Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it tough to assemble a motor...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Good info. If you are balancing a stock crank with after market rods and pistons, the cost will likely be more. I had to have $120 in Mallory added to my last one plus $120 for balancing. If it is a stroker crank, weights will be much more correct.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been building engines for years, small blocks for 20 years. 20 years ago I got my ASE Tech Certification, I never used it for work ( Oilfield ), but I can tell you that building an engine isn't that hard with the proper tools & manuals. Putting a short block together is really basic. If you think that having a shop do it means that it will be done right, than you are wrong. I personally have seen a few motors go together at reputable shops with bad cylinder hone jobs, wrong ring gaps & many other things.

I think that someone that's serious about assembling their own engine can be much better than most shops will do to their engine. Just make sure that you have the proper tools & really study the manual's before beginning.

Also there is no satisfaction like hearing a motor you built fire up for the first time.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you know, how the hell is he ever supposed to learn to assemble or build an engine if he never does it. just because you don't know doesn't mean you should just go out and pay someone to do it. Find someone local that is willing to come over and help you for a small fee. i would do it for a 100 bucks just to teach you. none of it is really that hard it just takes expirience and that is something you won't get paying a shop to build it for you. .02.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:09 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Taspeed
you know, how the hell is he ever supposed to learn to assemble or build an engine if he never does it. just because you don't know doesn't mean you should just go out and pay someone to do it. Find someone local that is willing to come over and help you for a small fee. i would do it for a 100 bucks just to teach you. none of it is really that hard it just takes expirience and that is something you won't get paying a shop to build it for you. .02.
did you even read the thread, the consensus is that he should learn by doing but dont start learning with a engine that you need to crank over everyday and have as daily driver. what are you going to say "uh, sorry boss, i cant make it into work today because i spun a bearing on my motor". there are plenty of SBC and SBF you can pick of for cheap and learn the basics of them then jumping into an LSx motor.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp
did you even read the thread, the consensus is that he should learn by doing but dont start learning with a engine that you need to crank over everyday and have as daily driver. what are you going to say "uh, sorry boss, i cant make it into work today because i spun a bearing on my motor". there are plenty of SBC and SBF you can pick of for cheap and learn the basics of them then jumping into an LSx motor.
ok ...maybe you should go back and re-read my post. I said he should have someone who has expirience come and teach him...***.

Quick Reply: Is it tough to assemble a motor...