Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM wants to replace my pistons and rings

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pushinfreight
I had only 9k on mine when the oil pump went and after 33 days and 15 phone calls the dealership received a new LS6 engine to put back in my car. They told me that no LS1 blocks were left and it was going to be more cost effective for them to use the LS6. Everything looks the same to me so I am not sure. I did get to speak to the regional rep and after pounding on him they replaced the motor over the rebuild. keep bitching we pay too much to have it done half assed.
How did you get to talk to the regional rep? They won't even tell me who the regional is.

That is my point ... I too want it done right and not a bandage fix.

Thanks for your reply
Old 01-16-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't get it...My 99' has well over 110,000 miles and until the car got totaled due to a stupid trucker the thing NEVER spit oil, or had bad piston slap...Only thing I can do is guess my **** approach to driving and car care helped.

6qts of Royal Purple 10w40 in the summer and 10w30 in the winters....
Mobil 1 Oil Filter....
let the car warm up for at least 5 min before she left the driveway....
*shrug*....and this was on a motor that had 20+ bottle of Nitrous thru it and MTI Stg 2 Heads and X1 cam...

Could it be people just crank these cars up and go...no warm up time...rev them to their limits everyday...hell my car never saw redline unless i was at the track or making money on the streets. :-)

When u get ur new motor...be careful w/it...
Old 01-16-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I pounded on the owner of the dealership till he told me who it was. Actually I made a scene on how the peole who were selling the car did not know what they were selling and that got his attention real quick. Then I called my company contact for fleet vehicles with GM at my company at the time and received a number and I call HQ every day till I got to the regional rep. I would start with the owner of the dealership not the manager. Call customer service and make complaints too, I have an extended warrienty on my car that started in 2002 and it is a 2001. Just keep complaining, it is a known problem and the dealer will not like you calling all the time. There should also be a regional office you can call.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JoSeY
i don't get it...My 99' has well over 110,000 miles and until the car got totaled due to a stupid trucker the thing NEVER spit oil, or had bad piston slap...Only thing I can do is guess my **** approach to driving and car care helped.

6qts of Royal Purple 10w40 in the summer and 10w30 in the winters....
Mobil 1 Oil Filter....
let the car warm up for at least 5 min before she left the driveway....
*shrug*....and this was on a motor that had 20+ bottle of Nitrous thru it and MTI Stg 2 Heads and X1 cam...

Could it be people just crank these cars up and go...no warm up time...rev them to their limits everyday...hell my car never saw redline unless i was at the track or making money on the streets. :-)

When u get ur new motor...be careful w/it...
The piston slap I am referring to has nothing to due with the oil, filter, or hard driving. It is common to several people even right after they purchase the vehicle. Want to see the proof of this then visit www.pistonslap.com and read a current article on GM's problem with piston slap engines at http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1021527/posts although this story mentions mostly the truck and suv lines the 5.7 LS1 also has issues especially the 2001 - 2002 model years. Not all have it, some do and some don't.

Some live with it because theirs is light and goes away in a minute or so and some like mine are so loud it sounds like a DuraMax Diesel and never completely goes away. Very disturbing and embarassing when people stare at your car wanting to know what is wrong with it. On this page http://pistonslap.com/photos.htm you will be able to play audio that sounds exactly like my 2001 Camaro SS every time I start it. Now would you like your LS1 to sound like that with only 12,000 or 17,000 miles on it? I wouldn't want it to sound like that with 170,000 miles on it!

BTW: I have never raced it at all. Most miles are highway (interstate) miles.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Default Update Monday Jan 19, 2004

Well this car has had inttermittant problems with the battery draining itself since I got it. This am when I went to take it to the dealer for the piston slap it was totally dead. Not even a gauge lamp would light. They never could find the reason for this but it does it often. There is no aftermarket anything on this car.

