Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam swap done... BIG PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHERE IS OP? I could never find Waldo either...

I just read through 7 pages of senseless rambling. I need closure for something this lengthy.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:59 AM
On The Tree

HOLY ****! I'm under the hood instead of on the computer for a day or two and this happens lol

OK. so, I got it all apart. Got the valve covers back up and had a friend hand turn the motor while i watched and i just about **** when i saw all my valves trying to go up and down at the same time. (WTF?!) So i looked at the dots and somehow they were now like 8 teeth off (I NEVER EVEN PUT THE KEY IN THE IGNITION SINCE THE LAST POST!). I put my new double roller in (which cleared fine btw) and i got the dots lined up. Had him turn the motor again as i watched, and everything looked fine now. So i threw the timing cover on and hopped in and turned the key. F*#CKIN THING FIRED INSTANTLY. I shut it off real quick, thanked god, and chugged
So i put everthing back together. Did a compression test, and I HAVE CONSISTANT AND GOOD COMPRESSION ALL THE WAY AROUND! Put all the plugs bag in, hopped in to start it, and what do i hear? click.... click.... click... i finally get it to run and my god damn starter ***** the bed. So of course, not having money for a starter and the parts store being closed, we pushed it up the driveway and i rolled back and pop started it. Other than the fact that its running even more rich than it was before the cam swap, its running decent for an untuned ls with a pretty big cam. We played with the throttle cable to get it to stay running because it was too dark to be drilling holes in my tb at that point. Took it for a nice little drive and its doin good. Now i just gotta put a starter in tomorrow (cuz god hates me) and then saturday its gettin tuned
Old 04-02-2010, 06:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 908 Likes on 648 Posts

Good to hear. If GOD hated you, you would have bent all your valves.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

Congrats dude. Glad to hear its all good. As frustrating it gets wrenching at times. Its worth it when it does come together.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prjctSILVERKNIGHTy2k
HOLY ****! I'm under the hood instead of on the computer for a day or two and this happens lol

We played with the throttle cable to get it to stay running because it was too dark to be drilling holes in my tb at that point. Took it for a nice little drive and its doin good. Now i just gotta put a starter in tomorrow (cuz god hates me) and then saturday its gettin tuned
PLEASE PLEASE do not drill your throttle body! That is considered bad Mojo in the tuning world now. There is a torx screw under the throttle stop that you can adjust. This should get you by until you take it to a professional tunner to have it tuned. He can then make adjustments to this as he see fit. If you drill the throttle blade, he can not make the holes smaller.

OH and next time do not leave us kids alone that damn long! Se what happens when you leave us alone like that! We dang near destroyed the hole LS1Tech house!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and very glad to hear you did not damage anything. Now get it tuned, race the hell out of it. I will not be paying for your tickets so keep the fun at the track!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2fast97Z
Your a ******* dipshit. SHUT THE **** UP. OBVIOUSLY you know absolutely nothing about LS Motors considering there is absolutely NO and i mean NO LS motors(that includes LS1,LS2,LS3,LS6,LS9,LQ4,LQ9,etc.) that you pry on ANYTHING to get the belt loose. They are all spring tensioned with 15mm bolt heads that you use a 15MM wrench(correct tools) to untension with a thing called your own hand grabbing on to it.(The A/C belt is a 3/8 ratchet head and is also spring tensioned if you want to start **** about that) And dont even try to pull your dumbass you dont know what your talking about. Im a full time mechanic and work on LS's Constantly. I would love to see merv's("slow") car rape you.
lookiehere dude no need in calling me a dipshit ,iwas trying to explain about the people he was talking about changing an alternator HE did not say what kind of car they were working on,i was just making a suggestion on how and why they might use those tools,anyway i do know that on a ls engine you dont have to pry,i corrected myself on the same reply even said sorry then corrected him on the size of the bolt.AND on a fox body its alot easier to pry on the tensioner with a tire iron or something of that sort to relieve it YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT IF YOUR A MECHANIC.AND THE ONLY REASON I HAD TO PRY ON THE ALTERNATOR IS THAT WAS THE CLOSEST SIZE AUTOZONE HAD AT THE TIME,AND I HAD TO GET IT TO THE HOUSE,IT WAS JUST SHORT ENOUGH WHEN I RELIEVED THE TENSIONER THE BELT WOULD BE A **** HAIR FROM GOING ON THE ALTERNATOR ,SO I HAD TO UNBOLT THE ALTERNATOR WITH THE BELT ON THE PULLEY,THEN PRY THE ALTERNATOR IN PLACE. OH AND ANYWAY HAVE YOU EVER MESSED WITH A V BELT CAR YOU GOT TO PRY ON THE ALTERNATOR TO PUT TENSION ON THE BELT
AND IM NOT TRYING TO START **** LIKE I SAID I WAS THROUGH WITH THIS SILLY ****.and dude what the hell are you talking about the A/C ITS A 15 MM ALSO AND IF YOUR TALKING ABOUT THE ONE RIGHT ABOVE THE A/C ITS A STAR BIT APPLICATION .I THOUGHT YOU WAS A MECHANIC THAT WORKS ON LS ENGINES.DONT START NO **** WONT BE NO ****.

