Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new 408 low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 408 low oil pressure

OK, before anyone starts in on the search stuff, i have done a search, and read every single thread, even on other sites. and everything i have read has a rule of thumb of 10psi per 1k rpms. but that's not good enough for me. i had a solid 40psi warm and about 60psi or so cold. now i have about 10-15psi cold, just barely off the red. and it does climb when i tap the gas, although I'm scared to death to do so. at 3k i have 30psi. i haven't let it run long enough to get warm, I'm afraid my brand new engine will destroy itself before it gets warm. i have bought a mechanical gauge but haven't installed it yet because i haven't had time to take the intake all off, and i feel kinda like i shouldn't have to after paying to have everything done then getting this. and OK then if it reads the same on the mech. gauge, then what, do i have to tear the front off the engine and replace the oil pump, its a brand new ported and shimmed ls6 pump.
i have called the shop it was put together at and the actual engine builder they use and one says its low psi, the other says its OK because the bearings aren't as close clearances as the stock engine. am i being yanked around.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

You're being yanked around for sure,
I build all mine to have at least 35 hot idle, a couple things could be happening since you are saying it got progressively worse,
ok the check valve could be hung up slightly from some type of debris, the oil pump pick up could have a nick taken out of it, the oil restrictor barbel could be compromised, the front oil galley plug on the driver side block isn't sealed up, or worst of all the engine could be eating its self
, first thing try that other guage , even if your other guage is wrong you need to cut open your oil filter and sift through the element for strings of copper, if it's just kind of chalky and no big chunks the motor is still healthy,
no matter what they say something is not right, I've run. 0028 main with. 003 rod clearances in an iron 408 and had 40-60psi with a shimmed stock truck pump!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How loose are your clearances set?

First check and make sure you are really getting a low oil pressure. If you are and it's not the sensor then check the O-ring on the pump. Make sure it's not torn, gouged, pinched, etc... If all looks good there and since the you have the front cover off pull the cam retaining cover off and check the gasket, the oil passage does a 180 across that gasket. Make sure it's in good shape. If everything still looks good then you'll need to check and make sure that they didn't mistakenly leave out the "barbell plug" at the rear of the block. You can check it either by dropping the trans and pulling the rear cover, or there is an allen plug just above the filter on the filter base, pull it and see if you see a plastic rod up in there, if not you'll be pulling the trans regardless to install it. This is common as I see it all the time, hell even I've done it once way back when... If all of these check out, let us know, but these are the most common issues for low oil pressure considering it's a new pump.

Good luck.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you had great pressure and its dropped since first start-up(s)? Unless something else occured during installed like debris, pinched o-ring or retainer plate seal, etc you wouldn't assume it to be bearing clearance. You'd be hard pressed to find any engine that has eaten bearings that quickly and loosened the clearance that much, without something VERY wrong happening during install and assembly.

What have you checked so far?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Launching!

well i guess i confused you guys a little. no, from the very first start up it has been low pressure. but i had 5-30 oil and a fram filter and he said to change to 15-40 oil and anything except a fram filter. so i did that and no change what-so-ever. i am thinking that barbell thing may have something to do with it, because i have it sitting in my toolbox, so unless he replaced it with something then that may be a cause. i dont know what that does but like i said its sitting in my toolbox. all those suggestions are great, but i dont think i should have to do any of this seeing as i paid a few thousand dollars to get this all taken care of, in addition to parts cost. but i appreciate these suggestions very much, and if i get left hanging i will try these myself.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly what options do you have? You should have normal oil pressure which is 35-40 hot idle and 55-60 @ 2k. This is what i have seen in every LS1 car i've owned or driven.

Your low oil pressure could be caused by so many things. If i were you I would try to get the shop to stand behind their work. DON"T even think about accepting excuses.

Stand your ground you should have normal oil pressure. I wish there was an easy way to solve this but someone with ALOT of knowledge needs to look at this and find the problem. Anyone tells you have normal oil pressure make them show you another LS1 that shows the same. BS
Old 03-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you have the barbell? thats a very good reason to have low oil pressure!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
Why do you have the barbell? that's a very good reason to have low oil pressure!
this almost makes me laugh, even thought its definitely not funny.

