Sponsored by:

GM wants to replace my pistons and rings

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM wants to replace my pistons and rings

Sorry..I originally accidently posted this in the wrong forum

2001 SS NBM SLP Grill, Z06 Chrome Wheels, Center Mount Exhaust, Air lid, No mods until I get some issues resolved then I go for broke!

This beautiful car developed a very bad case of Piston Slap lasting for over 5 - 10 minutes at times. I guess I got one that has it bad because mine is very loud, embarrassing, and lasts for quite a while.

Took it to the dealership and the GM rep listened to it and said it was bad enough that it needs fixed.

They have ordered new 8 new Pistons (P/N 88984245) and New Ring Packs (P/N 88984247) for all 8.

If they tear it apart and find anything out of scope on mesurements they will replace engine with new since still under warranty (17K miles).

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get them to replace it with a late model 03 or 04 that supposedly has this problem solved so I never have P-slap again? (at least i hear that it was fixed sometime in 2003)
Car just turned 17K and is still under original warranty.

Nice car...just that it sounds like a diesel until it reaches around 180'F. After that it runs great! I imagine the higher than normal oil consumption happens during the cold starts with the piston clearance out of spec till it warms up and seals better?

I really hope they replace the engine because I hate the idea of someone tearing it apart only to replace rings and pistons after this prob. What engine should they put in it (year wise)?

Has anyone delt with this issue with a good outcome from GM? What would you do if you were in my position?

I do not want a buy back, I plan to keep this car for a long time unless they bring the F-body back and it still remains a sharp and fast RWD car then I might consider trading it.

Thanks in advance and Have a great New Year!
Old 01-08-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry for not staying on topic, but i have the same car as you, minus the SS part do you have any pics you could send me? i'd just like to see it, no other reason
Old 01-08-2004, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

e-mail me with phone# and i will call you and let you know what they did with my 2002 collecters ed. t. a. mikeclontz@hotmail.com. just to much to type.!!
Old 01-08-2004, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I'm surprised that they will even tear the motor down to do this. Depending on your dealership I have mixed feelings about this. If the dealer is good and they will stand behind their work then I would have few reservations of this. Now if they are known to get a thing or two wrong in their days then I would maybe just consider the replacement motor. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much being your dealer is good enough that they stepped up to the plate and are doing what they are supposed to do. Alot of dealers anymore seem to blow people off, (particularly with these cars for some reason) Anyways, hope everything goes well. I'm sure it will all be fine. Personally I would put pistons in it if it was my car.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

you would not believe the bullshit GM is trying to pass off to the consumer, and what I had to do to get mt 2002 collecters ed. t. a. fixed.!!
Old 01-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

I work at a chevy dealer, and its not bad replacingthe pistons if the techs are good. BUT if they replace the engine, u will end up with a ls6 block cause they dont make ls1's anymore. if u can, i would bitch and try to get them to replace the engine so u getthe ls6 block.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

GM will only replace a warrantied part with the same part. i.e. you can only have your engine replaced with the one that came with the vehicle.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

that is correct ,the only thing there going to do is replace the pistons,but the good news is there the right tollerances.!
Old 01-08-2004, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02SS1LE
I work at a chevy dealer, and its not bad replacingthe pistons if the techs are good. BUT if they replace the engine, u will end up with a ls6 block cause they dont make ls1's anymore. if u can, i would bitch and try to get them to replace the engine so u getthe ls6 block.
Thanks for your reply.

LS6 block would be great. All I want is to get an engine that already has the fix in it that GM is supposed to have done for the PSlap that is in a large amount of the 2000 - 2002 engines. If mine only last for a few seconds I would not complain but it is so loud and lasts for several minutes and sounds like a Duramax Diesel after it has been sitting for long enough to cool down.

I travel every week and if my customer site is within 250 miles I drive it most times and do you have any idea what it is like to start your car up outside the likes of a Raddison Hotel and have everyone stare at your car wondering why a Camaro SS has a diesel?

I am sure they (if 100% honest will find at least one cylinder out of specs) from what I hear about the LS1 that have bad slapping usually #1 & #8.

I think I would feel better with a new engine and if the LS6 is the only block there is for new replacement and it doesn't slap then I will be happy.

Now do I have a right to say Just replace the engine?

