Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

restrictor pushrods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default restrictor pushrods?

Someone posted a little info on them. I have thought about using such a thing to:

a) keep the oil pressure in the lifters to keep them from collapsing
b) stop pushing all that excess oil up into the valve covers (more oil in the bearings/pan and less windage)

I'm wondering though if the reduced oil flow would cause any problems with valve spring and rocker life span.

Where would I get 7.400" pushrods with a reduced orifice?
Old 01-24-2004, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have used these in many street LS engines with great results.
They are installed in all of our wet sump road race engines also.
I'm sure many company's make them, we buy our's from Smith Brothers.
Kurt
Old 01-24-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try giving Manton a call. They can make anything you want, and get it there fast.

http://www.mantonracing.com

had a custom set of thick wall 11/32x7.600 rods with full ball ends for my T&D's in my hands in 1 day. If that ain't cool, i dunno what is
Old 01-24-2004, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

hey harlan......you don't have time to be replying to post.......you need to be making my motor plates (j/k)

Thanks guys. I'll get ahold of both of those places and see what they can do for me.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Watch out. If I'm not mistaken (and I usually am) you are reducing the amount of oil that flows to the main bearings by restricting the flow at the pushrods. Spun bearing may be the eventual result.

Check that out before you use them on a LS1 daily driver.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DaleMX
Watch out. If I'm not mistaken (and I usually am) you are reducing the amount of oil that flows to the main bearings by restricting the flow at the pushrods. Spun bearing may be the eventual result.

Check that out before you use them on a LS1 daily driver.

The bearing oil is entirely different. The bearings and lifters pull from the same passage but once the oil diverges, it won't meet again till it hits the oil pan. The oil that goes into the lifters then runs up the pushrods, out over the rockers and valve springs, and then rolls back down the inside of the block (wasted) to get back to the oil pan.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
Someone posted a little info on them. I have thought about using such a thing to:

b) stop pushing all that excess oil up into the valve covers (more oil in the bearings/pan and less windage)

I'm wondering though if the reduced oil flow would cause any problems with valve spring and rocker life span.

you need oil flow to cool the valve springs.even starting a new engine without using "spring spray" can cause a problem. i have seen a dyno test with see thru covers were they cut off the oil to the valve springs and the exhaust valve springs turned "cherry red" in 30 seconds. this test was done by chevy when they were having trouble with chevy stock block engines at indy because the "G" forces in the turns kept the oil from the valve springs. this is were the rocker covers with the sprayers inside came from.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by motorman
you need oil flow to cool the valve springs.even starting a new engine without using "spring spray" can cause a problem. i have seen a dyno test with see thru covers were they cut off the oil to the valve springs and the exhaust valve springs turned "cherry red" in 30 seconds. this test was done by chevy when they were having trouble with chevy stock block engines at indy because the "G" forces in the turns kept the oil from the valve springs. this is were the rocker covers with the sprayers inside came from.

hmmm....well I was not going to cut the oil compleatly....just lower the volume a little. bad idea?
Old 01-24-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

The restricted push rods do work on most applications. They really show their worth when using lighter weight synthetic oils. (eg. Royal Purple #9 or #11) I have been using these on the small block Fords and regular small block Chevy engines for years with no issues at all. Some people play games and restrict them too much or try too thick of a weight racing oil and then they have "issues" but I've never had any at problems all with my design. The 7.400 and 7.350 lengths are always in stock, sitting on the shelf.

Ed
Old 01-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Teching In

all i can say is the springs need oil to cool and if they get hot they go away. the spray bar rocker covers spray directly on the springs. when you expend energy you generate heat and it has to go somewhere. CC even sells a product called spring spray to put on new springs when you do a engine startup because the rubbing of the inter and outer spring generates heat and till the oil flows over the springs they will get hot.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Give Trend a call. There number is 586-447-0400. They have more pushrods in stock than you could imagine. They are one of the largest pushrod manufacturers in the world. Their the company that owns Diamond Pistons.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

The bearing oil is entirely different. The bearings and lifters pull from the same passage but once the oil diverges, it won't meet again till it hits the oil pan. The oil that goes into the lifters then runs up the pushrods, out over the rockers and valve springs, and then rolls back down the inside of the block (wasted) to get back to the oil pan.
Well if that is true then you are actually increasing the amount of oil that goes to the bearings. Ahhh, I see. My kung-fu is no good. I stand corrected.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by motorman
all i can say is the springs need oil to cool and if they get hot they go away. the spray bar rocker covers spray directly on the springs. when you expend energy you generate heat and it has to go somewhere. CC even sells a product called spring spray to put on new springs when you do a engine startup because the rubbing of the inter and outer spring generates heat and till the oil flows over the springs they will get hot.

No argument from me on the "oil cooling" effect, however, most engines pump way too much oil quantity up top to begin with, so restricting the "correct" amount, won't hurt anything. Like I said, I've been doing this for many years and have had no problems, AT ALL!!!

If you have heard of spring failure issues because of using restricted push rods, it's probably because the design used was a poorly engineered copy-cat and not one of mine...

Ed
Old 01-24-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have seen these tested on our dyno and they proved to be of no benefit in terms of extra RPM or RWHP.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:01 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only use the oil you need, and not the oil you don't. As for keeping the springs cool, that why I coat my springs @ PolyDyn. They need some oil, they just don't need a firehose... Call Ed, he has these down to an art. Ask the guys in the Ford world. They do this already with good success....

Quick Reply: restrictor pushrods?