Last edited by Davo346; 04-02-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
****..I can find you 10 Iraqis that can show you where we are on that map..its not a big secret..
Merv, this thread is so full of win. I just want to post ***** in it, but that may get me banned.
I could probably walk outside RIGHT NOW (midnight) and find a haji who could give me grid coordinates to the chow hall. It ain't no secret where **** is in Iraq.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Its only cause they are working the DFACs. That six door Hummer still on the north side of the airfield at Balad? The Air Force brought better looking MWR than the Army.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am not conserned with Haji, but more so for Merv with the brass and sutch. I would hate to see someone get there *** in a crack over something like that. At least they would skin you alive in my day for sutch things. Heck I witnessed a court matial for a guy who forgot to turn on the freaking coffee maker when he finished his shift working the mess decks. Maybe things are better now days.

Just trying to look out for a fellow service man.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Most of the 'hajis' that work in the chow hall are Indians mang. But, a lot of TCNs eat at the chow hall.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, OPSEC is some **** mang. Gotta be real careful what you say anywhere, anytime these days. They can fry you for just about anything.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK. so, I got it all apart. Got the valve covers back up and had a friend hand turn the motor while i watched and i just about **** when i saw all my valves trying to go up and down at the same time. (WTF?!) So i looked at the dots and somehow they were now like 8 teeth off (I NEVER EVEN PUT THE KEY IN THE IGNITION SINCE THE LAST POST!). I put my new double roller in (which cleared fine btw) and i got the dots lined up. Had him turn the motor again as i watched, and everything looked fine now. So i threw the timing cover on and hopped in and turned the key. F*#CKIN THING FIRED INSTANTLY. I shut it off real quick, thanked god, and chugged
So i put everthing back together. Did a compression test, and I HAVE CONSISTANT AND GOOD COMPRESSION ALL THE WAY AROUND! Put all the plugs bag in, hopped in to start it, and what do i hear? click.... click.... click... i finally get it to run and my god damn starter ***** the bed. So of course, not having money for a starter and the parts store being closed, we pushed it up the driveway and i rolled back and pop started it. Other than the fact that its running even more rich than it was before the cam swap, its running decent for an untuned ls with a pretty big cam. We played with the throttle cable to get it to stay running because it was too dark to be drilling holes in my tb at that point. Took it for a nice little drive and its doin good. Now i just gotta put a starter in tomorrow (cuz god hates me) and then saturday its gettin tuned
Glad to hear you got out of it without any lasting damage...god must not hate you at all...I'm pretty sure any of the rest of us would have bent valves lol.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahah this threads a failure..
Old 04-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Your friend is wrong, the injectors are fine=-) like everyone else on says" check the timing".

will somebody tell me how to get my mod list and pic of car, when i post something. thanks=-)
Old 05-11-2010, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

your friend doesnt know a whole lot.i have stock injectors and a MS3 cam and my car runs good, so check the chain! good luck!
Old 05-12-2010, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

so i got my baseline tune. drove for a couple weeks. I drove 18 miles on 20 bucks and was on E. I was on my way to go play some pool and it started random misfiring but only threw a code for tps high voltage. It hasnt run since. My plugs were beyond black. changed em and it ran for a second and quit. FML
Old 05-12-2010, 02:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why just a baseline tune? why not the full deal? If you couldnt afford the tune itself....why do the cam itself?

you also need long tubes to take advantage of the cam. SOund slike your not very knowledgeable and need to do more research before you spend money.A cam that size with that much duration on the exhaust side is gonna run shitty when its trying to push that much air through stock manifolds.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1nut377
your friend doesnt know a whole lot.i have stock injectors and a MS3 cam and my car runs good, so check the chain! good luck!
Just because it runs doesn't mean it's good and that you're not overtaxing the injectors. Only way to make this statement is to know the IDC.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Resident

thank god. I dont have money for injectors right now. lol
He said that the stock ones will be maxed out and still not enough for my cam.
I'm gonna try switching the coil packs first and try it and if it doesnt fire i'll tear it back down to the chain.

How do you adjust the tension on the timing chain? I dont think theres supposed to be that much slack in it..

No that is stupid, I just installed my MS3 this weekend and it runs fine w/ stock injectors!!!!!

GET A NEW LS2 TIMING CHAIN FROM TEXAS SPEED FOR $40.00

sorry about the caps lol.

man that sucks to have to rip that all apart again for a $40 part. best of luck!

Quick Reply: cam swap done... BIG PROBLEMS