Well I called the service department to inform them I need a jump before I can bring it in. They advised me to call Chevy Roadside. I also got to talk to my tech on the phone and he tells me that they were going to have him pull the engine, and they were sending it out to a local shop to have the pistons put in. He could not tell me who it was and said he believed all they would do is put the pistons in and return the engine to the dealership for the tech to put it back in the car. I did not agree with that so I started a case with Chevrolet Customer Service. I told them I want a NEW engine put in as many have already told me they have had this piston replacement done with very little to no success. Guess I have to become hatefull if I want to get it done right!?!? That is a shame you can;t get what you are supposed to by being polite anymore.

They state they will get in touch with the service manager of the dealership, and have the GM district rep call me within 24 hours to get this resolved.
This is starting to suck real bad. I don't think anyone here would allow just anybody to tear apart thier engine and do major work on it and not know who or what they actually planned to do or the quality of work they perform.

Dealers Service Manager could not be reached this morning so I will have to wait until tomorrow to hear from him. In the mean time I have to wait for Chevrolet Roadside to send someone out to jump start this dead battery again. I have no other car here now to do it myself and neighbors are at work. This really sucks cause I took off work this week to get this crap done! Oh well ... I better call for roadside to come jump this beast again!

2001 NBM Camaro SS
SLP #5535 of 6332
Chrome Z06
Center Mount Exhaust
Black SLP SS Grill
Old 01-19-2004, 07:19 PM
Teching In

I had my pistons,rings and bearings replaced on my 01 WS6 TA.I have close to 3,000 miles on it now and still no piston slap noise or oil consumption.I to wanted a new engine but service manager said this was GM's fix.He also stated that in the past some engines were replaced and the new engine sounded as bad or worse than the one replaced.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would make sure to emphasise that they make damn sure to check really closely that no cylinders are out of round or you want a new block. They couldnt argue with that.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01 SOM WS6
I had my pistons,rings and bearings replaced on my 01 WS6 TA.I have close to 3,000 miles on it now and still no piston slap noise or oil consumption.I to wanted a new engine but service manager said this was GM's fix.He also stated that in the past some engines were replaced and the new engine sounded as bad or worse than the one replaced.
Hopefully yours will remain good but most have reported that it came back after some time after the new pistons but there have been some that have been lucky.

I do not want my engine torn apart and just have new pistons put in, especially since they won't tell me where they are sending it too. The answer is "A machine shop" Well define machine shop! Who's machine shop, and what is their reputation? If they want to rebuild my engine then I would want a new block, new pistons, rings, bearings, cam, hell they may as well build it up for me...that would be alright I guess as long as it was done by a reputable shop. But I say the best solution and the fair solution is to replace the engine with a new 2003 LS1 since under GM's own admission they finally fixed the problem in the later 2003's and 2004's.

When you buy a new car part of the reason the price is so high is to cover the bumper to bumper warranty. My mileage on this car is low and the only reason someone should even consider digging in an engine that new is to upgrade performance parts. And if it has a major problem that includes the block and is under warranty....Replace the entire engine.

Still waiting for my call from the District GM Rep. Chevrolet Customer Care called this morning to let me know they are still waiting for his return call.
At least they are keeping me updated.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2004, 10:34 PM
Teching In

I'm with you on wanting a new engine.I hope you get one.It took me three attempts and several calls to G.M. customer service for them to address the problem.I did make it clear when they tore the engine down to check all the tolerances on the cylinder bores etc.,and if there were any problems I wanted it replaced.I tried to get them to install a LS-6 cam while they had it apart but they would not go along with it do to warrenty concerns.You would think G.M.would have corrected this piston slap problem along time ago since the LS-1 has been in production since the 97 vette.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Well the nice lady at Chevy Customer Service calls me every day asking me if I have heard from the district rep. She gave him the message and he told her he would call but so far he has not. Now she is getting a little upset with him not calling. She is going to try to contact him again to get him to call so we can get this resolved.

I will say that Chev Customer Care is trying as she really does call me every morning.

