Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM wants to replace my pistons and rings

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 01:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On 8-14-03 I had all my pistons and rings replaced at my local chevy dealer, I havent noticed any problems since then, but after reading and hearing that many people have had theur engine replaced I wish I would have inquired about it. I also have meant to call chevy and get an extension on my factory warranty, but I am the worst procrastinator.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TeeKay
Hey, let me offer a possibility that's legal and most of the time effective. I gotta preface by saying that most GM techs aren't that bad! Matter of fact, several have steered me mucho right.

Let the dealer fix you car their way first. They're gonna spend a lot of money and time doing it! But if that doesn't work, boy do you have a case! Go back if it's not right and make them MAKE it right. You'll have GM on your side (they can't not!) and you'll have a running car with a built-in wall-to-wall warranty! Don't be shy, though, if it ain't right get after 'em right away! Judge Judy always says, "It took you how many years to ask for your money back!?" as though she never heard of anything longer than 5 minutes! And if that doesn't work...

You'd be surprised how often that works! And you know, if they do it right like they are supposed to, you're already home free. Now that's a win-win, and your the
I agree with what you are saying but I am a little hesitant to take the chance that with the repair and with the overall majority of those that have had this repair done having to return a few weeks to months later, that my original warranty will expire (may 2004) then I will play trying to get them to replace the engine and will be stuck with a beautiful car that isn't worth much because it has that aweful loud slap everytime I start it. Most that have had the repair (pistons & rings) done have mentioned that it comes back and some say it is even louder than before. Mine is very loud now and lasts way over the seconds or few minutes that some here have. Mine sounds exactly like the sound bit on www.pistonslap.com in their photo section.

I want to keep this car until for a long time or at least until they bring the Camaro and Firebird back. In the mean time is it too mauch to ask for an SS LS1 that does not sound like a diesel?

The rep still has not called me back, however Chevy Customer service just called again asking if I have heard from the DSM. She is getting upset because he has promised several times in a week to call me. So far he has not.

Thanks for your reply and I 'll keep everyone updated.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up FINALLY- The Rep Calls

I finally got to talk to the DSM!

He finally called me this evening and listened to my complaints. He said he understands my concerns with the problem returning but that is what he was initially told that engineering said to do.

He is going to check with GM engineering to see what their experience with this in the LS1 is and how many LS1 engines they have had to replace after an attempted replacement of pistons etc... He said he himself had not seen many of these cases with the F-Body cars.

He will get back with me as soon as he hears from Engineering about what the national number of LS1's with the Piston Slap they have actually had to turn around and replace.

I know its not much yet but at least I have someone looking into it.

I hope they do the right thing and replace the engine.

Thanks everyone for your posts of your experiences with this. It is helpful to see what has and has not bee tried to permanantly fix this issue. I will keep you informed and check here for your posts as well. The more ammo one has the better the outcome.

Old 01-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Teching In

As I mentioned earlier I had my pistons and rings replaced along with the bearings and have close to 3,000 miles on it,also pretty cold here in St.Louis and there still is no noise .Years down the road if the Camaro/Firebird are not brought back,I just wonder how the prices will be effected on the cars with replacement engines installed.Currently the vintage SS's,T/A's and Z-28's with the original drivetrains command the most $$$ .I know that's probably years down the road,just something to think about.And some people could care less about number matching and date codes on engines' just depends ,to each his own.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01 SOM WS6
As I mentioned earlier I had my pistons and rings replaced along with the bearings and have close to 3,000 miles on it,also pretty cold here in St.Louis and there still is no noise .Years down the road if the Camaro/Firebird are not brought back,I just wonder how the prices will be effected on the cars with replacement engines installed.Currently the vintage SS's,T/A's and Z-28's with the original drivetrains command the most $$$ .I know that's probably years down the road,just something to think about.And some people could care less about number matching and date codes on engines' just depends ,to each his own.
Not sure how it would effect the price with new engine installed but I do know that IF I ever decided to sell or trade it with the pistons slapping as loud as they do now, I would take a serious beating to my wallet!

I love the car, but if I would have heard this noise when I was first looking at buying it, it would not be in my garage. Once the new engine is in it and no more loud long lasting slap coming from it, I will be happy.

The fight for my replacement engine is not over yet. I will not give up.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

Default Update Friday 13 Feb

Well I finally got my baby back yesterday evening.

In talking with my GM Tech he mentioned to me very quietly that he let it sit over night and when he started it up he still heard the slapping but not quite as loud as it was. I asked him if he thought it would return to the level it once was and he said it is likely it will.

The pistons they replaced are of the same size as the old ones but with a special anti scuff coating on the skirt. The rings are bigger and have a napier edge that will wear in quickly. They were all supposed to be "Fitted" to the cylinders by a machine shop. In talking with the machine shop tech he states "I only did as GM told me to do" He only replaced the rings and pistons and did measurements. I would have figured that the bearings would (should) have been replaced as well but he states they were not and he was only allowed to do as his customer (GM) stated to do.

The block with the new rings and pistons was then returned to the dealer where it was reassembled and put back in the car. The GM Tech states it started up but soon started running rough and he ran a diag on it and found the bank 2 O2 sensor went bad for some reason. He replaced it. Also it looks like (4) Spark Plugs were replaced per the work order

(can be seen here: http://home.insightbb.com/~greg1317/...ID-632600.html ) Note the explaination on the work order stating "Excessive Clearance From Piston to Bore" as the cause of the problem.

