Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trick flow , MS4 and Fast 102 combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can never be sure without checking pushrod length, sometimes we've needed 7.525" pushrods with trick flow heads (no extra milling)
Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice setup! Your combo could break 500rwhp on a dynojet on a good tune. You've got the headflow, an intake that won't hinder those heads, cam, and compression to get there.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is the fuel pump. If you still have the stock piece, you'll want a 250gph such as the one in the Racetronix kit. No sense in skimping on fuel supply when spraying 250hp+ on a $9k motor.

Jason
Old 03-08-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AES Racing
can never be sure without checking pushrod length, sometimes we've needed 7.525" pushrods with trick flow heads (no extra milling)
Boss how can we check the correct pushrods for the heads ?

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
nice setup! Your combo could break 500rwhp on a dynojet on a good tune. You've got the headflow, an intake that won't hinder those heads, cam, and compression to get there.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is the fuel pump. If you still have the stock piece, you'll want a 250gph such as the one in the Racetronix kit. No sense in skimping on fuel supply when spraying 250hp+ on a $9k motor.

Jason
we hope for the 500rwhp , don't worry we installed walbro 255 fuel pump and bosch 36lbs on their way with the fast fuel rails .

Last edited by PONTIAC SLP; 03-09-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

the orders wont stop until we order all important parts for that bird ,

today i'll order
TickPerformance master cylinder

Cubby Hole Area Switchplate
Old 03-09-2010, 06:24 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PONTIAC SLP
how can we check the correct pushrods for the heads ?

I don't mean to be rude, but are you serious that you don't know how to check for the correct pushrod length? That is almost as basic as you can get.

You got new pistons, but are you going to have the new rotating assembly balanced?

It sounds like your buddy is going to be pushing this motor hard, do your buddy a favor and get some experienced help with putting this together. It might hurt your ego, but there is more to making a motor perform, and last, that simply bolting on the heads and slapping in a cam.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also get rid of that crappy Spec garbage clutch.. You will want a Textralia clutch... trust me
Old 03-09-2010, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is this your first built engine you have done...or are you just getting parts and having someone else do it...kind of getting us all nervous when you ask how to check pushrod length...also seems like you are in a hurry for no reason...take your time and do it right...
Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I don't mean to be rude, but are you serious that you don't know how to check for the correct pushrod length? That is almost as basic as you can get.

You got new pistons, but are you going to have the new rotating assembly balanced?

It sounds like your buddy is going to be pushing this motor hard, do your buddy a favor and get some experienced help with putting this together. It might hurt your ego, but there is more to making a motor perform, and last, that simply bolting on the heads and slapping in a cam.
yes i don't know how to check the pushrods ? there're no one born and know every thing , I have a mechanic and this is his job , the mechanic will rebuild and make every thing balanced .

I know what i'm doing this isn't the first time that i prepared a car .

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Also get rid of that crappy Spec garbage clutch.. You will want a Textralia clutch... trust me
we did't seen any issues with spec 3 and +3 and they pulling around 700-800 RWHP .

Originally Posted by chrs1313
is this your first built engine you have done...or are you just getting parts and having someone else do it...kind of getting us all nervous when you ask how to check pushrod length...also seems like you are in a hurry for no reason...take your time and do it right...
answered above
Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm confused. You say that you weren't born with this information, which I can understand, and is normal, but then you reply with "I know what I'm doing, this isn't the first time that I prepared a car." Which is it? Or on the other cars did you simply leave the stock pushrods?

I wasn't trying to flame or instigate. If you have someone building the motor, then they should be the one measuring for correct pushrod length and rocker arm geometry as well as piston to valve clearance amongst a multitude of other measurements. It's a pretty important measurement, and as long as you have someone who knows what they are doing, it's not an issue.

All we are saying is, usually, you don't order pushrods until you have the heads bolted up, and the cam degreed, and the rockers adjusted for the correct swipe over the valve stems. Granted, it's a hydraulic lifter, but just look at how many threads are posted when people just 'guess' at pushrod length and then have issues with hanging a valve, or a noisy top end.

Don't rush it, or that $10,000 he spent can turn into another $5000-$10,000 easy if he grenades the motor.

