Sponsored by:

Bearing choice for lq4

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing choice for lq4

Hey guys,

I got a question I need answered so I can build my motor. Im building a s480 turboed lq4 but I am using the stock crankshaft. Is it ok to use the King xp racing bearings on my car? It will see time on the street and I am hoping it will be close to 800+ hp.

I heard that the bearings are too hard and could potentially eat my crank.
I also see that they are designed for racing so I am wondering if they will be ok on the street.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-19-2016, 08:57 PM
Teching In

anybody?
Old 09-19-2016, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

IMO if you want mileage- 150k or something (daily driver) I would use an OEM bearing... Or at least use a tight clearance and keep RPM to a minimum (around OEM redline is fine). By keeping tight clearances, using light oils, and RPM in check, you can use alot of OEM parts that will help keep a reliable engine.

If this is a race engine and only needs to go 8k or something... then it matters alot less, use whatever you want
Old 09-19-2016, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Mileage is not a huge concern as I will be building another motor as the funds permit later this summer. Also I do not plan on revving it past 6500 because of the SBE.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't want too tight of clearances with a turbo build. Turbo'd motors break down the motor oil a lot faster than na builds, so you'll be changing the oil a lot if you run thinner oil. A lot of people run shell rotella 15-40 on turbo builds.

I honestly don't know if the xp's would be good or bad to be honest with you. I can tell you that my buddy has about 6k miles on his set. He broke a ringland around 4k miles and when he changed the piston, the bearings looked brand new still. He's only around 675-700rwhp though, but it's on a stock crank. I'm also running the xp bearings and so far so good. We are both only shifting around 6000rpms though.

I was actually just doing some reading on the HP and XP king bearings. They say the HP's are supposedly for boosted applications, but they say they're geared more for track runs and maybe shirt circle track intervals. So I'm kind of curious of what everyone will say about those bearings too. I was kind of curious when I read up on them about using them with stock cranks.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
I wouldn't want too tight of clearances with a turbo build. Turbo'd motors break down the motor oil a lot faster than na builds, so you'll be changing the oil a lot if you run thinner oil. A lot of people run shell rotella 15-40 on turbo builds.
Not saying what is right or wrong, but consider this. Since 1989, Nissan and Toyota have produced turbo engines which see 200,000+ Miles using a 0.0008" (yes, 8 tenths of a thousandth) of clearance in the rod bearings and produce over 100horsepower/Liter. They see regular oil changes and maintenance like any other engine and last as long.

Furthermore, Mazworx, a well known engine building / car racing company admits:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady
Your measurement is fine, and you do not need any extra clearance than what you have already. The "extra clearance for extra power" mentality is dated. With today's machining capabilities and oil technology that practice isn't needed. All of our engines at the shop are built to FSM spec whether it's a 200hp stock rebuild or a 1400hp drag engine.
http://zilvia.net/f/showpost.php?p=6080003&postcount=2
Old 09-20-2016, 01:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
Not saying what is right or wrong, but consider this. Since 1989, Nissan and Toyota have produced turbo engines which see 200,000+ Miles using a 0.0008" (yes, 8 tenths of a thousandth) of clearance in the rod bearings and produce over 100horsepower/Liter. They see regular oil changes and maintenance like any other engine and last as long.

I understand what you're saying and I'm sure certain builds need tighter clearances. But turbo cars usually run thicker oil because the added heat breaks it down much faster. So you don't want real tight oil clearances while running thick oil. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but from what I've seen, when people build their motors for boost vs junkyard throw-ins, they don't want real tight clearances.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:14 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Is that guy building turbocharged V8's?

Don't compare inline Japanese 4 cylinder engines to pushrod V8's.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS

No.

He wishes he was.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KCS

Don't compare inline Japanese 4 cylinder engines to pushrod V8's.
hey hey now. I come in peace. They build all kinds of stuff, some of it in the 1000hp/liter range. They have all their own machine shop and produce billet blocks on a CNC machine for example.

I think it matters more about how you build the engine and how you machine and modify the block for racing preparation, rather than the number of cylinder it has. Its not like the journals of the 6 cylinder engines are a different kind of round shape than the journals of an eight.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:51 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

hey hey now. I come in peace. They build all kinds of stuff, some of it in the 1000hp/liter range. They have all their own machine shop and produce billet blocks on a CNC machine for example.

I think it matters more about how you build the engine and how you machine and modify the block for racing preparation, rather than the number of cylinder it has. Its not like the journals of the 6 cylinder engines are a different kind of round shape than the journals of an eight.
I'm just saying, you're talking oranges when everyone is talking apples. Those smaller inline engines have short stroke single plane cranks, and end up being more rigid than the cross plane V8 cranks.

I'd have to see a 1200hp drag engine survive with .0008" oil clearance to believe it. The big power LS engines I've seen like that so far all ruin bearings and seize up.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:01 PM
Teching In

I honestly don't know if the xp's would be good or bad to be honest with you. I can tell you that my buddy has about 6k miles on his set. He broke a ringland around 4k miles and when he changed the piston, the bearings looked brand new still. He's only around 675-700rwhp though, but it's on a stock crank. I'm also running the xp bearings and so far so good. We are both only shifting around 6000rpms though.

I was actually just doing some reading on the HP and XP king bearings. They say the HP's are supposedly for boosted applications, but they say they're geared more for track runs and maybe shirt circle track intervals. So I'm kind of curious of what everyone will say about those bearings too. I was kind of curious when I read up on them about using them with stock cranks.
That is what I wanted to hear! Thanks man I appreciate it.

On a side note, I contacted King Bearings (VIA phone) and the technician said that I should definitely run the XP bearing even on the stock crankshaft. He just said to make sure that I keep it very clean and that I make sure the oil level never gets low. Also, he said to make sure I run main studs and have it align honed after to make sure I dont have problems later on. They were very helpful and I would recommend them if you have any other questions.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by oreobadr
That is what I wanted to hear! Thanks man I appreciate it.

On a side note, I contacted King Bearings (VIA phone) and the technician said that I should definitely run the XP bearing even on the stock crankshaft. He just said to make sure that I keep it very clean and that I make sure the oil level never gets low. Also, he said to make sure I run main studs and have it align honed after to make sure I dont have problems later on. They were very helpful and I would recommend them if you have any other questions.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up. Also, most people run 6-6½ quarts of oil in their turbo builds. I actually run 6½ or a little more with the truck filter on mine with no problems. Good luck on the build man, it should run pretty good
Old 09-21-2016, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Good to know, thanks for the heads up. Also, most people run 6-6½ quarts of oil in their turbo builds. I actually run 6½ or a little more with the truck filter on mine with no problems. Good luck on the build man, it should run pretty good
thats good to know. what kind of oil would be best? it should be a quick lil guy lol I'm sure you will hear more of me.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by oreobadr
thats good to know. what kind of oil would be best? it should be a quick lil guy lol I'm sure you will hear more of me.
There's different preferences for everyone, but my buddies all run shell rotella. I've read on here that quite a few guys run it too and I honestly thought he was pulling my leg about it until I started reading up on it. I'm sure there's better stuff out there to run, but it is dirt cheap and seems to work fine, so I'm going to keep running it lol. I usually change my oil about every 1500 miles though.

Quick Reply: Bearing choice for lq4