Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rollmaster / JWIS / IWIS / ROLON explained >

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004 | 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Rollmaster / JWIS / IWIS / ROLON explained >

A bunch of you folks are confused as to what and who makes these aftermarket timing chains (single or double).

Well, your factory stock GM chain is made in England by Renold.

If you purchase a "Red Label Premium" Rollmaster Timing Set, the timing gears will be made by Rollmaster (subsididary of Romac) in Australia, and the chain will be a JWIS chain, made by Iwis Ketten in Germany.

If you buy the cheaper "Blue Label Economy" Rollmaster Timing Set, the gears will also be the same Rollmaster gears, but the chain will be the cheaper Rolon chain made in India.

Rollmaster DOES NOT manufacture any chain.

If you are planning on purchasing a "Rollmaster" timing set from SLP or someone else that does not state whether or not the timing set is the "Rollmaster Red" or "Rollmaster Blue Label", then you need to ask them if the links on the chain have JWIS or Rolon stamped in them.

If you purchase some other brand of timing set such as a Cloyes, I don't have a clue where the timing gears or the chain is sourced from.

Hope this helps
Ron,

Last edited by Tin Indian; 01-07-2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-07-2004 | 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

and I will ad this effective Jan. 1 Rollmaster has a silver set and that is what comes with the Iwis german chain. Also those sets will be nitrided. Iwis chain is the best made since the chain is pre-stretched in assembled pieces; ie a 58link set for SB Ford and Chevy is stretched and oil quenched. All other chain companies pre-stretch entire runs of chain, not as accurate. Rollmaster has the exclusive distributor ship of Iwis chain in double roller form to North and South America.

Chris
Old 01-07-2004 | 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

great info
Old 01-07-2004 | 01:57 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

whats the real world difference. i have the "cheaper" rollmaster adj. double and its a fine piece and has held up great.
Old 01-07-2004 | 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
whats the real world difference. i have the "cheaper" rollmaster adj. double and its a fine piece and has held up great.

I doubt that there is anything wrong at all with the Rolon chain. I started this thread because of all the confusion I see here regarding these Rollmaster threads. I did state that the Rollmaster Timing Sets with the supplied Rolon chain are sold at a cheaper price than the sets with the IWIS chain. However, I did not say they were inferior.

This is from the Rolon (LGB/India) web site:

L. G. Balakrishnan & Bros Ltd (LGB), one of the largest industrial groups in South India was established way back in 1937. Since then we have come a long way, keeping in pace with the technological advancements and meeting our customer needs with newer & innovative solutions. Today, LGB stands proud as the premier manufacturer of both automotive and industrial chains under the brand name ‘ROLON’. The company has five chain manufacturing plants all ISO 9001 certified by Underwriters Laboratories Inc U.S.A. One of the manufacturing facilities along with central functions has been accredited with QS 9000 by UL, USA.

The first chain manufacturer in India to be awarded the ISO 9001 certification.

Technology upgradation done on a regular basis to stay in tune with the latest trends worldwide.

On-going training programmes to update information and processes

Zero defect production capabilities

Product acceptance both here in India and Abroad

BTW .. I went surfing through there site, and my Noton Anti-Virus picked up a Trogan virus on it. I would not go there and look for the LGB link to automotive timing chains.

Last edited by Tin Indian; 01-07-2004 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-07-2004 | 02:21 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

good info. so is there a price difference between the IWIS and the Rolon chain? i picked up my chain from TSP about 3 months ago for 75 bucks, at that price it couldnt be beat. then later on i read about the differences in the chain manufactures.

just for future sake would you have to call up a sponsor and ask them to physically open a box and see which chain it is?
Old 01-07-2004 | 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes you would have to call. Right now till all the inventory is relabled and shipped you could have an old Red set with Iwis or it may have rolon. Rollmaster is currently working with Iwis on a new improved chain but will not be ready for release until 2005. I can tell you as someone who has worked for the largest customer of Precision Cam Drives and now has the product lines again to sell to WDs and personally sold 1000's of sets to WD customers accross the states and Canada the product is top notch no matter what level of product you buy including the dampners.

Chris
Stef's Performance Products
B&B Performance Products
Stef's Performance Products
Old 01-07-2004 | 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs down

The SLP chain is Rolon. Now somebody explain to me why in the hell SLP is able to add a 75% mark up and still give you the cheaper chain and sell the Rollmaster with their damn name. They should reverse their name to PLS (Performance Legal for Suckers)
Old 01-07-2004 | 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would venture to guess SLP was not told there had been a chain switch. Iwis some time ago had decided not to make the dual roller chain anymore, Rollmaster tried to convince them but they were not going to do it, low volume for them. Well after about six months someone figured out that the Rollmaster account was very profitable and that they should start making chain for them again. So as one of 5 MWD in the country it was each of ours responsibility to tell our customers. I would venture to say theirs did not.

Chris
Old 01-07-2004 | 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

ya i have the slp one with the roland blue chain im sure it will be fine for my car

i got it months ago so whatever
Old 01-08-2004 | 05:06 AM
TECH Regular

FYI:

My Comp timing set came with a JWIS chain, and a friend of mine's Cloyes timing set came with a JWIS chain..
Old 02-03-2004 | 01:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
good info. so is there a price difference between the IWIS and the Rolon chain? i picked up my chain from TSP about 3 months ago for 75 bucks, at that price it couldnt be beat. then later on i read about the differences in the chain manufactures.

just for future sake would you have to call up a sponsor and ask them to physically open a box and see which chain it is?
I called Speed inc for a Rollmaster for my girlfriend and asked them to open the box and read the name on the chain...they came back and said they could not see one......so I had her go ahead and get it......
We opened the box and looked at the chain and lo and behold, Rolon was clearly visable on the chain
Old 02-07-2004 | 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck trying to locate a Red Label Jwis set.
Neither SDPC or SLP has them.

SDPC will act ignorant and give you a hard time.
Real ******* over there. Forget his name.
This is from 4 months back. *****.
Old 02-07-2004 | 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

sooo,is the Rolon chain ok or should you call for a JWIS ???

Quick Reply: Rollmaster / JWIS / IWIS / ROLON explained >