The service manager was not in yesterday and no-one else there knew anything of the Regional Service Managers Promise of an extention of coverage for the parts replaced (should have been the entire engine since they tore it apart). Why would you only cover the replaced parts when you litterally had to tear down the entire engine and only replaced Rings and Pistons?

My GM Tech that worked on my car states that if the Slap gets worse he sees no other cure but for GM to do the right thing and drop a new engine in it. He said they will have to now that they did this repair as it addmits there was a major problem with the engine while under warranty.

I had them put regular dino oil 5w30 in it for the breakin for the rings and they will change it out at 1000 miles to replace my Mobil 1 at no charge at that time. I have heard that synthetic it too slick for proper seating of the rings in the first 500 - 1000 miles.

Time and mileage will tell if the piston slap comes back as bad it it was. If it does I had best not have any problems getting a new engine from GM.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and help!
Old 02-13-2004, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Keep fighting the good fight!

As for me, I just had the second dealer tell me noise is normal for a high lift cam.

I'm not sure what to do now. I really don't have the energy to get a lawyer and fight this. It's not worth it to me.

MTI has reasonbly priced strokers I might just take a drive out to Houston one afternoon. I bet they can make me happy...for a price.

Anyway, enjoy the car in the meantime, if you can.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

fwiw, I think the piston slap started in '98 didn't it? I have a '99 with it.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

GM's cold-start piston knock involving 4.8, 5.3, 5.7 and 6.0-liter V-8s in '99 to '02 GM cars and trucks.

The manufacturer's stand on the issue is that it doesn't warrant a service bulletin or recall promoting a repair. We were also assured the problem has been corrected on the '03-model line with a piston-design modification along with the addition of a polymer coating. (not to mention closer attention to piston to bore measurements!)
Old 02-13-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Does your piston slap eventually go away after the car warms up? My 2000 had it really bad, but it would always go competely away after about 10 mins of idling.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Teching In

I am surprised to hear that the piston slap was supposed to be cured after 02. Several 03 and 04 Z06's I have personally heard still have the problem.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

my 99 with 110,000 miles slapped for a few min in the AM but that's about it....
Old 02-14-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been renewed. This guy got a new engine! So it can be done!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/138834-anyone-bad-piston-slap-oil-consumption.html
Old 02-14-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My girl friend has a 99 T/A and hers has some piston slap noise when it first cold starts...not as bad as some that I have heard..her car runs perfect and doesn't use a drop of oil...got 60 k on it now...my 2000 Z28 has no piston slap at all and it used a half quart in 4000 miles...i run it hard but do not abuse it...these LS1 and LS6 motors are set up loose. I work at a chevy dealer so I see alot of them...u mite have a hard time gettin a new motor..they will fight u tooth and nail over it.. .I have seen it happen. Good luck in the quest.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A question for slt200mph. Since you work at a chevy dealer, can you tell me what the deal is with a ticking noise in an LS6? Dealers tell me it's normal but I don't notice any of this normal noise in any of my friends LS6s. Any comments? Noise is most audible around 1800 RPM.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

Default My experience with PS : Sorry it's so long.

Just an addition.....I bought my 01 SS in Sept of '01. I put 200 miles on it the first day that I had it. After one week I had 400 miles on it. At 407 miles, I noticed a small knocking coming from the motor at Idle and increasing with engine speed. I took it straight to the dealership and they had three guys come out and listen to it. They all admitted that they could hear a knock. I left it with them that day. They called me the next day and said that they were going to tear down the motor and take a look inside, but that they talked to GM and they had advised them that they probably needed to replace the pistons and rings. I was not happy with that answer. I went to the dealership before they closed the next day and went to the bay where my car was. The tech already had my engine out and torn apart. He pointed out several scrapes on the #8 cylinder wall that he said was caused by the piston skirts. I talked to my service rep and told him that I had seen my cylinder walls and that I needed a new engine. He said that they would have to talk to GM. The next day he called me and told me that they were sending a complete new engine. I was satisfied. The new engine was put in and I took it home a couple of weeks later (Sept. 11th kinda put a hold on the engine being shipped). I put 500 or so miles on the new motor and it started knocking. Took it back and they said that they couldn't hear it this time......They said that the regional director was coming down in one week and that they would call me so that I could bring it in and let him hear it. They never called. I called three times to see when he would be there and I kept getting the run around. Anyway I took it back again and complained. They said that they hadn't had anyone else have these problems and that I just wasn't used to aluminum block engine noise. I twisted off and said some things I shouldn't have . I left at that point and decided that it wasn't worth getting that upset over and I started reading on LS1tech that cars with piston slap don't necessarily run bad. So I have 9500 miles on mine now with a constant ticking at idle and slight piston slap all of the time, but it runs great and doesn't use excessive oil so I live with it. Warranty will run out this year anyway and I am tired of being stock so I am putting in a cam, springs, headers and a TC this weekend. Good luck with your fight though. I wish I had the patience and personality to have fought a little harder over mine.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:16 AM
Launching!

I recently purchased a 2002 Z28 used with 57,000 miles. When I bought it I noticed the engine had a little noise when started but nothing excessive.

Now I'm experiencing loud, diesel like, noises lasting for a long period of time. The car is out of warranty. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Quick Reply: GM wants to replace my pistons and rings