Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple questions, cam picks, install etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple questions, cam picks, install etc.

I've been a gen 1 guy for the past 4 years so some of my questions might be a little obvious. I also appologize for the long post...

I'm wanting to start building towards a cam swap, right now my car is a full exhaust, lid, 4.10s, monster stage 3 car. It's my daily driver so I don't want to kill its drive-ability.

That being said, here is my "build" list.

MS3 cam: Will this be too radical?
Either keeping my 241 heads or purchase 243 heads. I'm very good friends with a machinist, so I can have them ported and get the springs swapped over real easy. Are there any other heads that are comparable? and affordable?

LS6 intake
water pump
oil pump/o ring?
timing chain
gaskets
head bolts
cam springs

I'm planning on purchasing the TSP kit which comes with springs, pushrods etc.

I have read several threads about needing new headgaskets/bolts, to me that makes me assume that the heads come out of the car. Is this a requirement? Because I've also read several things about pressurizing the chambers and swapping valve springs one at a time, thus NOT removing the heads?

Is there really anything more difficult/different to this than a gen 1 cam swap?

Thanks a ton guys, I'm a noob to LSX stuff
Old 05-25-2010, 08:40 PM

Doing some more research on 5.3 heads, from what I've read the 799 casting is the same as 243 heads?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can pressurize the chambers to swap springs.the ms3 will work ,but you will need a good tuner.what stall are you running?A4 or M6?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:11 PM

M6, thanks for your input.

I've got to find someone local to tune it, norris moved
Old 05-25-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can use dowel rods to hold the lifters up so you don't have to take the heads off. Check ls1howto for the cam swap writeup. I just did a cam swap with my stock 853 heads and I have 405 rwhp and 387 rwtq. Heads will get you closer to 430 to 480 give or take depending on the heads
Old 05-25-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by k5383
I've been a gen 1 guy for the past 4 years so some of my questions might be a little obvious. I also appologize for the long post...

I'm wanting to start building towards a cam swap, right now my car is a full exhaust, lid, 4.10s, monster stage 3 car. It's my daily driver so I don't want to kill its drive-ability.

That being said, here is my "build" list.

MS3 cam: Will this be too radical?
Either keeping my 241 heads or purchase 243 heads. I'm very good friends with a machinist, so I can have them ported and get the springs swapped over real easy. Are there any other heads that are comparable? and affordable?

LS6 intake
water pump
oil pump/o ring?
timing chain
gaskets
head bolts
cam springs

I'm planning on purchasing the TSP kit which comes with springs, pushrods etc.

I have read several threads about needing new headgaskets/bolts, to me that makes me assume that the heads come out of the car. Is this a requirement? Because I've also read several things about pressurizing the chambers and swapping valve springs one at a time, thus NOT removing the heads?

Is there really anything more difficult/different to this than a gen 1 cam swap?

Thanks a ton guys, I'm a noob to LSX stuff

Wow a lot ???'s

MS3 is weak on the bottom but you have gears so that is yor call. I would tend to go a little smaller like a TR Raptor that will be a better DD but be real close peak to a MS3...

243's are the best bang 4 buck head on these motors so if you go OEM heads get these. As somebody else stated 799's are the same casting.

If you don't swap heads you don't need head bolts and gaskets. You can change springs by getting a fitting that screws in spark plug holes and pressureizes the valves and keeps them from dropping OR just rotate that cylinder to TDC and the piston will keep the valve up...

You parts list looks good but if you keep your heads you don't need bolts /HG gaskets. Add a water pump gasket and a pulley bolt. BTW I reused my stock water pump. They are easy to change later if they go bad... I asume you already have headers if they have EGR you will need EGR block off plates for the LS6 IM. If you don't have headers buy them before you do this other stuff or are pissing i the wind. Oh.... get the obvious fluids.....

HAVE FUN WITH IT
Old 05-26-2010, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
[COLOR="Teal"]MS3 is weak on the bottom but you have gears so that is yor call. I would tend to go a little smaller like a TR Raptor that will be a better DD but be real close peak to a MS3...
TR raptor, I'm assuming that thunder racing raptor? You know any specs on it? I went to their website but they didn't list a raptor.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

It is there here is what they say....

Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft
" RapTR" - 236/242 - .615/.615 - 111 lsa 3000-6800 RPM Power Band. Great mid-range & high RPM power. Requires computer tuning, 3600 converter on autos, 4.10's or greater depending on transmission. Works very well with nitrous and proper tuning. Due to the fast ramp rate of this camshaft, the use of 1.8 rockers is not recommended. Due to the extreme nature of this camshaft, piston to valve clearance must be verified when using modified cylinder heads.

Just scroll down on this page>>>>http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=51

It is slightly smaller than the MS3 but will have much better low/mid power because of lobe design but VERY close up top if any loss....
Old 05-26-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take a look at the EPS cams.
http://www.engpwrsys.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=16
Old 05-26-2010, 09:10 AM

wow...i read that page earlier... I dont know how I missed it...haha

So if 799 are the same casting what makes 243 any better? After they were cast were they machined different? Or is it simply to show they were cast in a different place than the 243?

I ask because I have a line on a rather cheap set of 799s.

Last edited by k5383; 05-26-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

They are same unless the 243's came off a LS6 vette so get them. The vette heads have lighter hollow intake valves and sodium filled exhaust valves...
Old 05-26-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
They are same unless the 243's came off a LS6 vette so get them. The vette heads have lighter hollow intake valves and sodium filled exhaust valves...
Ah, well these are bare heads. So I'll be building them up with whatever i feel/learn is best.