Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USED NASCAR parts...how abused?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default USED NASCAR parts...how abused?

I'm looking at a pair of carrillo rods that were used for a 500 mile NASCAR race. I'm looking to run these at 450-500hp and at about 8,000-9,000 rpm. It'll be a road racing and daily driver. Can a machine shop test them for strain or how badly they were abused? I mean they're Carrillo rods and they're supposed to be bomb proof. But NASCAR drivers aren't exactly angles with their engines.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMHO ~ they are still good

Using used high performance rods is a good idea if you get 'em cheap and strong. Rod length is a problem with these rods because they are unique and getting them to fit in a Small block Chevy with normal rotating parts is the trick... NASCAR engines like long rods and short light pistons. You may need a special crank and pistons too. This may make a cheap piston rod more expensive in the end.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Launching!

I have a 1.850 journal on my crank so it makes the rods a nice fit. But I'm having trouble finding the piston to match up since the wrist pins are a funny size .787 PINS/.695 WIDE. I guess that means custom pistons or can I find decent pistons somewhere?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:08 PM
Teching In

problem with aluminum rods is that they stretch, i would make sure each rod is the correct length. also i dont know if you are building a street car or drag only car but aluminum rods are not to street friendly.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kliped
problem with aluminum rods is that they stretch, i would make sure each rod is the correct length. also i dont know if you are building a street car or drag only car but aluminum rods are not to street friendly.
Aluminum? Where'd you get that? Carillo's are steel...
Old 07-31-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are no longer using these used parts in an engine for a reason... When THEY don't trust parts anymore, why should you?
The race teams have a lot more experience that most of us, and data to back up thier reasoning.

Good paper weight...
Just my .02
Old 07-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Aluminum? Where'd you get that? Carillo's are steel...
whoops, my bad, i thought nascar used aluminum rods. this makes me hate nascar even more than i did lol
Old 07-31-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 04BlackSilverado
They are no longer using these used parts in an engine for a reason... When THEY don't trust parts anymore, why should you?
The race teams have a lot more experience that most of us, and data to back up thier reasoning.

Good paper weight...
Just my .02

Not entirely true. They may be ditching them because they are broken but they could also be ditching them because after 500 miles they rebuild motors no matter what and the parts may still be in great shape but because it is after a race or a certain mileage its time to go and for the weekend or once a month road racer the parts could still be used for another season or two but not on a 250k Nascar car.... I say get them checked out and then use them if everything checks out.

Quick Reply: USED NASCAR parts...how abused?