Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys oil your head bolts on an LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default You guys oil your head bolts on an LS1?

I am gonna install my TFS 215s this week. I got the stock heads off & am cleaning eveything up. I see the new head bolts have sealer on the threads, are you guys oiling the head bolts before installing them? I looked in alldata & didnt see anything about oiling them. Is there a different torque spec for the TFS 215s compared to stock heads? Thanks guys, I did a search & couldnt find the info I was looking for.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:19 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

no, install them as dry as you can! You dont want anything to expand down in those holes.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You also don't want the oil baking to the head bolts. I am assuming new stock heads are what you're using?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Install dry and as clean as possible. If you can get a air hose and blow out the hole before inserting any new head bolt. Sounds like your are using TQ to Yield stock stuff, IMO you should at least spend some $$$ for APR head bolts (not studs) but at least the bolt.

As for specs depends on which bolt you actually use. When I use NON TTY Bolts I always did a 3 step process and following the factory pattern and building up to the max. Then one final pass to double chk.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:46 AM
8 Second Club

Install them dry. Stock new bolts will be fine as long as your not spraing it
Old 08-11-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I am gonna install my TFS 215s this week. I got the stock heads off & am cleaning eveything up. I see the new head bolts have sealer on the threads, are you guys oiling the head bolts before installing them? I looked in alldata & didnt see anything about oiling them. Is there a different torque spec for the TFS 215s compared to stock heads? Thanks guys, I did a search & couldnt find the info I was looking for.
I would reccomend ARP Bolts with there assembly Lube.My mechanic put Engine oil on these bolts, then I had to remove bolts for another reason, the Bolts would not come out and broke in the Block. Long story short, had to spend $500.00 on a new ls1 block. I cant speak for stock bolts, but for the ARP Bolts they need the assembly Lube.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
You also don't want the oil baking to the head bolts. I am assuming new stock heads are what you're using?
No, Trickflows.

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Install dry and as clean as possible. If you can get a air hose and blow out the hole before inserting any new head bolt. Sounds like your are using TQ to Yield stock stuff, IMO you should at least spend some $$$ for APR head bolts (not studs) but at least the bolt.

As for specs depends on which bolt you actually use. When I use NON TTY Bolts I always did a 3 step process and following the factory pattern and building up to the max. Then one final pass to double chk.

Damn, already bought stock GM head bolts from Scoggin Dickey but kinda wish I woulda got some ARPs now. I know about blowing all the junk out of the bolt holes but I gotta get one of those ARP thread chaser taps to clean the threads first.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

why not head studs thats what i was gonna use on my head install
Old 08-11-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

No, Trickflows.

Damn, already bought stock GM head bolts from Scoggin Dickey but kinda wish I woulda got some ARPs now. I know about blowing all the junk out of the bolt holes but I gotta get one of those ARP thread chaser taps to clean the threads first.
I know you're using Trickflows, I was talking about the bolts... Sorry for the confusion.

Just use a grinder and taper the sides off of your old stock bolts. Worked perfect for me.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SILVER 2288 SS
why not head studs thats what i was gonna use on my head install
Because studs are a PITA to deal with without removing the engine.

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
I know you're using Trickflows, I was talking about the bolts... Sorry for the confusion.

Just use a grinder and taper the sides off of your old stock bolts. Worked perfect for me.
I might just get some ARP head bolts so if I wanna spray it later & sell the stock bolts I bought.
I am just gonna get the tap tool. The bottom bolts came out hard, they were making that snapping sound coming out.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Internet Mechanic

No, Trickflows.

In the end either way you will be fine. I have myself always used ARP stuff so its more of a force of habit. Technically you can follow the GM, Helms, Chilton's manual as ALL those rebuild books use stock bolts in mind.

I do not have my book scanned but looking at a Cyl head. Left is front of Motor and Right is fire wall, there are 3 rows, the top is facing the valley plate, Middle row and the lower row that faces down to the motor mount.

The Sequence goes.

15, 13, 11, 12, 14

10, 3, 1, 5, 9

7, 6, 2, 4, 8

As per Chevy LS1/LS6 Perf Book

1st Pass all M11 Bolts in Sequence 22 ft lbs.

2nd Pass M11 bolts in Seq. 90 degrees

Final Pass M11 Bolts in seq, excluding Middle Length Bolts at the front and rear of each cyl head 90 deg.

Final Pass Med length M11 Bolts at fron and rear of cyl head 50 deg.

