Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help / input for New springs/ret/locks on LS1 for 1.8 RRs....

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
Remember I'm not making the argument of Cam vs Rocker ratio. Lets look at the cost/hp ratio between my options.

Cam (something mild and streetable) say 50 hp max. $54 / hp

10 hp with rockers = $40/hp

win in my book if it gains more than 6 hp.
hp/dollar makes no sense....look at total per HP.

400 bucks can get you a lot more power spent elsewhere....**** 100 bucks on a tune will net you more than 6hp.

what mods do you have now? before the rockers and such?

im not trying to be an *******, im trying to save you money and headaches later on down the road.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

also...i know you said shops in Canada want 2700 bucks to do a cam install, but if you read up on here and spend some time, you can have a good streetable cam springs and pushrods for less than 500 bucks and install it yourself. if you can do rockers and springs on the car, you can do a cam. hell, once you do all you plan to do, your already half way to a cam swap as far as work is concerned.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya. I've never actually pulled heads etc on my own. Had my hand in it but only at a shoppe where they have access to all the tools.

Bottom line to be totaly honest is I wanted to freshen springs. I picked up rockers cheap because I had money sitting in my paypal account. With my 8000 rpm no expense lt4 motor being built in the side I can't afford any downtime in the daily driver and I also can't show the wifey I'm starting tospend money on it.

Mods when done will be lts, mag high flow cats, corsa, k&n, SLP lid& bellows, 1.8 rrs. That's pretty much it.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If they were cheap and you gain a few hp it may not be a bad mod to try. If they don't work out and the purchase price was cheap enough you can always sell them and call it a day.

I tried them as well and was unimpressed. I then went with their 1.7 rockers and was similarly unimpressed. I also found they had a very wide wipe pattern that couldn't be corrected like the narrow pattern I have with my Yella Terra's. The studs were a pain in the butt as well and I could never break the polylock free so the whole stud came out every time I tried to remove the rockers.

I hope you have better luck with them then I had. Athough the guy I sold them to seems to like them as they seem to work well for him. Go figure.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

I'm not expecting any noticeable improvement but with longtubes , Hugh flow cats and a 3" ory, valvesprings and the rockers all done at the same time I'll be expecting a refreshed and slightly snappier top end than what I have now. I'm certain new springs will wake the motor up a bit because of the mileage.

So I ended up ordering the exact crane pushrods in 7.250, and comp revised behives the 26918. Will stock locks and retainers be reuseable? I'm wondering if they're normally replaced or reused in this situation???
Old 04-28-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
So I ended up ordering the exact crane pushrods in 7.250, and comp revised behives the 26918. Will stock locks and retainers be reuseable? I'm wondering if they're normally replaced or reused in this situation???
anyone??
Old 04-28-2010, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

i could see it being a problem, just from wear and tear, but then again, once you add in stock locks and retainers, its not that much. and your freshening up the valvetrain, you may as well do it right.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

How much do locks & retainers cost?
Old 04-29-2010, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

call Jon @ texas speed. he should be able to hook you up with what you need at a reasonable price.

www.texas-speed.com
Old 04-29-2010, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see why it's that big of deal .... I have seen plenty of people go with bigger ratio rr and be satisfied .... Mostly people I've seen like them were on LT1s but I don't see why the LS1 wouldn't also take advantage of a little extra lift and less friction in the valve train as long as it doesn't effect geometry in the valve train. Sure the gains may be smaller than expected on a stock car but every hp counts in the end when the op has more mods. I am honestly not sure if the locks and retainers are re usable let me know how they go though I also have been considering rr's even though many like to bash the mod
Old 04-30-2010, 04:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally, I would inspect the retainers and re-use them. They are hardened steel and have better service life then titanium which for a street car are a wear item (they may need replacing once in a while). For the locks, I would go with a machined lock rather then the stock unit.

So, stock retainers with machined locks would be my approach.