Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Money no object... Best rocker arm out there...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redz_02
Come on, you know it's more like "you's guys". Leave the "Yall's" to us southern boys .

If it helps I'll be running Harlands.
I have the harlands now... they are what is most likely causing my issue.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jesel....
Old 08-24-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Come on, you know it's more like "you's guys". Leave the "Yall's" to us southern boys .

If it helps I'll be running Harlands.
Just for the record "Yall" is the singular form of the plural "All Yall."

I like the OEM rocker with the trunion upgrade for most applications. I did however, succumb to a set of Jesels when I got some Trick Flow heads awhile back - and I am now afraid I'll never go back to anything else.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the caveat being we are discussing a hydraulic roller application Im all about the Yella Terra Ultralites....I don't care if I have to replace a broken one down the road or not. Lightweight is what you want (and need) in a hyd set-up that you plan on buzzing.

I just built another engine which I opted to use them on and I have helped numerous customers with them. They had an issue a awhile back they corrected and the bottom line is there are alot of these rockers out in the field that haven't failed.

If we are discussing a solid roller its an altogether different story....

I'm assuming the OP is inquiring about a hydraulic application.

Speak to ten guys and you will get a half dozen different opinions but I like the YT's alot

Cheers,
Tony
Old 08-24-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
With the caveat being we are discussing a hydraulic roller application Im all about the Yella Terra Ultralites....I don't care if I have to replace a broken one down the road or not. Lightweight is what you want (and need) in a hyd set-up that you plan on buzzing.

I just built another engine which I opted to use them on and I have helped numerous customers with them. They had an issue a awhile back they corrected and the bottom line is there are alot of these rockers out in the field that haven't failed.

If we are discussing a solid roller its an altogether different story....

I'm assuming the OP is inquiring about a hydraulic application.

Speak to ten guys and you will get a half dozen different opinions but I like the YT's alot

Cheers,
Tony

I DO care if one or two breaks down the road, I drive my car, alot. Getting towed home, maybe having aluminum pieces fall into my engine, having multiple days worth of downtime while waiting for parts to be mailed from AU.

Sorry. That really isnt an option in my book.

I value your opinion greatly.. Not to bash it.. But MTBF is not really something I want to play with.

The jesels are pretty light?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nysbadmk8
I DO care if one or two breaks down the road, I drive my car, alot. Getting towed home, maybe having aluminum pieces fall into my engine, having multiple days worth of downtime while waiting for parts to be mailed from AU.

I value your opinion greatly.. Not to bash it.. But MTBF is not really something I want to play with.

IMO, the Jesels were still designed around the premise a solid roller would be used....I dont think they are as light as the YT's.

Regarding the YT's, Im comfortable the reliability of the newer rockers are much better. They addressed a problem with a batch of rockers that shipped a looong time ago and IMO their customer service handling the situation was impressive.

A Jesel or a T&D would be of course be ultra reliable.....will it work as well at high RPM in a hyd roller application, probably not IMO. A stock rocker with the upgrade bearing would be reliable....and it would rev pretty well (they are light), but its going to cost you some valve guide life from the huge scrub pattern on the tip of the valve (its a square....not a rectangle).

Honestly, I don't see the perfect solution for you unfortunately no matter how much money your willing to spend.....but only you can decide which hook you want to hang your hat on and which compromise of the numerous choices you have looks the best.

-Tony
Old 08-25-2010, 01:01 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 03supercobra

One of my good friends had the same rockers on his motor and would rev to 8k, obviously with the other proper components.
whaaaaaaaaaaaaattttt?

Surely, surely, SURELY...not a hydraulic setup.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have installed a couple of sets of YT's and none have had any issues for what its worth. As for the Jesels, they are not problem free either. I know someone who had to pull them due to problems (he really likes the design and quality though) and is now using the YT's until he can resolve the issue with the Jesels.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
IMO, the Jesels were still designed around the premise a solid roller would be used....I dont think they are as light as the YT's.