M8 Inner Bolts in Seq 22 ft lbs.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

In the end either way you will be fine. I have myself always used ARP stuff so its more of a force of habit. Technically you can follow the GM, Helms, Chilton's manual as ALL those rebuild books use stock bolts in mind.

I do not have my book scanned but looking at a Cyl head. Left is front of Motor and Right is fire wall, there are 3 rows, the top is facing the valley plate, Middle row and the lower row that faces down to the motor mount.

The Sequence goes.

15, 13, 11, 12, 14

10, 3, 1, 5, 9

7, 6, 2, 4, 8

As per Chevy LS1/LS6 Perf Book

1st Pass all M11 Bolts in Sequence 22 ft lbs.

2nd Pass M11 bolts in Seq. 90 degrees

Final Pass M11 Bolts in seq, excluding Middle Length Bolts at the front and rear of each cyl head 90 deg.

Final Pass Med length M11 Bolts at fron and rear of cyl head 50 deg.

M8 Inner Bolts in Seq 22 ft lbs.
Thanks, I have that info already, BUT if ARP bolts are used does this same torque spec apply? I found an article that was in GMHTP on an AFR heads install & they torqued the ARP head bolts to 75 ft lb.
Here is the writeup I found last night when doing a search. If you go down where they install the heads to the bottom left, they torque the head bolts to 75 ft lb.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...all/index.html

Last edited by flintwrench69; 08-11-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I have that info already, BUT if ARP bolts are used does this same torque spec apply? I found an article that was in GMHTP on an AFR heads install & they torqued the ARP head bolts to 75 ft lb.
If you use ARP, follow that numbering sequence, but do 1-10 entirely before touching 11-15. Do 1-10 in (4) passes, 1st @ 25lb-ft, 2nd @ 50lb-ft, 3rd at 75lb-ft, and 4th to double check 75lb-ft. Then do the top ones @ 22lb-ft and double check 11-15 again @ 22lb-ft.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:08 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ARP head bolts are the only bolts I use. I refuse to re-install heads with factory bolts anymore. Stock bolts are junk.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Internet Mechanic

As long as your giving a even clamping force down on the head your fine. You can stop but I only advise doing that once one of the passes is completely done as there is not force being applied to part of the head and not the other.

On my OLD LT1 I always did to 75 and I stepped it 25-50-75 following factory sequence.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:45 AM
9 Second Club

Because studs are a PITA to deal with without removing the engine.
You can pull the heads off with studs in the car no problems at all. I always recommend head studs.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
You can pull the heads off with studs in the car no problems at all. I always recommend head studs.
I would agree but at the same time head studs tend to be for race cars that frequently remove the heads. Such as 8 and low 9 sec Nitrous cars.

The OP seems to be someone who will be doing this once. The motor may grenade well before needing to get back into the motor.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:55 PM
^^^^x1 Registered User

I would agree but at the same time head studs tend to be for race cars that frequently remove the heads. Such as 8 and low 9 sec Nitrous cars.

The OP seems to be someone who will be doing this once. The motor may grenade well before needing to get back into the motor.
^^^x1
Old 08-11-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
ARP head bolts are the only bolts I use. I refuse to re-install heads with factory bolts anymore. Stock bolts are junk.
Where do you come up with this? ARP bolts break also. All my stuff has stock bolts... making well over 800hp on them. My friends Turbo car we even reused the stock takeout ones ... its making close to 600. Overkilling stuff is kind of a waste... like putting a parachute on my stock tahoe . You also dont need any other bolts just because you spray... There is no logic in this thread.... sounds like a bunch of hear-say and spend a lot so you have a peice of mind.

Dont over tighten the stock ones and they wont break.

I love doing things with stock parts that a lot of people cant do with performance ones.....lol.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Where do you come up with this? ARP bolts break also. All my stuff has stock bolts... making well over 800hp on them. My friends Turbo car we even reused the stock takeout ones ... its making close to 600. Overkilling stuff is kind of a waste... like putting a parachute on my stock tahoe . You also dont need any other bolts just because you spray... There is no logic in this thread.... sounds like a bunch of hear-say and spend a lot so you have a peice of mind.

Dont over tighten the stock ones and they wont break.

I love doing things with stock parts that a lot of people cant do with performance ones.....lol.
I would rather buy the ARPs & torque them to 75 ft lbs so I dont have to angle torque the stock bolts.

Quick Reply: You guys oil your head bolts on an LS1?