I have been very patient so far. I am starting to feel like I am dealing with Damnear I mean Daimler Chrysler Corporation again.....Even Chryslers Customer Care Center does not care though but that is the only difference so far.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a suggestion on the draining the battery problem. Does temperature or climate have anything to do with it? If it doesn't it only once in awhile it sounds like it isn't a dead short draining on something but more like the PCM is letting power trickle down through something. It also might be a screwy relay. If they have replaced all the relays and such then I have no idea but that is what I would start looking at. As for the motor sucks to hear man, they start putting you off much longer I would begin to think about contacting a local tv news crew and have them come out and do a story on your problem. Do that and make sure that you state the actions that you have taken and make sure that bitch slaps it little heart out when they do an audible take of it. Doing that and sending a letter to GM referencing the video and such I'm sure that will get a quick response from the local rep.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jub here from over at pistonslap. I've just read the threads here and I'll be monitoring your progress with great interest. I will be seeing the district rep this Tuesday and I was kind of hoping that I could use your case for ammo in support of getting a new engine as well. If I'm not succesful I guess I'll just trade it.

Anyway, good luck and hope all works out for you.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Damn dude if you are having them look at the Z06 and you can't get a new motor then I would tell GM to screw themselves. I hope it is a truck you own that they don't want to deal with you on. Really, I can't see them blackballing you when you paid what you did for a C5, (a Z06 at that) good luck man. The cool thing is that if it were to sound half as bad as what I am getting the picture of nobody would buy it in their right mind by the sound when they start it for a test drive. They would end up putting a motor in it just to sell the damned thing.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

Hey Koss and Jub!

Just got your message on here.
As far as the battery i would say you could be very correct. Of course they can not find the problem and it is a b1tch since I travel a lot for my job and come back to the Indy airport and the battery is dead. I have had to use Chevy Roadside 5 times. (I know I could go buy a new battery but the one I have is under warranty but they won't replace it unless AC/Delco agree's its the battery)

Jub-
Yes you can feel free to use my case if need be. I have all of my notes and update them each time I talk to anyone. I just wish the Rep would keep his promise and talk to me. I guess an attorney from Krone and Moss got my email and have contacted me.
The problem there is that they can get GM to buy back my car with the case I have, but I do not want that.... They don't make these cars anymore and they no longer make a car that I like besides the Z06 and that is out of my range $$$!

I just want my SS fixed and done right. As I said earlier, If I was going to have someone dig elbow deep into my engine it would be to build it up, not put a bandaid fix on it!

The 2003's and 2004's do not have the PS problem from what I have been told, and I want it fixed right and that means NEW engine under warranty. No rebuild, no remanufactured, but new.

Keep fighting for what is right. Too many people have been taken on this and told that it is normal. They did listen to mine and it sounds exactly like the sound byte on Pistonslap.com it is loud!

I have a video with audio of it already to go if need be. I do have to say that my caseworker from Customer care is very polite and does call me every day without me calling her 1st. She is doing her job.

Use some of the examples from this thread as well if you need to. They don't need names, just let them know that you have talked to people that have had this same prob and they had to go through the bandaid repair and then came right back afterwards and get a new engine. That wastes your time and their time. I am going to ask them what GM means by their "Fix it Right The 1st Time" program if they make known temporary repairs first tht they know stand a 9 in 10 chance of coming back.

It all boils down to $$$$ but I am not worried about theirs...I am worried about mine!

Talk to you soon and will keep you all updated.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

GM went this route on the ole ladys malibu two weeks later the knock returned only worse than before. the service manager said that gm will only fix it one time only and that I would have to live with it. I asked them if anybody ever even miked anything and if they knew what the piston to wall clearance was... just dumb looks, then he said it was assembled to gm specs. I used to be a gm tech so I know the drill slap it together kick it out the door try to beat the flat rate. You really don't want them working on your motor. Do what I did drain the oil into a clean pan, start it up, rev it till you smoke a bearing , replace the oil ,limp it in to the dealer knocking like hell ,dealer replaces whole motor every one happy except gm. This worked great for me , don't get mad just get your car fixed right !!
Old 01-25-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy's 01 Z06 was re-ringed for oil consumption. You'd never know they were in there....car's run 12.1 bone stock and 11.7 after headers.

