Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i dropped a bolt in the oil pan!!!!!!!!!1

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i dropped a bolt in the oil pan!!!!!!!!!1

so im finishing my cam swap and a start putting the new oil pump on when i try to put on the little bolt for the pick up tube, my finger slips and i drop it in the pan and i hear it roll all the way down..
so my question is how the f*ck do i get it out, ive been trying to use a magnet for about an hour now and nothing.. is it possible to remove the sensor that is on the passenger side of the pan and try through there? im pissed and i dont know what to do..
Old 03-31-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

pull the oil pan? might be your only option. Every time I have done a gen 3 oil pump I put a rag in the front of the pan to stop the bolt if I drop it. The most important part in doing that is to remember to remove the rag before bolting up the pan.

I would keep trying the magnet. Maybe try a stronger magnet?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

what would happen if i were to just leave it in there and get another bolt????? i mean ls1's do have a windage tray and there is a screen on th pick up tube.. let me know if this is a bad idea
Old 03-31-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did that maybe 3 times, but got it out with a flexible pen magnet after just a few minutes. Maybe I was lucky.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DaveX
I did that maybe 3 times, but got it out with a flexible pen magnet after just a few minutes. Maybe I was lucky.
the front of my car is jacked way up in the air so im pretty sure the bolt rolled back as far as possible
Old 03-31-2010, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try taking the drain plug out and fishing for it through there.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dropped a bolt in the pan before, And i took a strong magnet and put it on the bottom of the pan and pulled the magnet across the pan to the drain plug hole and pulled it out.I used a magnet out of a old car speaker.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

so the bolt DOES fit through the drain hole.. i was going to try that but i didnt think the bolt would fit through there
Old 03-31-2010, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jcuadra
so the bolt DOES fit through the drain hole.. i was going to try that but i didnt think the bolt would fit through there
I didn't think it would fit either.

I like RandyWS6's idea. You need to know what the inside of the pan looks like so you can navigate around the walls in there.

Or keep it jacked way up in the front to get the bolt to roll to the back of the pan and fish it out with a good flexable magnet.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont see why it wont ,its a very small bolt, BUT if it will not fit, Hold the bolt at the plug hole and pull the low oil sensor float out behind the starter and run a flex magnet across the inside of the pan to the plug hole and pull it out there. The bolt should come out the drain hole
Old 03-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Don't listen to these guys! i was in your same shoes when i did my first cam and it will not fit through the drain plug hole! I took the sensor out on the passenger side its a hell of alot easier than dropping the pan! trust me from your exact experience!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

well i guess ill try to find a "good flexible magnet" tomorrow and try both the sensor hole and the drain hole and see if i have any luck. ill keep you guys posted
Old 04-01-2010, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

it's definitely worth the time fishing for the bolt compared to dropping the pan... which would require you to unbolt your entire k-member and front suspension
Old 04-01-2010, 08:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My buddy with an 04 GTO dropped his oil pump bolt in his oil pan. He said screw it and left the bolt in the pan and got a new bolt. 5,000 + miles later no problems at all, and he told me the bolt is still in there lol. I don't recommend it though.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

I was recommended NOT to remove the sensor on the side of the oil pan, they are very expensive to replace if you break it. Take a breather and keep fishing with a magnet, get a flexy magnet that will curve with the pan. I used a coat hanger with a magent JB welded at the end to grab my screw when I dropped it. Are you positive it rolled all the way to the back, it might be wedged up towars the front by the pick-up tube. Keep trying and be patient with it, we all feel your pain bro, good luck.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

well when it fell i heard a roll then a thud(when it fell into the deeper part of th pan) then it rolled some more and then i heard another thud so im pretty sure it rolled al the way back
Old 04-01-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

well IF it were me... the bolt isnt gonna be sucked up and theres no way its going to restrict flow. if you cant get it i wouldnt kill myself over it if it were me... as long as its not sitting on the windage tray id consider just leaving it lol... that bolt is a bitch to install... almost impossible to get the threads started. but next time take a few seconds and put a rag in the pan to keep this from happening again...

I had a saturn motor that pieces of the plastic chain guides disintegrated into the oil pan. I needed to fix the timing chain quick as it was a DD and i didnt have time to drop the pan and k member. it was fine... lol not proud of it but i needed it running...haha

Last edited by got-a-ls1; 04-01-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:26 PM
9 Second Club

Put the car on jack stands with supports underneath so it doesnt fall. Unblolt the motor mount on one side then take the bolts out of the kmember to where they almost come out. then just jack one side of the motor up. and the oil pan will come off.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

The same thing happened to me. I was stupid enough to drop it twice. The first time I was able to get it right out with a flexible magnet, but the second time it rolled all the back passenger corner. I unbolted the oil pan, took out the sensor in the side and also tried to get it out of the drain plug with no luck. After about 3 days of trying and getting frustrated, my son was able to get it with a long magnet. It was stuck on the top of the windage tray. When I finally got it out, I mtied string around the bolt and put rags in the pan so it would not happen again. Good luck, with patience you will get it out.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:27 PM
...with cheese.

Pen magnet is your best bet right now

Quick Reply: i dropped a bolt in the oil pan!!!!!!!!!1