Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i dropped a bolt in the oil pan!!!!!!!!!1

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fjb78
The same thing happened to me. I was stupid enough to drop it twice. The first time I was able to get it right out with a flexible magnet, but the second time it rolled all the back passenger corner. I unbolted the oil pan, took out the sensor in the side and also tried to get it out of the drain plug with no luck. After about 3 days of trying and getting frustrated, my son was able to get it with a long magnet. It was stuck on the top of the windage tray. When I finally got it out, I mtied string around the bolt and put rags in the pan so it would not happen again. Good luck, with patience you will get it out.
was this an f-body? because if it was i dont see how it would get stuck on the windage tray. considering about half the tray is cut off to clear the shallow part of the pan.

Ive been out there trying for about 2 hours with a flexible magnet and a small flash light and nothing. Ive put the magnet all the way down by the actual screen and still nothing, im starting to consider just leaving it in there and getting another bolt
Old 04-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

i got it... thanks for the help guys
Old 04-01-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Allright! Now grab a beer, should be smooth sailing from here.....just make sure the oil pump o-ring seats properly.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

USE FISHING LINE ON THE BOLT IN CASE YOU DROP IT!!!!

It really does work... I droped my bolt twice trying to get it in and quickly recovered it because of the line tied to the bolt!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Good job man! knew ya could do it!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jcuadra
i got it... thanks for the help guys
How did you get it?

I was out working on my motor tonight and I tried the bolt threw the drain hole, no go. I did think it would.

Glad you got it out. And I bet you don't do that again with out a rag in there to catch it lol.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

i was trying all morning with a small flash light and a long flexible magnet. the bolt was on the right side of the pan right near the drain hole all the way at the bottom of the pan... yea i wont do that again
Old 04-02-2010, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one fall off on me in my 98 z28 I owned a long time ago, Did it outside in the 22 degree weather, Fingers went numb dropped the bolt, Fished for about 30 minutes an said screw it. t still running great, The bolt is too heavy to get sucked up into the pump or it the crank, Itll be fine leave it in there if you cant fish it out.

Quick Reply: i dropped a bolt in the oil pan!!!!!!!!!1