Hope it works out for you. My 2001 makes some noise at startup, has 46k miles on it...run's like a beast and used 1/2 qt of oil after 22 passes at the track.

Goodluck
Old 01-25-2004, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sssuch
GM went this route on the ole ladys malibu two weeks later the knock returned only worse than before. the service manager said that gm will only fix it one time only and that I would have to live with it. I asked them if anybody ever even miked anything and if they knew what the piston to wall clearance was... just dumb looks, then he said it was assembled to gm specs. I used to be a gm tech so I know the drill slap it together kick it out the door try to beat the flat rate. You really don't want them working on your motor. Do what I did drain the oil into a clean pan, start it up, rev it till you smoke a bearing , replace the oil ,limp it in to the dealer knocking like hell ,dealer replaces whole motor every one happy except gm. This worked great for me , don't get mad just get your car fixed right !!
Thanks sssuch. It is ashame that in order to get the work done that you deserve that we would have to resort to doing what you had to do. GM left you no other choice. You would think that they would just want to fix it right the first time to save themselves Time, Money, and Repeat Customers!

If you don't have the time and or money to do the job the 1st time, how are you going to find the time and money to do the job over again? That is my philosophy.

Thanks for your post it helps me to know if people have had this band-aid fix done only to have the problem return shortly after and sometimes worse.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

like I said, they replaced my pistons with new ones in my 02 collectors ed. t. a. and I ask the tech who did the work, is this going to fix the problem for good, his reply was'' well it should. the skirts on the pistons are teflon coated, thats what keeps the noise down, the tech did not have a lot to say exept it was a son-of- a *****. to do. all I got to say is I got it back and no noise. although its put up for the winter I really wont truly know until this summer If it did the trick. but I also have a lot of modes to do this spring.kooks,corsa,stall,373. gears,subframes, and a cam.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by yellowbird
like I said, they replaced my pistons with new ones in my 02 collectors ed. t. a. and I ask the tech who did the work, is this going to fix the problem for good, his reply was'' well it should. the skirts on the pistons are teflon coated, thats what keeps the noise down, the tech did not have a lot to say exept it was a son-of- a *****. to do. all I got to say is I got it back and no noise. although its put up for the winter I really wont truly know until this summer If it did the trick. but I also have a lot of modes to do this spring.kooks,corsa,stall,373. gears,subframes, and a cam.
I hope that it fixed yours. If you didn't put very many miles on it since the fix it is hard to tell at this point if it is cured. So far many more people that have replied to me in all of the forums on the web i posed questions too, the majority state that it came back. Only a few said "so far so good".

Most experts stated that the cylinder bores were out of spec as well. Makes me kind of nervous since they no longer produce these fine cars and if I end up with a noisey engine again I am screwed financially.

I love the F-body and have owned new ones since 1988. 88 I-Z28, 91 Firebird Formula, 92 25th Anniversary RS, 95 Z28, and now this 01 SS.

I have never had one sound like a diesel though until this one at 12k miles.
I really wouldn't be so concerned if it only did it for a minute or so, but this one lasts for about 5 - 8 minutes on average and is very loud.

I really do hope that yours is cured.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by XuhQshinR; 01-25-2004 at 06:34 PM. Reason: TypoS
Old 01-26-2004, 01:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey, let me offer a possibility that's legal and most of the time effective. I gotta preface by saying that most GM techs aren't that bad! Matter of fact, several have steered me mucho right.

Let the dealer fix you car their way first. They're gonna spend a lot of money and time doing it! But if that doesn't work, boy do you have a case! Go back if it's not right and make them MAKE it right. You'll have GM on your side (they can't not!) and you'll have a running car with a built-in wall-to-wall warranty! Don't be shy, though, if it ain't right get after 'em right away! Judge Judy always says, "It took you how many years to ask for your money back!?" as though she never heard of anything longer than 5 minutes! And if that doesn't work...

You'd be surprised how often that works! And you know, if they do it right like they are supposed to, you're already home free. Now that's a win-win, and your the

Quick Reply: GM wants to replace my pistons and rings