Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Independent Flow Test of Heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Independent Flow Test of Heads

There is a shop down here called Kim Barr Racing (no I personally have no affiliation with them in anyway) that I probably could get to independently test the different vendors heads. He has a SuperFlow 600 bench. I would be more than willing to pay for these tests and then post the results back here.

I am not sure this is a practical idea though since ideally we would want to send them a head that one of us has received from one of the vendors and NOT have the head sent directly from the vendor to the flow shop. Then we would want to test the heads using maybe a 3.905 bore and then the larger bores as well.

Obviuosly we would like to get heads from TEA, GTP, PP, Absolute, AFR (fat chance!! lol) and others.

So what do you think guys, you think we could make this work???
Old 01-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Launching!

what would the point be? who has better heads or if they flow as advertised?
Old 01-01-2004, 06:06 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

I think it's a great idea! But total cfm's don't tell all. I would like to see all the mentioned heads on the same car, in the same shop, on the same dyno, with the same cam!! That would be THE best true test. It could be done. I also agree that they should be a real set of heads. ( not a SPECIAL set) Who's game for that? That would end all BS!
Old 01-01-2004, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
what would the point be? who has better heads or if they flow as advertised?
The point is you have an accurate unbiased comparison of the heads to each other on the same flow bench. There probably WON'T flow as advertised since no two flow benches are going to flow exactly the same. As far as who has the BETTER heads, that decision ultimately is still made by the consumer PERCEPTION's of who has the best head. Perception sometimes and reality collide. The tests would provide in effect a reality check IMO. The purpose of the testing would be to provide the raw data. How each of us interprets that data is of course up to us individually.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
I think it's a great idea! But total cfm's don't tell all. I would like to see all the mentioned heads on the same car, in the same shop, on the same dyno, with the same cam!! That would be THE best true test. It could be done. I also agree that they should be a real set of heads. ( not a SPECIAL set) Who's game for that? That would end all BS!
I must agree on that, CFM in a flow bench not telling the full story. High flowing heads can do really bad in "the real life"

Huge high flowing inlet runners without measuring the airspeed can also flow backward.. that will give the engine a pump loss.. The fuel/air will change direction very fast and bounce back and forward inside the runner.

High airspeed will make it harder for the fuelmix to change direction and blow out the same way it came in. The mix will also be in movement even after the piston starting to return up again.

The key is less backpuls and a High velocity port, Not high flowing only
Old 01-01-2004, 06:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoDDy
I must agree on that, CFM in a flow bench not telling the full story. High flowing heads can do really bad in "the real life"

Huge high flowing inlet runners without measuring the airspeed can also flow backward.. that will give the engine a pump loss.. The fuel/air will change direction very fast and bounce back and forward inside the runner.

High airspeed will make it harder for the fuelmix to change direction and blow out the same way it came in. The mix will also be in movement even after the piston starting to return up again.

Interesting, my 9 sec C5 had 5.3 heads with 2.02,1.55 valves, 225cc intake ports and small exhaust ports, I then put a head on with 2.05/1.60 valves 232cc intake ports and huge nitrous exhuast ports and it made 15 lb ft more torque everywhere on motor and 90 RWHP more on the same shot of spray, why did this huge nitrous head make more power on motor, everywhere??
Old 01-01-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

If your into it, then go for it. The data would be intresting. But I think that donated heads are more realistic. Get folks to send you their heads benchmark them and send them back. Make them pay for the shipping, but get your shop guy to give them a good deal on the superflow time. That way you dont have to pay and you get more realistic data IMO. At least this way the data is real world and not the best tricked out heads a vendor has.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Well guys they have an ENGINE dyno as well. The only problem with that is it would cost $100.00 for each time you change the heads out for JUST the gaskits and then you would have to use a new set of torque to yield head bolts for each head change. I could call HOT ROD and see if they would want to participate in this I suppose. I do agree that an ENGINE test would be better than just flowing the heads but then it becomes much more complex.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sr71bb
The point is you have an accurate unbiased comparison of the heads to each other on the same flow bench.
But what is the point of that? All you will discover is who makes the flow bench queen. There are documented cases of heads with less flow producing more HP ...
Old 01-01-2004, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
Interesting, my 9 sec C5 had 5.3 heads with 2.02,1.55 valves, 225cc intake ports and small exhaust ports, I then put a head on with 2.05/1.60 valves 232cc intake ports and huge nitrous exhuast ports and it made 15 lb ft more torque everywhere on motor and 90 RWHP more on the same shot of spray, why did this huge nitrous head make more power on motor, everywhere??
So your setup (cam, headers, tune, etc) liked the larger heads. They might have slowed my 12 second car. Neither of us knows for sure. We can only guess.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

