Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Cams rocker arm trunion upgrade!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by squirts11
What is the added benefit of the flat washer that comes with the Harland Sharp kit?
It keeps the needle bearings contained in the event of a failure.

Last edited by bearcatt; 04-20-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how high are you guys spining these with them?
Old 04-20-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do all the LSx engines have needle bearing rockers?
Old 04-20-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they sure do....
Old 04-20-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian@SpectacleSolutions
they sure do....
Thanks, I'll be PM'ing you about an order later tonight.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bearcatt

I was under the impression that the upgrade totally eliminated needle bearings with a different style of bearing.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm.

Could someone comment on whether or not the additional $$$ Harland Sharp charges for the flat washers and snap rings is worth it (when comparing to the Comp trunion upgrade)?
Old 04-20-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

While needle bearings and roller bearings are similar the needle bearing is open on one or two sides and only held by a cage where a roller bearing is held by a middle cage and an inner and outer casing. while needle bearings are just that they look like needles. Roller bearings can be made out of ball, needle, or any type of bearing as long as it is encased thus "rolling" on the casing.

Roller bearing

Needle Bearing

Hence as you can see the is greater ability to loose a needle bearing than there ever be of loosing a bearing out of a roller bearing. Also you can see the where the rocker is making contact directly with the bearing itself in the needle bearing where the rocker on the roller bearing is actually moving on the casing itself. Therefore failure being less likely with a roller bearing than with a needle bearing set up.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

It keeps the needle bearings contained in the event of a failure. .
http://www.compcams.com/information/...yID=1508422545

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, the new design doesn't seem to use needle bearings.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

^^Exactly what I was thinking. I was almost positive I had read & heard that they stopped using the needle bearings & went to roller bearings. As 02*C5 posted
Old 04-20-2010, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comp even says, "caged roller bearings" right in that .pdf
Old 04-20-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow look at all the quotes.

Sorry for the delay guys, I was out in the field today.

I'm going to try to clear up the confusion.

Buckle your seat belts.

Below is a thread about the older caged bearings that harland sharp was using. As you will see the older caged bearings were causing scoring issues on the trunion itself.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cs-inside.html

I myself was unlucky enough to purchase a set of Harland rebuild rockers with the older style caged bearings. I never had issues because I didn't have them on long enough.

Rather then send the rockers back to Harland sharp ( because I was kind of pissed at the time. ) I decided to buy the Comp trunion upgrades about 6 months ago. These were a brand new item from Comp at the time. I wonder if they are made by the same company.

When I received the kit I noticed they didn't have the washers like the Harland sharps did and still do. So basically the Comp vs Harland kits look identicle other then the lack of washers on the Comp kit.

Both the Comp and Harland newer style bearings have a lot more needles bearings in them with nothing but the outter race and trunion to keep them in place. Since I had all the little thin washers from my old Harland Sharp rockers, I used those when I installed the Comp trunion kit.

I see those washers as an additional safety measure in an attempt to keep those tiny needle bearings contained in the event of a bearing-case or trunion failure. Plus you won't have the retaining clip against the bearing shell itself.

Last edited by bearcatt; 04-20-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Well damn.

My plan was to assemble a stout setup when I really tear into the motor next month. Rod bolts/trunion upgrade, dual springs, etc. I'm on the fence now as to whether I should go with the Comp upgrade, the Harland Sharp upgrade (which is considerably more expensive - even the DIY), or just stick with the stock-style rockers (I'd prefer to upgrade, but don't plan to shell out $400+ for new rocker arms entirely).
Old 04-20-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by squirts11
Well damn.

My plan was to assemble a stout setup when I really tear into the motor next month. Rod bolts/trunion upgrade, dual springs, etc. I'm on the fence now as to whether I should go with the Comp upgrade, the Harland Sharp upgrade (which is considerably more expensive - even the DIY), or just stick with the stock-style rockers (I'd prefer to upgrade, but don't plan to shell out $400+ for new rocker arms entirely).
The Comp DIY is a good deal. You might be able to find some thin hardened washers somewhere online for a good price. Just measure the trunion diameter and figure what size you might need.

