accumulator as well.

Ben

Quick Reply: LS1 to LS6 PCV conversion