Regarding the YT's, Im comfortable the reliability of the newer rockers are much better. They addressed a problem with a batch of rockers that shipped a looong time ago and IMO their customer service handling the situation was impressive.

A Jesel or a T&D would be of course be ultra reliable.....will it work as well at high RPM in a hyd roller application, probably not IMO. A stock rocker with the upgrade bearing would be reliable....and it would rev pretty well (they are light), but its going to cost you some valve guide life from the huge scrub pattern on the tip of the valve (its a square....not a rectangle).

Honestly, I don't see the perfect solution for you unfortunately no matter how much money your willing to spend.....but only you can decide which hook you want to hang your hat on and which compromise of the numerous choices you have looks the best.

-Tony

Jesel makes a a non adjustable setup for use with a hyd roller.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

you said money no object , go with Jesel , alot of people underestimate the importance of valvetrain stability in high rpm, Eric
Old 08-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Wow didnt know Jesel made a non ajustable for hyd roller, do you know what they cost and how long have they been out there, thanks Eric
Old 08-25-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EricD
Wow didnt know Jesel made a non ajustable for hyd roller, do you know what they cost and how long have they been out there, thanks Eric
Part # JESKSS-307070

Old 08-25-2010, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bastards i had to look at this post and click on the jesel link to see those J2S rockers!! I want them and a set of clear valve covers!!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the harlands now... they are what is most likely causing my issue.
Sorry, not current with acronyms (HS). I have used the harlands without an issue in the past.

Just curious, what makes you think it is b/c of the rockers?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry, not current with acronyms (HS). I have used the harlands without an issue in the past.

Just curious, what makes you think it is b/c of the rockers?
It is an issue that comes up decently often using those rockers in an application such as his.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 08-25-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not out of a Mag, Its straight out of brian tooleys and Mike @ TEA's Mouth.
Some valvetrain folks have been known to disagree with the above mentioned sources. Of course, some of those folks don't agree with me either.

Thoughts:

Properly designed and setup LS hydralic roller valvetrains with stock LS lifters, stock LS rocker arms, stock weight valves and the correct lobes, springs, retainers and pushrods can and do run 7900-8000 drag racing with no maintenance over many months/years? of racing. Believe it or don't orangeapeel.

As far as rocker requirements for higher revving (or any rocker for that matter) I'd say stiffness, low mass over the valve (low rotational Moment of Inertia) and low overall mass are important in that order. Roller tip rockers, even "ultralites" or Jesels have more mass (weight) over the valve than stock LS rockers. I have not yet seen an aluminum rocker arm assembly that was as stiff as a stock LS.

I, personally, would not want a valvetrain where I had to accept the "occasional" rocker arm failure.

Originally Posted by Darkman
Just for the record "Yall" is the singular form of the plural "All Yall."
Thanks for the correction. I'm a born and bred Yankee but lived south of the MD Line for a while. I never did quite understand "All Y'all". It seems redundant.

Regards,

Jon

"Who do you trust?" ...Joker (Batman movie)
Old 08-25-2010, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

look at these biotchs!!
Attached Thumbnails Money no object... Best rocker arm out there...-jeseljs2.jpg  
Old 08-25-2010, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

FWIW, I have had the YT's for 2 years now and have not had a single problem. This is on a .612/.610
Old 08-25-2010, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
As far as rocker requirements for higher revving (or any rocker for that matter) I'd say stiffness, low mass over the valve (low rotational Moment of Inertia) and low overall mass are important in that order. Roller tip rockers, even "ultralites" or Jesels have more mass (weight) over the valve than stock LS rockers.
I agree.... This is why stock rockers with a trunnion upgrade are hard to beat. Ive swapped a set of expensive shaft mount rockers on a 525hp engine before and it lost 10hp. They were too heavy and the valves started to float a little.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
whaaaaaaaaaaaaattttt?

Surely, surely, SURELY...not a hydraulic setup.

Sorry, not sure what i was thinking on that one, long day. It was up to 7500.

His new solid roller setup went to around 8200.

Quick Reply: Money no object... Best rocker arm out there...