Another thing about the Comp upgrade is that it doesn't come shipped with the rocker arm bolts either. You can use the stock bolts. With the Harland upgrade the stock rocker bolts wont fit.

EDIT: Brian from SpectacleSolutions has them with rocker bolts.

The rockers that are real popular on here are the Yella Terras.
A little pricey though.

Also for valve springs.

The PAC nitrided beehives are supposed to be the big buzz.

http://www.corvettefever.com/techart...nfo/index.html

Plus dual springs get noisy when they expand from the heat.
They drove me nuts when I had them.

Last edited by bearcatt; 04-20-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:44 PM

Another thing about the Comp upgrade is that it doesn't come shipped with the rocker arm bolts either. You can use the stock bolts. With the Harland upgrade the stock rocker bolts wont fit.

The Comp kit DOES come with new upgraded bolts.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Comp kit DOES come with new upgraded bolts.

That's good to know. Mine didn't but I purchased them when they first came out.

I edited my post above

Last edited by bearcatt; 04-20-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:54 PM

I see no need for the washer. The needle bearing wont simply come out of this type of cased bearing. If it does.... you have oiling issues....
Old 04-20-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Wow look at all the quotes.

Sorry for the delay guys, I was out in the field today.

I'm going to try to clear up the confusion.

Buckle your seat belts.

Below is a thread about the older caged bearings that harland sharp was using. As you will see the older caged bearings were causing scoring issues on the trunion itself.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cs-inside.html

I myself was unlucky enough to purchase a set of Harland rebuild rockers with the older style caged bearings. I never had issues because I didn't have them on long enough.

Rather then send the rockers back to Harland sharp ( because I was kind of pissed at the time. ) I decided to buy the Comp trunion upgrades about 6 months ago. These were a brand new item from Comp at the time. I wonder if they are made by the same company.

When I received the kit I noticed they didn't have the washers like the Harland sharps did and still do. So basically the Comp vs Harland kits look identicle other then the lack of washers on the Comp kit.

Both the Comp and Harland newer style bearings have a lot more needles bearings in them with nothing but the outter race and trunion to keep them in place. Since I had all the little thin washers from my old Harland Sharp rockers, I used those when I installed the Comp trunion kit.

I see those washers as an additional safety measure in an attempt to keep those tiny needle bearings contained in the event of a bearing-case or trunion failure. Plus you won't have the retaining clip against the bearing shell itself.

So comp is lying and they have to be called out because a true "roller bearing" as they state they use will never be open like this. This comes from am man that has had his nose to the use of bearings for the last 38 years my dad. I contacted him because he is the closest professional I know in this area and I wanted to be right not misinform. He informed me that what is on the other thread is an encased needle bearing not a roller bearing in any way shape or form.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02*C5
So comp is lying and they have to be called out because a true "roller bearing" as they state they use will never be open like this. This comes from am man that has had his nose to the use of bearings for the last 38 years my dad. I contacted him because he is the closest professional I know in this area and I wanted to be right not misinform. He informed me that what is on the other thread is an encased needle bearing not a roller bearing in any way shape or form.

This is a fairly new product from Comp. I think it's just a lack of understanding or perhaps ignorance on thier part. They should be made aware. They need to cross the " t "s and dot the " i "s on this matter.

I've had mine on for about six months... so far so good.
I do have a mild cam and plus I don't drive to often or real hard.
If someone revs hard and fast all the time, that might be a different.
In my case, I think they should be ok.

I see no need for the washer. The needle bearing wont simply come out of this type of cased bearing. If it does.... you have oiling issues....
But... could it hurt to have them ?

Old 04-21-2010, 12:04 AM

No need to throw Comp under the bus on the wording. A needle bearing IS a roller bearing. That would be like saying a ball bearing isn't a roller bearing. They are both roller bearings, just different types. This type of bearing just uses the trunion as the inner race. Just like a roller cam bearing.... its needle bearings also....

Quick Reply: Comp Cams rocker arm trunion upgrade!!!