Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mmm Cam/lifter carnage omnomnomnom

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Ok, you just made it seem like you knew what went wrong. I didn't realize you were still trying to figure out what happened.
No problem man.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:17 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You saw the nissan thread right? I was just trying to make sure we werent about to go down that road again.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

I hate these threads. People get mad and try and put the blame on someone else. I think it should either be deleted or rewritten.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
You saw the nissan thread right? I was just trying to make sure we werent about to go down that road again.
Ha, I lurked that a bit. I can understand wanting to keep things from escalating. FYI to anyone thinking I am trying to badmouth TR, the next cam I put in the car WILL be from them. Just kinda want to pinpoint what it is that toasted the current one so I don't have to go down this road again.

I was in pretty good spirits about the whole thing...but Fedor just suffered his first real loss. FML I should've stayed in bed.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:30 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by Silvy6.0
I hate these threads. People get mad and try and put the blame on someone else. I think it should either be deleted or rewritten.
Nah, its alright. I let Shane know about it. He will respond probably sometime tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Silvy6.0
The people who do so are not the ones I'm looking for advice from anyways....edited the OP.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:35 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by Super Slow Z
but Fedor just suffered his first real loss. FML I should've stayed in bed.
Werdum is a BJJ masheeeeen though.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

Futural had a bad run of the f13 cams a few years back and it was actually the material in the cam. It could be a few different things though. It could be the lifters failing also.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have one better than that

This happened to my car after 1750 miles, the shop wouldn't stand behind there work it cost me $2,300. then when I got the car back the rear main seal was leaking????????? they wouldn't stand behind that ether, I could on and on about this shop.
Attached Thumbnails Mmm Cam/lifter carnage omnomnomnom-img_0866-1-.jpg  
Old 06-27-2010, 12:56 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by B Layton
This happened to my car after 1750 miles, the shop wouldn't stand behind there work it cost me $2,300. then when I got the car back the rear main seal was leaking????????? they wouldn't stand behind that ether, I could on and on about this shop.
Was that just on 1 lobe?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:57 AM

I'm going with the use of synthetic oil. Yeah, I know the first thing all of you are gonna say is that many LSx cars come with synthetic from the factory. Thing is since I have worked for THE cam manufacture, it's not an uncommon problem. The oil is too slick and the lifter doesn't roll, it starts to slide and creates excessive heat...... nuff said
Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Default I have one better than that

Yes just one lobe
Old 06-27-2010, 03:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian@SpectacleSolutions
I'm going with the use of synthetic oil. Yeah, I know the first thing all of you are gonna say is that many LSx cars come with synthetic from the factory. Thing is since I have worked for THE cam manufacture, it's not an uncommon problem. The oil is too slick and the lifter doesn't roll, it starts to slide and creates excessive heat...... nuff said
that doesn't make any sense, heat is created by friction if the roller doesn't have enough friction on the lobe to roll than how on earth would it have enough friction to create that much heat unless the roller was already partially seized or had some excessive wear perhaps due to excessive valve spring pressure? I find it hard to blame synthetic oil for accelerated wear at least for the argument of not enough friction.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to do some basic checks. I would get the cam hardness tested. What were the valve springs being used? Check their stiffness, especially the ones in those two locations.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

I will throw in wrong lifter preload as a contributing factor. To little and the lifter will start sliding or not have enough pressure to hold it down on the cam hard enough. Too mush and stiff springs may cause the lifter to pound on the cam lobe. Just some guesses.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B Layton
you turned that roller lifter in to a flat tapped
Old 06-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You need to do some basic checks. I would get the cam hardness tested. What were the valve springs being used? Check their stiffness, especially the ones in those two locations.
I don't think a Rockwell test would prove anything at this point.

I am sure that the damage has been carried completely around the affected lobes and therefore you could not get a good reading from it.

The other lobes would probably check out fine since they are ok any way.

Just my .02.

Also, I have noticed the same type of damage on some the higher mileage cars that I have done heads and cam swaps on.
These cars were stock and were running a syn. oil. (I know because I always have the customers bring me the oil)

I don't think I have seen one running conventional or a syn blend hurt like that(but I am working off of memory here).

Once more.....just my .02 .......I'll go back to lurking now...........
Old 06-27-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

hardening does not come off,it is not a coating the metal get heat treated to harden it.maybe it was not harden properly.I believe valvevoline racing oil has the zinc in it still.could be lack of spring pressure,springs loose their strength after awhile.ask Jon Bauer he'll tell us what really happened.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by importhater81
Rotella is the only oil I'm aware of that still incorporates Zinc and Phosphorus as additives.
NOT ANYMORE!!!

Gotta look at tractor oil, additives, or "racing" oils.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It's called "Brinelling" and caused by chatter. Possible broke-weak spring. bill

Quick Reply: Mmm Cam/lifter carnage omnomnomnom