98redbird hit the nail on the head, when he mentioned the barbell. i remember when accubuilt took it out they gave it to me, and i guess i didn't pass it along to the shop when i brought my motor to them. which is why i take some responsibility for this low oil pressure, but in my opinion a experienced builder should check for this kind of thing. I'm not worried now, at least i know the problem and its nothing but a matter of getting the time to drop the trans and put the galley plug in and put it back together. at least its not a mystery anymore. and i dont blame the shop completely because i started this job, took my ls1 out and then got in over my head and asked them to fix my mess, which no shop really wants to do, but they took my mess and gave me back a car that was almost ready to fire up. I'm happy.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Launching!

Hey do you have a picture of the galley plug so i dont forget it when i do my engine lol?
Old 03-17-2010, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

If you had the shop build you the 408, Then they should have put the Galley Plug in!! A couple of questions that should be asked. Did the builder dress the motor?? Did you use all your plugs from your LS1 for the new build? All the things that 98 REDBIRD recommended are the way to go!!! Lastly, even thought the builder may have made a mistake, they will not shoulder the cost of any R&R that needs to be done!!!! Hope you find the culprit, and it is an easy fix.. Good Luck to you.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 317 Likes on 240 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Ya I would pull the Rear Cover to see what's in there..if there is nothing there you are in for a re-build.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by the_merv
Ya I would pull the Rear Cover to see what's in there..if there is nothing there you are in for a re-build.
i know for a fact its not in there, but i have only run the engine for a few seconds. i hope i dont need a rebuild for that short of a run.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99LSS1
Lastly, even thought the builder may have made a mistake, they will not shoulder the cost of any R&R that needs to be done!!!!
yeah i know, its why i kinda hate taking anything to a shop, i mean u pay them to do something, hoping they have the knowledge to do it right, and if they destroy your 6k dollar engine... oh well... sucks to be you. i shouldn't have taken my car to the speed shop, all i really needed was the machine shop to put my short-block together. but i got lazy and just paid to have the rest done too.
i didn't even let the engine warm up, so total run time was about 1 minute, and most at idle, with a few blips to about 2-3k rpms, to see if pressure came up any, and it did. just not as high as it should have.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pauls99z28
Hey do you have a picture of the galley plug so i dont forget it when i do my engine lol?
like this, and like the other guys said its under the rear cover.
Attached Thumbnails new 408 low oil pressure-oil-barbell.jpg  
Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by the jester 812
this almost makes me laugh, even thought its definitely not funny.

98redbird hit the nail on the head, when he mentioned the barbell. i remember when accubuilt took it out they gave it to me, and i guess i didn't pass it along to the shop when i brought my motor to them. which is why i take some responsibility for this low oil pressure, but in my opinion a experienced builder should check for this kind of thing. I'm not worried now, at least i know the problem and its nothing but a matter of getting the time to drop the trans and put the galley plug in and put it back together. at least its not a mystery anymore. and i dont blame the shop completely because i started this job, took my ls1 out and then got in over my head and asked them to fix my mess, which no shop really wants to do, but they took my mess and gave me back a car that was almost ready to fire up. I'm happy.
It's a good thing you didn't give them just seven pistons....
Old 03-18-2010, 01:48 AM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

I would check to see if you got metal in the Oil..hopefully it didn't hurt anything.

I would kick the guy's *** at the shop if it's not there..if he's supposed to know what he's doing, then he would've asked you for it.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Launching!

True! He shoulda spotted that since you paid them big money for the work.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

When my guy assembled my 408, he handed me the Plug and asked if I knew where it went..I told him yea but he explained it anyways, probably just a little CYA on his part.

You never know though, you could have one installed. If there is one there when you tear it down then you have some serious problems.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by the_merv
When my guy assembled my 408, he handed me the Plug and asked if I knew where it went..I told him yea but he explained it anyways, probably just a little CYA on his part.

You never know though, you could have one installed. If there is one there when you tear it down then you have some serious problems.
no i called him yesterday, and he didn't order a new one. and i have the original one in my top toolbox tray. but i have to tranny almost down already, it takes a little longer with all this suspension stuff in the way, and the drive-shaft loops. so i will know tonite.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

jester....did the barbell fix your low oil pressure issue?

Quick Reply: new 408 low oil pressure