Thanks again for your reply.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
GM will only replace a warrantied part with the same part. i.e. you can only have your engine replaced with the one that came with the vehicle.
Dont want to sound ignorant, but thats not the case. they stopped making ls1 blocks, and the replacement for them is ls6 blocks. u still get an ls1 motor, its just built on an ls6 block. not much difference just that the block is stronger. we replace 2 where i work, and this was the case both times. the motors were replaced because after replacing the pistons the first time, the piston slap reoccured.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by XuhQshinR

Now do I have a right to say Just replace the engine?
I would probiably say not under law, they are doing what they need to do to correct the problem. Personally I would just let them do what they feel is the correct thing in this situation. Replacing the pistons isn't a huge deal if done by a skilled tech. Perhaps something may or maynot be out of round or out of spec. The tech will just have to check and see. Now if you were to get the motor back and excessive oil consumption slap occurs again then yes that would warrant a new motor but if the cylinders are in spec I see no problem with it. Personally I would want to speak to the mechanic and ask if he did mic everything to include the rod journals while he had it down. I would also want to have a serious but friendly talk with the head service guy and see if you can get a written extension on the motor portion of the warranty due to this work. If not then I would fight that being you are depending on their craftsmanship.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kossuth
Honestly I'm surprised that they will even tear the motor down to do this. Depending on your dealership I have mixed feelings about this. If the dealer is good and they will stand behind their work then I would have few reservations of this. Now if they are known to get a thing or two wrong in their days then I would maybe just consider the replacement motor. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much being your dealer is good enough that they stepped up to the plate and are doing what they are supposed to do. Alot of dealers anymore seem to blow people off, (particularly with these cars for some reason) Anyways, hope everything goes well. I'm sure it will all be fine. Personally I would put pistons in it if it was my car.
I think there are two reasons why they are fixing my problem:

#1: The zone rep and service manager both listened to it and agreed it is worse than most others with the PS.

#2: In one week I financed a 2003 Cav for my son, Bought a 2003 Malibu LS for my wife, saw this SS with only 9900 miles and bought it for me, and had our daughter and son in law come in and they bought a 2003 Grand Am GT Ram Air. In less than 48 hours 4 Cars Same Dealer Same Salesman.

That should do it.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

I would say you are probiably onto something there LOL. If the Zone rep heard it then getting an extended warranty on the motor should be no problem
Old 01-08-2004, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Kossuth,

So you fry rice in the back of your S10?
Old 01-08-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

LOL, yep big skillet
Old 01-08-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02SS1LE
Dont want to sound ignorant, but thats not the case. they stopped making ls1 blocks, and the replacement for them is ls6 blocks. u still get an ls1 motor, its just built on an ls6 block. not much difference just that the block is stronger. we replace 2 where i work, and this was the case both times. the motors were replaced because after replacing the pistons the first time, the piston slap reoccured.
I'm totally aware of the block interchange was just stating that it must be an LS1 engine platform. An LS6 block with the LS1 internals and topend in considered an LS1 b/c it has the LS1 camshaft and valvetrain and heads.

I should have stated, you'll only get an LS1 replaced with an LS1 under warranty. You can't have the dealers swap in an LS6 motor (ZO6 motor) in an LS1 platformed F-body under warranty.

Also, I'm 99% sure that the LS1 blocks are still made. They are used in the '03->'04 Corvette non-ZO6s and utilized in the GTOs, too.

Besides, having an LS6 block with LS1 internals, etc is no real advantage anyway, it's slightly stronger but nothing you or the next person would see much gain from. Better windage channels, but no performance advantages that are discernable.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Launching!

My 2001 is probably as bad or worse then your's because it still makes noise when it's warm.The reps looked at mine and wanted the dealer to pull the plugs and put in some solution to remove carbon, which didn't do anything other than foul two plugs a couple of day's later, the dealer also mentioned that the reps never told them the next thing they should do if any so right now I'm sitting with my car in storage and unsure what's going to happen next, I'm going to make some serious calls soon.The only comment I have on the replacement of all the piston's is that apparently the problem is an overbored cylinder so new pistons wont make a difference unless, there made oversize find out if the new piston's are the same OD as the old one's, and good luck.

Last edited by Jalbert; 01-08-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Hey why not do this. Bring the car into get repaired, then find out the tech that is working on it. Talk with him about the problem to see if he has his head on straight and slip him some greenbacks . He just needs to say these words, Cylinder bores scuffed and out of round!!!!!!!!! Oh wait that sounds like a new motor. Its worth a try. John
Old 01-08-2004, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ojustracing
Hey why not do this. Bring the car into get repaired, then find out the tech that is working on it. Talk with him about the problem to see if he has his head on straight and slip him some greenbacks . He just needs to say these words, Cylinder bores scuffed and out of round!!!!!!!!! Oh wait that sounds like a new motor. Its worth a try. John
I know the tech but not real well. He is the only one I request to work on my car.

It is difficult to get the chance to talk to him as he is always busy and to slip him $ would be seen as he is in view of the service desk. Not sure how they would take seeing that.

I know with the amount of $ I have spent at that dealership I am pretty much broke already! Thats not to say I couldn't get him a nice late Christmas Card with a gift in it though. Or Put a couple of cases of beer in the car and tell him to take out to his car to keep it cold?
Old 01-08-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

We have had a few of these cases at my dealership, and every time the customer gets a brand new motor. I don't know what the deal is.

Quick Reply: GM wants to replace my pistons and rings