Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys oil your head bolts on an LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 06:40 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EricD
Hello guys , eric here , while you guys are on the subject of bolts , i know i cant reuse the factory head bolts and why would i for 42 dollars i can get a new set , my question is concerning the main cap bolts , can i reuse them , i have alot of documentation about these engines but i cant seem to find out if i can reuse the main cap bolts , are all six reuseable or not , or are they also cheap and not worth reusing , i have a used ls1 and i plan to rebuild it , ported heads , milled to 11 to 1 with an ASA cam , anybody thank you
Lets stay focused on the headbolt subject. If you want some questions answered as far as maincap bolts go I would fire up a new thread or search for one that has already been established. It makes it easier for other members to pinpoint a certain subject that they are after as well.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My GM dealer has re-used stock bolts for +10 years on all warranty repairs. They laughed at me when I bought new head bolts.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry about that , i will start a new thread about the main cap bolts , Eric
Old 02-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Okay so I had to swap the washers on my ARP headbolts after the car had been started. Anyways there was oil in the heads and some of the oil got into the head bolts as I was swapping the bolts out. Is this gonna be a problem? Do I need to pull the heads back of to be safe. Or would it be ok if some oil got down in the bolt holes?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Anyone??
Old 02-24-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much is some? Depending on the amount, you could of split the block, so consider yourself lucky in that aspect. Did you use ARP lube on the bolts? Oil? Residual lube left from initial installation?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
How much is some? Depending on the amount, you could of split the block, so consider yourself lucky in that aspect. Did you use ARP lube on the bolts? Oil? Residual lube left from initial installation?
Well hard to say, but some oil def got down in the holes. Well the vehicle has not been started since I started swapping the bolts so no worries in craking the block. Yes I used ARP lube. Yes there was def ARP lube on the threads when I pulled the bolts out. The holes were perfectly clean in the initial install, but it seemed like when I pulled the bolts out there was quite a bit of oil on the threads.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by splitfinger09
Well hard to say, but some oil def got down in the holes. Well the vehicle has not been started since I started swapping the bolts so no worries in craking the block. Yes I used ARP lube. Yes there was def ARP lube on the threads when I pulled the bolts out. The holes were perfectly clean in the initial install, but it seemed like when I pulled the bolts out there was quite a bit of oil on the threads.
If you were going to crack the block, it would of happened at or before your final torque value. If it were me, I would pull the heads and get the oil out. I am super **** about things like this and it may not be necessary, again depending on the amount, but I would pull the heads, clean them out, clean the bolts, re-install fresh ARP lube and torque em down.

If you're at a point in your build where all you would have to do is yank those 30 bolts and the heads to clean those bores, go ahead and do it. If you've got to yank the intake back off, headers, etc., it's up to you, but I would pull them and clean them either way. Again, I may be going overboard, but I wasn't there and I didn't see how much oil got in and if you didn't see it either, I would probably go ahead and pull them out and clean the bores. This could affect your torque values too.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
If you were going to crack the block, it would of happened at or before your final torque value. If it were me, I would pull the heads and get the oil out. I am super **** about things like this and it may not be necessary, again depending on the amount, but I would pull the heads, clean them out, clean the bolts, re-install fresh ARP lube and torque em down.

If you're at a point in your build where all you would have to do is yank those 30 bolts and the heads to clean those bores, go ahead and do it. If you've got to yank the intake back off, headers, etc., it's up to you, but I would pull them and clean them either way. Again, I may be going overboard, but I wasn't there and I didn't see how much oil got in and if you didn't see it either, I would probably go ahead and pull them out and clean the bores. This could affect your torque values too.
Ok so would you be able to tell you cracked your block when simply torquing the bolts? Or would you have to start the car to tell? Thanks for all your help
Old 02-24-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by splitfinger09
Ok so would you be able to tell you cracked your block when simply torquing the bolts? Or would you have to start the car to tell? Thanks for all your help
You more than likely would of known when you torqued. The torque wrench would of gotten loose or snapped violently when you were trying to torque once the block cracks. If you're pulling the heads off and cleaning the bores, it wouldn't hurt to spend a little time looking for minute cracks. Hey, just as my signature states....

Quick Reply: You guys oil your head bolts on an LS1?