ARP head studs, and 50 bucks a set for feloro head gaskets. It would be a huge pain in the ***. Why would someone ship their heads out at their expense and risk damage to their heads, when they could just flow them localy for 60 bucks.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by strokedls1
ARP head studs, and 50 bucks a set for feloro head gaskets. It would be a huge pain in the ***. Why would someone ship their heads out at their expense and risk damage to their heads, when they could just flow them localy for 60 bucks.
I dunno, how about for the common good of all (LOL)???.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by critter
So your setup (cam, headers, tune, etc) liked the larger heads. They might have slowed my 12 second car. Neither of us knows for sure. We can only guess.
OK guys. Never Mind. I give up on this one!!!
Old 01-01-2004, 07:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by critter
I guess the point that I want to make with that post is this, EVERY TIME I PUT A HIGHER FLOWING HEAD ON A CAR IT MAKES MORE POWER EVERYWHERE. I have put heads on engines that I thought would be way too big and they were awesome. For example, we have 3 CNC programs for these Neal Brodix small block Ford heads, a 279cc,295cc and a 311cc My buddy Sam Vincent has a 440 cu in sbf, he wanted the biggest one for his N2O engine, I thought it would kill the power as these heads were designed for 2200HP turbo engines. On our chassis dyno he put down 700 RWHP ON MOTOR, and 1100 RWHP on the spray. It went 7.80's @ 178, 154 mhp on motor. So if you can make a port bigger AND MAKE IT FLOW MORE AIR, then it will generally make more power.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:11 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

I propsed this idea over a year ago. The problems are vendors not send a set of "ringer" heads, also just getting everyone to agree to send stuff. Also getting someone who knows what they are looking at to make a judgement on whats best. The other problem is not having a shop simply copy the heads. There were numerous issues, and no one was really interested...
Old 01-01-2004, 07:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by sr71bb
OK guys. Never Mind. I give up on this one!!!
Persistence is a virtue, I'll send you a pair of heads, you can flow them and dyno test them.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by J-Rod
I propsed this idea over a year ago. The problems are vendors not send a set of "ringer" heads, also just getting everyone to agree to send stuff. Also getting someone who knows what they are looking at to make a judgement on whats best. The other problem is not having a shop simply copy the heads. There were numerous issues, and no one was really interested...
I can see that now J-Rod. I guess it is a bad idea I suppose because of the issues you just mentioned. Thanks for the feedback/.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:27 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

You know, Mitch just got a set of PP heads. He stated that he wasn"t going to install them right away.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
Well. I guess the heads you using now have a better runners more suited for the CUI and engine rev. Something has changed The larger intake valve maybe give you some mask effect and helping your heads to create a better vortex or tumbling effect inside the cylinder.

You can trick the airflow to flow differently and this way gain some extra power..
Your valves might be bigger and so is the inlet. But it depends on where you have removed the material inside the runner.

Intake generated swirling flow may be created by special designs of intake port or by covering up part of the peripheral valve opening area..
In other words, a tiny change in your head config. can make or break the performance.

What i mean is your heads breathe much better now without loosing the airspeed inside the inlet runner... Next time you remove your heads, try to measure where the port is enlarged? probably itīs enlarged directly under the valve seat In the bowl..
Old 01-01-2004, 08:00 PM
FormerVendor

Well. I guess the heads you using now have a better runners more suited for the CUI and engine rev. Something has changed The larger intake valve maybe give you some mask effect and helping your heads to create a better vortex or tumbling effect inside the cylinder.

You can trick the airflow to flow differently and this way gain some extra power..
Your valves might be bigger and so is the inlet. But it depends on where you have removed the material inside the runner.

Intake generated swirling flow may be created by special designs of intake port or by covering up part of the peripheral valve opening area..
In other words, a tiny change in your head config. can make or break the performance.

What i mean is your heads breathe much better now without loosing the airspeed inside the inlet runner... Next time you remove your heads, try to measure where the port is enlarged? probably itīs enlarged directly under the valve seat In the bowl..
I think you missed the point. We just took part in a dyno test of Ford heads in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magizine and our heads were the highest flowing and they made the most power. You said "high flowing heads can cause bad things in engine" or something like that. The point I was making is you can theorize this stuff to death, but until you get it on the flow bench, dyno and the track, then it is just a buch of BS. Unless a porter has done something "goofy" to make a port flow more air, (like cutting down the short turn of the intake) otherwise it will almost always make more power with more airflow.

Quick Reply: Independent Flow Test of Heads