Last edited by The Alchemist; 03-09-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Well, I wasn't trying to flame or instigate. If you have someone building the motor, then they should be the one measuring for correct pushrod length and rocker arm geometry as well as piston to valve clearance amongst a multitude of other measurements.

All we are saying is, usually, you don't order pushrods until you have the heads bolted up, and the cam degreed, and the rockers adjusted for the correct swipe over the valve stems. Granted, it's a hydraulic lifter, but just look at how many threads are posted when people just 'guess' at pushrod length and then have issues with hanging a valve, or a noisy top end.
thanks a lot I'll cancel the pushrods .
Old 03-09-2010, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I went back and re-read this thread a few times, and i knew something was missing. A fuel system? There is no way you are going to get away with a 250 shot of nitrous on a just a walbro 255. There is going to have to be either another pump added to this setup or a dedicated fuel system for the nitrous.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transam69230
I went back and re-read this thread a few times, and i knew something was missing. A fuel system? There is no way you are going to get away with a 250 shot of nitrous on a just a walbro 255. There is going to have to be either another pump added to this setup or a dedicated fuel system for the nitrous.
I'm sure the 36lbs injectors and 255 fuel pump will do the job , and don't miss the important thing its a wet kit not dry !
Old 03-09-2010, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

That big of shot you are going to be starving the cylinders of fuel. You get your fuel for the nitrous from the fuel rails feeding the motor. Unless you have a double pumper, with a -6 an line for your feed and at least your stock line for a return, you are going to have fueling issues on spray.

It doesn't matter what type of kit the nitrous it is both ways you need to add fuel either through tuning or through a solenoid!

Maybe you should spend sometime over in the nitrous section researching and asking some question over there, you would get better feedback I am sure.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to call it a custom cam from speed inc, if its not a texas speed MS4 cam
Old 03-09-2010, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

Check out some of the threads Larry@Speedinc (LS1SPEED) has posted in the the dyno section. I recall they did a h/c/i setup a while back with TFS 215s, a FAST 92, and their SI6 cam (235/240 .621/.609 111lsa) that put down 475rwhp. With that said I think your buddies car should be right around 470-480rwhp N/A and probably 700+ on N2O. With that much power I would highly recommed you get a better clutch. I picked up a Mcleod RST twindisk from Speed Inc last year. I'm running it with a Tick M/C and '01-'02 GM slave and it works great. It has Massive clamping power and great pedal feel.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:07 PM
10 Second Club

agreed a 700rwhp dyno run is not comparable to a 6k drop with te same power...kind of like roll racing with a 10 bolt...
Old 03-09-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm sure the 36lbs injectors and 255 fuel pump will do the job , and don't miss the important thing its a wet kit not dry !
With 36lb injectors your going to run out of injector. I am in the process of doing my N2O set up and I am doing the Walboro 255 pump with 60lb injectors.
Just my .02 I am running 36lb injectors right now N/A.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:27 PM
11 Second Club

....ummmm No. I would put something in the high 40#'s. Thats a 250 shot bro. Were the rings gapped for it to handle the 250 shot??
Old 03-09-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

i have to agree with a previous poster about only doing like a 150 shot....i dont want to insult you and thats not my intention but have you run a 700whp car down the track? if you havent def. build the motor and run it and see what you think....you may be satified with the 500whp you gonna have n/a....if you have prevously run a 9 second car than i apologize but i still feel that a 150 shot is all you should run so far as longevity for your car, i dont know your budget but a 250 shot is going to ensure taring that motor down every year if you wanna do things right, everything will lost much longer on a 150 shot, motor, drivetrain etc...i dont know how much money you make though, if your a baller than spray the **** out of it and rebuild as needed, this is just the info i have from my stepdad who runs with the midwest superstock mafia...he has a 588 and sprays 250hp+ into that motor and he has to rebuild it every winter, which consider a 250 shot for that motor would be the equivelant to like a 125 shot on yours....agian not tryin to be rude, just if i were in your situation i would want someone to tell me this if i didnt already know...and maybe you do in which case i apologize but thought id throw it out there....good luck either way your cars gonna be a bad bitch!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:57 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I would definitely research your fueling methods. I ran a wal255 intank, 60#er's and an inline pump with my 250 shot.

Quick Reply: Trick flow , MS4 and Fast 102 combo